Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

Registered
I just bought a Honda OEM tailgate lock from hondapartsnow, but I haven't installed it yet. Tried to get the lock re-keyed at a couple of different locksmiths and they said that they didn't have the Honda tools to do it. So I'll just install it and keep the lock key in the truck because the key is really big. I probably won't use it too much but in the Winter I sometimes have ski equipment in the back. Hey if your tailgate is stolen you have insurance (I assume ha ha). I know, deductible and all that stuff... but it's equivalent to someone stealing your wheels. If that happens you're probably not living in the safest area to begin with.

Premium Member
I just bought a Honda OEM tailgate lock from hondapartsnow, but I haven't installed it yet. Tried to get the lock re-keyed at a couple of different locksmiths and they said that they didn't have the Honda tools to do it. ...
Interesting... I am not aware of any special Honda tools that are needed to rekey one of their basic locks for there is nothing special about them that I have ever seen nor read.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
But the trunk locks, right? I don't think ANY of the tailgates lock, why would they, the beds are open...
If you add a shell, add a lock... I'd hate to have to unlock my tailgate every time I open it...
Opening the other 3 doors is frustrating enough since they stay locked even when the driver door is unlocked...
[/QUOTE]
I guess one could ask the question - why then do some truck makers put locks on their tailgates? Also, some bed covers don't have locks because they rely on the tailgate lock to secure the bed.

In any event, I recieved my Pop& Lock tailgate lock from ETrailer today and installed it. Pretty simple to do. Hardest part was attaching the wire near the fuse box under the dash.. Now the FOB locks and unlocks the tailgate along with the doors. I recommend it for those who want to lock their tailgates. Part # PAL8600.

Registered
Interesting... I am not aware of any special Honda tools that are needed to rekey one of their basic locks for there is nothing special about them that I have ever seen nor read.
Yeah maybe the guy didn't want the job. I've seen Youtube videos of guys re-keying different car locks. Didn't seem to be anything special

Registered
So I take my newly aquired 2018 RTL-E to a Honda dealer to get an oil change and I notice the tailgate does not lock with the FOB nor does it have a keyhole. I ask the service agent to have it checked out and he tells me the 20018's don't have tailgate locking capability. Are you serious???? Come on Honda!!!!! Can't lock a tailgate in this day and age??? OMG.

Anyone have any solution?. I noticed E-Trailer has something called Pop & Lock where you can install talegate locking to function with your FOB. This Pop& Lock requires some detailed installtion steps. .Any other solutions out there that someone can suggest?

:-:mad::mad::mad::mad:
I purchased the matching color handle with lock from Honda. A You Tube video showed me exactly how to install it. I had a locksmith alter the lock to match the key in the FOB. Works very well. I was cautioned, rightfully so, about just using the pop and lock kit without a manual alternative. If the pop stops, how will you get the gate open. Good advise. The manual is fine for now. Enjoy

Registered
So I take my newly aquired 2018 RTL-E to a Honda dealer to get an oil change and I notice the tailgate does not lock with the FOB nor does it have a keyhole. I ask the service agent to have it checked out and he tells me the 20018's don't have tailgate locking capability. Are you serious???? Come on Honda!!!!! Can't lock a tailgate in this day and age??? OMG.

Anyone have any solution?. I noticed E-Trailer has something called Pop & Lock where you can install talegate locking to function with your FOB. This Pop& Lock requires some detailed installtion steps. .Any other solutions out there that someone can suggest?

:-:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Honda has a new tailgate lock that the dealer can install. I just had one installed on my 2018 ridgeline

41 - 51 of 51 Posts