Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When backing out of my driveway on to the street, wheels turned to the left
stop. Put Truck in drive, take off, truck moves forward approx 20 ft. I hear a
clunk as if the trans is engaging. Seems to be from the right side.
Is anyone else experiencing same thing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
RRPRTS said:
When backing out of my driveway on to the street, wheels turned to the left
stop. Put Truck in drive, take off, truck moves forward approx 20 ft. I hear a
clunk as if the trans is engaging. Seems to be from the right side.
Is anyone else experiencing same thing? Thanks.
There's two common sounds that can happen when you first start out. By default the door locks will lock at 9mph. At 12 mpg the VSA/ABS will do a self check and can sound like a clunking or sproing noise. Perhaps you are hearing one of those.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Thought I might have heard it once, but not certain I didn't run over a stone or something. Coincidently I have been researching Honda brake systems because my wifes `01 Accord Coupe is making clinking and clunking noises. There is a Honda Technical Bulletin, which I have only been able to find parts of, that states ALL Honda brake systems will make noise after changing directions due to some designed slop (i.e. clearance) in the calipers and pads. Local dealer confirmed this for me. Hope this helps you track down the problem. May not be tranny at all. Dealer said you don't have to be braking for the pads to move in this extra space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Steve's reply nailed it on the head. I have the same noise/issue with my 2003 MDX, and the technical bulletin covers the issue well. I think the caliper noise is less noticable on the RL verse the MDX.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
This is from the Honda TSB;

Brake Click:
Have you noticed your brakes making a click noise when going in reverse then again when in drive? A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. So, the next time you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single "click" noise you hear is just a normal characteristic of the braking system.

Brake Groan:
After starting your vehicle, have you ever wondered what that groaning noise is when you first begin to drive in forward or reverse? On models with a compact anti-lock brake system (ABS) unit, your vehicle's ABS emits a brief grunt or groan when it does a self-check. The self-check occurs when a vehicle is backed up or driven forward after being started. This noise is associated with the ABS self-check and doesn't mean there's a problem with the ABS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vertrkr said:
There's two common sounds that can happen when you first start out. By default the door locks will lock at 9mph. At 12 mpg the VSA/ABS will do a self check and can sound like a clunking or sproing noise. Perhaps you are hearing one of those.

Thanks for the info. Today I will park so I can go forward, and see If I hear
the noise. I also understand the brake pad click. The noise I hear is not that.
RRPRTS

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have noticed that "click" or "clunk" also. I can also feel it through the gas
pedal when it happens. It doesn't seem to be coming from the brakes. It
sounds like its coming from somewhere in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed the same noise once. I would describe it as a clunk. I was backing down my driveway, and I too turn back to the left. I heard a clunk an stopped thinking a hit something. I looked all around and found nothing. I figured it may have been a bag of playsand I had in the truckbed somehow moved, but now I wonder if it is the same thing you described.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think the Honda service bulletin nails the origin of this sound. My wife's Accord has been making this "noise" for a year and a half. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The past couple of days I have been trying different things. I have parked straight, started truck, pulled off. The sound is intermitting. A couple of times I heard it, a couple of times it did not make the sound. The noise I hear is definately not the brake pads shifting. It really sounds like its in trans possibly coming from right side. It also seems to always do it in the am after backing out of my driveway then pulling off. Its made the noise pulling off quickly or slow. I have yet to try going forward and then reverse, vice versa. I will continue to listen and see if I can get more info. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've noticed the same sound in my Ridge. Hear sometimes when starting from stop and immediately turning the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts