Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the LCA (both sides), sway bars (both sides), strut assey (both sides), drivers outer tie rod and drivers wheel bearing and am still getting a noise. I tighened everything down. I get a metal to metal clanging noise when going over bumps. I don't know where its from.

I took a few vids of under the car while driving over bumps but don't see anything from that point of view. I also got an alignment done. Repair shop I called said it might e the rack and pinon. Any test for this. It drives tight and only has 115k miles.
Does anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
260 Posts
I replaced the LCA (both sides), sway bars (both sides), strut assey (both sides), drivers outer tie rod and drivers wheel bearing and am still getting a noise. I tighened everything down. I get a metal to metal clanging noise when going over bumps. I don't know where its from.

I took a few vids of under the car while driving over bumps but don't see anything from that point of view. I also got an alignment done. Repair shop I called said it might e the rack and pinon. Any test for this. It drives tight and only has 115k miles.
I get a slight vibration noise when going over bumps at speed, its two pieces of the body hitting where there used to be weather-stripping, both my passenger doors are missing some molding so i have a little extra cabin noise and some noises like that.

With all the repairs you have done I think its probably something similar to my issue but how you can replicate it is a part of the diagnosis, when do you notice it, is there any bumps where it doesnt happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get a slight vibration noise when going over bumps at speed, its two pieces of the body hitting where there used to be weather-stripping, both my passenger doors are missing some molding so i have a little extra cabin noise and some noises like that.

With all the repairs you have done I think its probably something similar to my issue but how you can replicate it is a part of the diagnosis, when do you notice it, is there any bumps where it doesnt happen?
If I drive on the highway I can't notice the sound over the road noise but other than that I can. I had a local mechanic test drive it today and he thought it was metal on metal coming from the front end which what it sounds like, but he couldn't tell when he was outside the car. (probably due to the engine noise). His boss didn't want to take on the task of "hunting down a noise" & told me to take it to the dealer. I had a bug guard on there that was slightly broken so I took it out to elminate that from the equation. BTW if this noise doesn't turn out to be the FCA shocks so far they are riding very nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strut Bearings?
Strut Bearings?
I replaced the whole assey. It was brand new. Where are the bearings?

The other mechanic who I called and the one who test drove it 1st both thought it might be the top bolt on the strut. I think whats making the noise also contribuited to the early failure of the drivers wheel bearing. I'll post a couple go pro vids while driving over bumps tommorow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I replaced the whole assey. It was brand new. Where are the bearings?

The other mechanic who I called and the one who test drove it 1st both thought it might be the top bolt on the strut. I think whats making the noise also contribuited to the early failure of the drivers wheel bearing. I'll post a couple go pro vids while driving over bumps tommorow.
I had to tighten my top strut mounting bolts on my 06 RL, but I was able to make the noise by making the kids lift up and down on the front end to locate it. :) It ended up being the driver's side. From inside the cab it sounded like it was from the front but hard to locate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to tighten my top strut mounting bolts on my 06 RL, but I was able to make the noise by making the kids lift up and down on the front end to locate it. :) It ended up being the driver's side. From inside the cab it sounded like it was from the front but hard to locate.
what did you tighten them to (ft-lbs)? I really don't want to play with them b/c I just had an alignment done and that would affect the camber unless there are way off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
On my 2008, I had to replace an engine mount on the passenger side near-ish the windshield washer fluid pipe. I thought it was a suspension component until I got it to make a noise in Park but with the vehicle at a banked angle. Hard to diagnose but a replacement fixed it. I mostly heard it going over bumps…

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,798 Posts
Sounds like you did the sway bar end links. Did the sway bar bushings also get replaced (these are completely separate from the end links)? Check all subframe bolts. Engine mounts as mentioned are certainly a posibility.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
570 Posts
Check the hood latch for excessive play. Gently tap the corners of the hood with your fist and lift up near the latch to see if you can replicate the noise. Also, check the guide pins on all four brake calipers making sure they're greased properly. If dry, they'll rattle over bumps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Frontstrutuppermountingnuts:33ft.lbs

I used this document:

Since I could visibly see and hear those upper bolts move once we got close, that was my problem. My kids had fun using a stethocope pressed against a metal part until they got close enough to the sound when making the vehicle move up and down. LOL

Reactions: Clayton Gripslee

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frontstrutuppermountingnuts:33ft.lbs

I used this document:

Since I could visibly see and hear those upper bolts move once we got close, that was my problem. My kids had fun using a stethocope pressed against a metal part until they got close enough to the sound when making the vehicle move up and down. LOL
I verifitd all 6 strut bolts were at 33 ft. pounds. They all were.

Next I attached a gopro to the brake line in the wheel wells on both sides, but don't see anything out of the ordinary. I think it might be the inner tie -rod.I'll rent the tool and let you know how it goes tommorow.

What I did realize is is that it only makes noise when the wheels arn't in the same plane so inother words if I go over a speed bump straight on it won't make a noise. If I go in at an angle or take a gravel path then if make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds silly but check the windshield washer bottle. My 2008 it came loose and made a heck of a noise when going over bumps. I ended up using a wire-tie it to attach it to the fender

·
Registered
80 Posts
What brand strut assembly did you use? I had problems with KYB on the fronts so I bit the bullet and got OEM's and my noise was gone. I still stuck with KYB for the rear though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What brand strut assembly did you use? I had problems with KYB on the fronts so I bit the bullet and got OEM's and my noise was gone. I still stuck with KYB for the rear though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FCS. It was too hot today to work on it today. I'll try to get to the bottom of this tommorow morning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the sway bar bushings making noise on my 2006. I changed a lot of parts before I discovered the cushings were causing the noise over bumps. They were just old and didnt look to bad but because they can be a bit difficult to change I had a shop do it 6 months ago and all is well. Drove me crazy hearing the noise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Crazy think is I had a rattle over repetitive bumps in my Corvette. I found the noise went away with a slight pressure to the brakes.
Turned out the front in pad was causing a metallic/rattling noise.
I replace the brembo retaining spring and all quiet.
So try applying the brakes very lightly over a bump area and see if you noise goes away.

Good luck, I really hate rattles, squeaks,.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have what I believe to be the same problem with my 2020 RTL-E. My dealer has replaced the front left strut without fixing the problem. I am really at a loss for my next move.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had a similar issue on 2007 1st gen. Check the heat shields around different locations on the exhaust system. Took me forever to find it but that was it! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts