Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum - first post...

My 2008 RTS with only 65k suffered from a very noisy power steering pump, primarily after being driven a few mins to operating temp. The whine was not insignificant - easily audible within the cabin with windows up.

No leaks at all and fluid level was good (and fresh), so I had resolved myself to the fact that the pump would most likely need to be replaced at some point. The steering assist was still good, so I put off the job for over a year, all the while driving around feeling pretty low-rent.

I found a fix that cost a buck and 15mins (apologies if this is widely known on this forum).

Basically, it is a simple o-ring replacement of the pump supply line. This o-ring tends to flatten, losing the seal. The results were immediate.....at first. Then the whine returned briefly a time or two within days of the repair, which I think was due to remaining air in the system that took a few days to fully void. In any case, the pump has operated quiet as new for well over a month. To me, this is added testimony to the quality of that pump - 10 yrs old and starved of fluid for over a year and still works like new.

All info for the fix, including part nbr can be found here:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,166 Posts
Well, even though it is well known for long time forum members, newer members often don't find it right away, some even repair multiple other items at the round about way to this solution.

I will still say great first post.
:grin:

Would you mind either providing the source or a link to the source either by updating the original post (you can edit it)
:nerd:

Or I'll copy it to the first post.

One question did you already replace the power steering fluid & many replace reservoir at the same time as it has a filter built into the bottom of it.

Reactions: Schlegs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Carsmak. I figured it was already on here somewhere...

In answer to your question, the fluid was only about 2yrs old. I did not, however, change the reservoir (did not know there was a filter there) but will keep that in mind for the next time.

I still couldn't locate a previous post describing this fix (after searching "power steering pump", etc.).

For the source link, are you not seeing the Youtube video link in my original post up top? I laid that into the original post and am seeing it on my end.

Thanks again - glad to be on this forum..

·
Super Moderator
7,166 Posts
Oh know, I see the video link, but haven't watched it because I am away from home and using my phone data to even make this post.

I was more thinking where did you get the two o-rings from and were they OEM or another source, found on eBay or Amazon, and maybe you even had the dimensions or something.

It's the weekend and most G1 owners aren't on the site as much. Far more active on the G2 side.

I'll add some links when I get a chance to the other posts, and I added tag but should really add a few more so it can be found easily. Older threads rarely have Tags and as you have seen rarely do members make such a clear title,especially when it takes several attempts to determine the source of the problem.

Maybe try the vB search as it is better then Google when on the forum, or try the "Search this Forum" in the blue banner 1G Mods, Installs and How-To's part of the ROC. Search for Power Steering Fluid Change or PS Flush or something like that, or I'll add links later..

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,363 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,363 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Carsmak and speelever. Yes, it was OEM - picked up the part from the local Honda dealer. I say it was $1 but it was so cheap they just comp'd it.

Good videos...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this (O ring replacement) on my 06 as well, as I had the same symptoms, unfortunately it's been a month since I did it and no improvement. I'll check the reservoir, but I've ordered a pump just in case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great forum - first post...

My 2008 RTS with only 65k suffered from a very noisy power steering pump, primarily after being driven a few mins to operating temp. The whine was not insignificant - easily audible within the cabin with windows up.

No leaks at all and fluid level was good (and fresh), so I had resolved myself to the fact that the pump would most likely need to be replaced at some point. The steering assist was still good, so I put off the job for over a year, all the while driving around feeling pretty low-rent.

I found a fix that cost a buck and 15mins (apologies if this is widely known on this forum).

Basically, it is a simple o-ring replacement of the pump supply line. This o-ring tends to flatten, losing the seal. The results were immediate.....at first. Then the whine returned briefly a time or two within days of the repair, which I think was due to remaining air in the system that took a few days to fully void. In any case, the pump has operated quiet as new for well over a month. To me, this is added testimony to the quality of that pump - 10 yrs old and starved of fluid for over a year and still works like new.

All info for the fix, including part nbr can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyb1JN4A-PM
how do i tell which o ring on my 2007 ridgline ps pump is causing the noise

·
Registered
86 Posts
how do i tell which o ring on my 2007 ridgline ps pump is causing the noise
Just change both, literally a 5 minute job and good preventative maintenance even if only one needs replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem as the rest of you, whine when it warmed up. I did the O ring on the low pressure hose with no change. I picked up a rebuilt pump from my supplier, but in procrastinating on changing it I just changed the fluid. It was like chocolate syrup when I drained it, I removed the reservoir and ran a whole bottle through to try and clean it out a bit, and I thoroughly cleaned the reservoir as the bottom was full of sludge. I put the reservoir back, filled with new fluid, let it run for a bit while rotating the steering wheel lock to lock and now it's quiet as can be. Now I just need to return the pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have replaced both o rings with some improvement. Still some whining. I am planning to flush the fluid and replace the reservoir tank. What is the best way to accomplish this?

·
Super Moderator
23,363 Posts
Reactions: feetdry

·
Super Moderator
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did this (O ring replacement) on my 06 as well, as I had the same symptoms, unfortunately it's been a month since I did it and no improvement. I'll check the reservoir, but I've ordered a pump just in case.
I know its an old post, but I have replaced every single hose, reservoir, flushed fluid completly, even replaced the steering rack (was leaking). And its still got the familiar pump whine. I had previously replaced the pump. I guess it could be a bad one. But this is getting ridiculous. No loss of fluid. Check it daily when possible. No noticeable leaks, or driveway puddles.

Gonna give the o-ring replacement one more shot before moving on to the pump. Again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts