Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If price vs mileage increase was not the deciding factor, would you consider non ethanol gas? I was thinking more about the engine and CAT and the affect of ethanol on these parts.

Also, is non ethanol available in all states in the US? I have two stations within 8 miles of my house.

·
Registered
975 Posts
In my opinion non-ethanol fuel is always preferable if you have the choice.

I do use ethanol adulterated fuel in my RL most of the time but that's only because I know I will burn through it quickly and it's sold everywhere. I don't know about other states.

Where I live non ethanol fuel is readily available. I use it 100% of the time in my seasonal equipment.

Corn likker is for drinking, not motor fuel.

·
Registered
521 Posts
In my opinion non-ethanol fuel is always preferable if you have the choice.

I do use ethanol adulterated fuel in my RL most of the time but that's only because I know I will burn through it quickly and it's sold everywhere. I don't know about other states.

Where I live non ethanol fuel is readily available. I use it 100% of the time in my seasonal equipment.

Corn likker is for drinking, not motor fuel.
What dk said..

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
There's only one station anywhere near me that sells ethanol-free gasoline, but it's really not convenient. I can't remember the last time I used gasoline that I was confident was ethanol-free. Virtually every gas pump around here has a sign that reads either "CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL" or "MAY CONTAIN UP TO 10% ETHANOL". Most are the latter. To me, either one means the same thing - I'm only getting 90% gasoline. It's been so many years and so many vehicles since this ethanol mix began that I can't offer any personal experience as to its real-world effect on fuel economy, performance, or prices. I've been using it for years in automobiles, motorcycles, generators, lawn mowers, chain saws, trimmers, blowers, and pressure washers - many of which were designed before the days of 10% ethanol - and have never experienced any problems related to fuel quality. So, I understand there are technical and political arguments, but I suppose I'm blissfully unaware of any problems with it and never give it much thought.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only non ethanol fuel avail here in Ontario, is select brands premium fuel only, so with the price of premium it becomes prohibitive, so my car & truck run regular 10% ethanol fuel.

I too use the ethanol free in my toys though, since the fuel may sit longer etc.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
I go out of my way to get non-ethanol gas and always will as long as it's still available. Shell here in Canada is my only trusted source.

J

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Sad to say that e-fuel is about all you see anywhere in So Cal. I suppose maybe you can get real gas somewhere if you looked hard (I really don't know... in this liberal state I wouldn't be surprised if real gas has been outlawed... but I don't think so). Anyway, the only thing I've seen for years (maybe decades?) around here is ethanol tainted.

Hell, I'd still be using leaded fuel if they still made it for older cars. Just irrationally opposed to some of these 'newer' approaches to getting clean.... at least emotionally..... I really do understand what the 'aim' is.... just don't like the routes taken to get there much of the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can get non-ethanol fuel at my boat mariana and a few other locations on Oahu. Thankfully the state is now working on getting rid of the ethanol requirement for all gasoline grades.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the stations around my area carried ethanol and non ethanol, the sales may be surprising especially in the mowing and toy season. Speedway carries e85, but not no ethanol.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Try this:

http://www.pure-gas.org/

PS: I went to fill up with Shell from Flyin J in Kitchener and the pump said "Contains up to 10% Ethanol"

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If I find it here in Nebraska I'll fill up, however it used to be on average .10 more expensive and I'd use it. Now days you can't find it (regular unleaded) for more than at least .30 cents or more which doesn't make sense. Go to Missouri and it's pretty cheap on my trips to KC.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,877 Posts
Ditto what dk miller said. I burn nonEgas in my power equipment exclusively. I would also burn it in my RL except the price diff is prohibitive. When I ran a 7 month test on it, my mpgs improved around 1.5 mpg or so.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only thing that concerns me is the reputation of the station. The station is emart brand and is small, beer and cig type market, but they are fairly busy at the pumps so I assume if there were problems business would not be so good.

Who regulates enthanol and non ethanol gas? How do we know that it is non ethanol and does not have more than 10% if ethanol gas.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The only thing that concerns me is the reputation of the station. The station is emart brand and is small, beer and cig type market, but they are fairly busy at the pumps so I assume if there were problems business would not be so good.

Who regulates enthanol and non ethanol gas? How do we know that it is non ethanol and does not have more than 10% if ethanol gas.
I believe each state has it's own rules about what has to be posted. Don't know if there's also a federal minimum requirement.

·
Registered
602 Posts

I hear you Mike...I'm in Smyrna and the only two stations that are ethanol free are two stations that I would NEVER go to otherwise.

FWIW, I used non-ethanol for about 3 months a couple of years ago and did not notice a difference.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That list is certainly not complete for Washington state. Needs many additions.
There is the option to add to the list if you know of more stations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Man, I haven't seen a station around Atlanta with non-E gas for years now.

Maybe outside the metro area but even them I'm guessing it's still 10% mix, just not labeled on the pumps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Overheard a lady in the break room yesterday talking about her 2012 camero. She took it in and the dealer said the injectors are shot and not covered under warranty because she uses ethanol gas.

Never heard of a warranty repair not covered because of using 10% or less ethanol. Now if she used E85, that would be another story, but how would they prove it.

She plans to call GMC.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts