Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, long time listener, first time caller...

I've been looking through the exterior pages for roof rack options for my '11 with sunroof.

Is there any option for Yakima / Thule without having to drill? Anyone found a way to connect to the stock mounts? From the OEM rack install instructions it looks like landing some Yakima pads to the set above the drivers door and the rear set would be simple? Shown on pg 2 here: https://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/09rack.pdf
I'm just not a huge fan of the look of the OEM system.

· Registered
2014 Sport
4,389 Posts
I installed Yakima tracks in the rain gutter area without drilling into the truck. I took 3ish foot lengths of .75 hollow aluminum square stock and formed it to fit the curvature / contours of the rain gutter area (with the trim cover removed) I then drilled holes in it and bolted it to the stock studs that the factory roof rack mounts to.
This square stock then served as a surface to mount the Yakima track to using their nutsert system. The threaded inserts expand into the hollow of the square stock. To finish it off, I cut the trim pieces to mate up to the Yakima tracks up front. . .

I did this about 10 years ago, well before any aftermarket options were available and it has held up well. I use my truck for renovation work and the rack has seen some serious loads. IMHO. the factory rack is an ugly piece of fluff, not suitable for carrying much in the way of loads.

I also made a heavy duty rear section for the rack to increase the spacing between the rack crossmembers. That's a story for another time. . .

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed Yakima tracks in the rain gutter area without drilling into the truck. I took 3ish foot lengths of .75 hollow aluminum square stock and formed it to fit the curvature / contours of the rain gutter area (with the trim cover removed. I then drilled holes in it and bolted it to the stock studs that the factory roof rack mounts to.
This square stock then served as a surface to mount the Yakima track to using their nutsert system. The threaded inserts expand into the hollow of the square stock. To finish it off, I cut the trim pieces to mate up to the Yakima tracks up front. . .

I did this about 10 years ago, well before any aftermarket options were available and it has held up well. I use my truck for renovation work and the rack has seen some serious loads. IMHO. the factory rack is an ugly piece of fluff, not suitable for carrying much in the way of loads.

I also made a heavy duty rear section for the rack to increase the spacing between the rack crossmembers. That's a story for another time. . .
That's super clean looking, & exactly what I want / was thinking of. I liked the Yakima mounts for ease of install / removal, had that setup on my Element.

· Registered
2014 Sport
4,389 Posts
Yes, the Yakima towers and cross bars are super quick to mount to the landing pads that stay attached to the tracks. When I first built this setup I was shocked at how noisy the front crossbar / towers were when mounted. Putting on the Yakima deflector helped but in the end I decided to simply carry the assembly underneath my rear seat and put in on the roof whenever I needed to haul long objects. The deflector stays attached to the rear portion of the rack to keep it quiet and help a bit with aerodynamics.

I really wish that manufacturers would come up with a more standardized system that racks can mount to. The rain gutter itself could be engineered to function as an adjustable track that towers could mount to. No need for anything permanent sticking up at all. . .

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same noise issue on my round bar Yakima rack. Used to pop them off but then found my foam board pads disturbed the flow & stopped the resonance. Think I might try one of the aero shape bar options this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.