Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it. My 2 day old RTL is about to loose it's cherry :mad: . I know it's a truck and I plan to actually use it but I thought I'd be able to keep it looking new for more than 2 days :mad: . It looks like I'm going to have to haul about a yard of dirt tomorrow. So much for the pristine bed. I'm sure the shovel will make lots of scratches. Oh well, the first time is always the worst. I thought about putting down a tarp but since I'll have to shovel the dirt out, I'm sure it will just end up tearing. Part of me is actually considering renting a truck instead of useing mine.

How long did your RTL's bed stay a virgin?

·
Registered
626 Posts
About a day. We went to the hardware store and picked up 4x8 sheets of pegboard. It scratched the bed. And you know what I said? "Oh well, it's a truck. It's not supposed to be pretty." (secretly, inside, I was crying)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Don't do it! I'm a firm believer that this bed should be kept clean, no scratches, no marks of any kind. Others here say a truck is a truck and plan on using it that way - to each his own. The only way to keep the back clean is with a bed mat but that won't work if you have to shovel (and it won't protect the sides). The best way is don't use it so just rent a high sided trailer and haul your dirt that way. If you do not have a hitch rent a U-Haul for $20 and be done with it.

I have had trucks for many years but don't like to use them as such - I just think trucks are neat with the Ridgeline being the neatest of the neat. I'm never putting a hitch on mine nor do I plan to ever have the tires leave the pavement. It is going to be used as a car 99% of the time but with the quality, toughness, flare and coolness that comes with the Ridgeline and its looks.

If I do haul stuff to the dump, I have a big, thick, old comforter that I toss back there and it even goes up over the sides. It provides good protection and I fold it up when not in use. But if I ever have to haul things like dirt or rock I promise you it won't be in my Ridgeline.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You could invest in a sheet of plywood. 5/8" should do. Cut it to fit your bed length (tail gate included) Put it in before the dirt! Just be careful to shovel out against the plywood, not the bed sides. After all, it is really kewl we can do this as a 4 foot wide piece of plywood will fit between the wheel bumps :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think I have that same tarp! It is very, very durable. Just last weekend I used it to haul a load of bark for our flower beds. I used a steel rake to pull the bark out. It kept snagging, but no tearing what so ever. BTW, I used the tarp for easy cleaning, unloading, and to prevent bark from flying out down the Interstate.

Back to your first question. I picked my TRUCK up on Thursday and used it to haul two loads of dried up sod to the landfill that Saturday. Because I had laid the old sod down as a "place holder", it had picked up some rocks. Needless to say as I was sliding the sod in place, the bed scratched. My first reaction was "Oh crap!" That lasted about 2 seconds, then I was thinking, "Hehh." :rolleyes:

If you use a trailer to haul stuff instead of the bed, why did you buy a TRUCK. The engineer part of me just doesn't understand why someone would buy something and not use it. Why not just get an SUV (Pilot) or MINIVAN (Odyssey for the ride, safety, confort) if you are just going to hook up a trailer? I don't get it. If I buy something I use it. I am not against the folks who want to keep their TRUCK looking good, but for goodness sakes USE THE BED MAN! :eek:

Shortspark.....are you for real!?

·
Registered
311 Posts
My bed is pretty tore up looking just from parking my RL outside. Don't worry about it, use the bed. It'll get scratched up anyways. Maybe you could just delay your project for a month and then you'll feel better about it. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that people tend to baby their RTL's much more than RTS's. Maybe it's the leather and all the fancy gizmos that go along with all the muscle that make you RTL owners feel bad about doing actual work with your truck? :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, mission accomplished. Now I just need to go wash it. Time to check for leaks :). I was very impressed with the power when fully loaded. I'm sure I had more than 1500 lbs in it and it handled the weight with no problem. I noticed that since it's got independent suspension, you don't get as much articulation in the wheels. When I was getting out of the yard with a full load, I needed to climb over a small burm at an angle. I got the front left and rear right tires light and they started to spin, VSA kicked in and it stopped. I popped the trans into 1st, turned off VSA, hit the VTM-4 lock and away I went :D . It was cool to see that everything worked the way it was supposed to.

PS. I've seen threads about some cleaner called 303 or something like that that is supposed to work wonders on the interior trim. Where do you get it? Schucks hadn't ever heard of it.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Try this, real cheap, until you find a better bedline protector.
$9.95 per package = 4ea 2'x2' mats in each package.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tried those. The zigzag seam ended up in the center valleys of the bed and they kept unattaching themselves--eventually blowing out! Ya can't keep them in when not hauling something.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I put Duct Tape underside if seams and buggie cord at back of bed. Try a buggie at front of bed also.

Home Depot has a version of thes Anti-Fatique mats that are made of super tough black rubber but cost $24.95 per package.
I tried these cheaper foam mats and may get the Home Depot type later.
They wont blow out when you have no load but are quite heavy.

Here are more pictures. Cut a set to protect tailgate when down and slid them under the ones in the bed while gate is up.

Whats nice about the foam pads is that they are light and storage lid stays up.

To: Ruffles- Not very good for hauling dirt. But it is anti-skid and helps things from sliding around in bed.

Joe

·
Registered
430 Posts
Scratches vs. Duct Tape Gunk.

Either way, you would have to spend some time "cleaning" when it comes to reselling the Ridgeline or trading it in.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Or hit it with a $5 can of spray paint and be done with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts