Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my scangauge2 back from linear logic after paying the $25 update. I tried really quick to see if ATF temp was available out of the box before we left with the boat for the launch this evening, but I couldn't get it quickly.

However, when I got home, I found the thread with all the parameters to enter so that I can monitor my live Transmission temp (yes, I have a 2009 ridgeline so this info is accessible unlike previous model years).

That said, I would like to know what is a realistic range that my transmission operating temp should be while towing? I have a feeling it's getting hotter than optimal, yet not quite hot enough to throw the "trans temp warning light".

About 15+ minutes after getting home and shutting off the truck (after backing/jockying the boat up the Gravel RV parking into the back where the boat stays), the trans temp was still at about 192. That seems a bit on the high side, but I have no frame of reference.

I am pretty excited that I can now finally monitor my transmission temp while driving, but need more insight into the significance of different temp ranges.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
About 15+ minutes after getting home and shutting off the truck (after backing/jockying the boat up the Gravel RV parking into the back where the boat stays), the trans temp was still at about 192. That seems a bit on the high side, but I have no frame of reference.
The phrase I made bold is why your ATF was that hot. Modern lock-up torque converters are super-sloppy/loose, which heats the fluid quickly when they're not locked up. That fluid temp is not too hot at all, though, and depending upon the ambient temp, that 192F reading may not have been much lower than what it was when you were jockying the trailer around.

When I'm just driving up and down the highway, TC locked, my ATF may be as low as ~105F even after 30 miles of driving, assuming an ambient temp below about 85F. Even when it's 115F here, if I'm just driving down the highway cruising, ATF temps are rarely above the 120s - 130s. Unlock the TC in traffic, or to pass, or towing, or anything at all and it'll shoot up quickly.

I doubt you have an issue.

***EDITED TO ADD:

Towing a trailer with a couple motorcycles on it last summer, even at 110F ambient and pulling up a steep hill with my foot on the floor, I do not recall ATF temp exceeding ...215? I don't recall for certain any more. I may have posted the temp on the forum here. Engine coolant temp was climbing faster than ATF temp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I towed a bit this weekend and watched the temp. I still drove it pretty easy, and on a couple of the jaunts, it topped at 193. I did a 1/2 hour tow and it topped at 203. The ATF temp would tend to be higher than the coolant temp though, but not by a ton.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I think it went to 215 while backing the trailer in.

Thanks for the insight. it's always good to know what "normal" is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts