Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
And we all know Jeeps are some of the safest vehicles on the road. Haha! Scotty Kilmer was laughing so hard when he talked about the results of this test. Jeeps are Jeeps and Jeeps tip over.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lotsa very vehicle-specific factors in-play there .... though the small-overlap test is relatively new this is mentioned as a 'first' - a fair number of SUVs have made it without tipping-over.

IMO nothing here that could serve as a basis for predicting behavior of other, even 'similar', vehicles.

I sure don't consider them to be the 'be-all-end-all' but personally I do appreciate and consider the IIHS tests in buying decisions.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
I wonder if the culprit is not much of a "bumper" in front of the front tire, thus allowing the tire to "climb" the offending obstacle. This would be even more true if the wheel in question was under power.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
Now imagine one of the dozen or so very slightly modified sold at so many dealerships, you know with "Oversize tires"...

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,903 Posts
I am no expert, but I used a current gen Honda pilot to compare.

First off basic specs

2020 Pilot (2016+)
GC: 7.3"
Wheelbase: 111.0"
Height: 70.6"
Track (F): 66.3"
Curb weight: 4235lbs (2020 EX AWD)

2020 Jeep (2018+)
GC: 9.7"
Wheelbase: 118.4"
Height:73.6"
Track (F): 62.9"
Curb weight: 4167(2019 Unlimited Sport 4-Door 4WD)

On the small overlap (DR side) looking at the Jeep & Pilot, the Pilot's driver side wheel crushes on impact with the wheel well (by the door frame). Also, the ACE body structure of the Pilot, along with the wheel, seem to take the brunt of the impact while keeping the vehicle upright and stopping it at the scene of impact.
Looking at the Jeep, the frame portion (above the front driver wheel), just deforms, pushing the vehicle to the passenger side 'skimming' the barrier. Also the wheel gets under the body and looks like the Jeep just rode over the wheel/tire. The wheel did not appear to bake apart.

From just the specs, given the ride height and the total height, along with the track of the vehicle, it is predictable why it could roll over in a small overlap test/collision (previous generation Wrangler unlimited 4WD 4-Door had a 27.9% of rollover). I believe the IIHS article mentioned a possible ejection of occupants,which is scary and is beyond what the test was intended to measure (thus no result). I cant even imagine how I would feel if I was in a Wrangler with my kid and wife in the car and this thing just topples over on its side and drags across the road.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
Now imagine one of the dozen or so very slightly modified sold at so many dealerships, you know with "Oversize tires"...
On my way to work this morning, I saw a Gladiator with grossly oversized tires. The truck was in show-room condition and didn't appear to have ever been off road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts