Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of you "real truck" guys saying that the Ridgeline is not a real truck.

If you are referring to the definition of "real truck" as carries and tows what you need and rides like sh!t, then you are correct, the Ridgeline is not a real truck - it carries/tows what you need WITHOUT compromising the ride.

I regularly tow about 4500 pounds of camper and no compromise in ride comfort - unlike your supposed "real truck"

I have had the payload maxed out with a half yard of river rock, or fully loaded with mulch, you name it, it has been in the back of my Ridgeline.

I challenge you to lay a 4x8 sheet in the back of your "real truck" - you can't, I can.

The RTL-E is actually cheaper than the GMC mid-size AND it has more options AND has a much better reliability track record.

Hey moderator, how about kicking some of these idiots who like to come on here and start crap when they don't even own a Ridgeline.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
We pull a Casita travel trailer with our 2017 RL and it does very well, I'm totally happy with it and how both work together. Talk on the traveler trailer forums is that they could not pull a small 5th wheel trailer, add to the suspension for upgrades, and the fact that it has a uni-body construction, this is where I feel the term "Not a Real Truck" comes from. For us in the future we may want to increase our travel trailer size and it will take a 1/2 ton, or 3/4 ton PU to do the job and the RL will need to be replaced. All being said, everything has it's limitations and the RL is no different.

trainman

·
Registered
170 Posts
This thread is dumb. You're a grown man, you shouldn't get that angry about what other people think about what you drive.
yes........be glad, happy whatever that we RL owners made the right/ intelligent choice for our needs...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have noted that this post was for that Salty Monkey on the thread about the Ridgeline sales numbers,that was closed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Honda Ridgeline is a “Mechanical Mule” . It may not be the biggest, it may not be the strongest or the prettiest....but it’s the best at doing a lot well! Which is what it was designed to do and why I bought it over other vehicles. I could care less about what others don’t understand or don’t want to learn. IMO a lot of truck people buy their truck for imagine only. Security and self worth is in the individual, not in the 4 wheels he or she rides on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Delivered my 900lb 2-up/dump-bed convertible extended wheel-base quad, about 200+lbs in the bed trunk and 220+lbs in the cab without me about 45 miles from the house back to the ranch after repairs from my 17 yo son rolling the ATV twice. That included residential, highway, paved county and 1/2 mile light off road to get it back to the cabin. I did add chains to support both sides since there was a lot of weight on the tailgate. 300lb rated (each) turnbuckles help make it tight and the chain gracefully pops off with when the tailgate latch is pulled. The turnbuckles are the weakest part of that contraption. I used those pads to keep from scratching up the tailgate when using the metal ramps. I wouldn't try this in any other midsize truck (may not fit width-wise or damage the tailgate) and you won't still get over 20 MPG unless it's a diesel full size truck.

He jumped off the ATV when it happened and was fine but the plastic dump bed shattered on one side on top of other minor issues and needed to be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I wish I knew photoshop; I'd take that pictured Ridgeline (loaded with the ATV) and photochop it into the bed of my "realtruck", all just to get your goat! Then someone else can photochop that pic onto their Real Truck (Peterbuilt). The right tool for the job is all that's required.

My tool provides over 5300 pounds of cargo and is rated to pull 24K. My load is 4K pounds on the bed while pulling 16K; 10-11 MPG.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wish I knew photoshop; I'd take that pictured Ridgeline (loaded with the ATV) and photochop it into the bed of my "realtruck", all just to get your goat! Then someone else can photochop that pic onto their Real Truck (Peterbuilt). The right tool for the job is all that's required.

My tool provides over 5700 pounds of cargo and is rated to pull 24K. My load is 4K pounds on the bed while pulling 16K; 10-11 MPG.
Nice upgrade, Wrascal! I would say if that can't pull it, it can't be pulled! :surprise:

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
No matter what happens, there will ALWAYS be people who bash the Ridgeline for not being a "real truck" or a "minivan with a bed". I've seen this ever since I started actually caring about the RL almost 10 years ago. Anytime a Motor Trend, Jalopnik, etc. article hits Facebook, it's a foregone conclusion that there will be several misinformed, inexperienced nimrods who comment just to make themselves feel better about buying a $60,000+, lifted parking lot queen of a truck that never does any actual real work. I've found that commenting back about the reliable, useful, tough and rugged nature of the RL is entirely pointless. If anything, I only now comment if someone spouts false information about the RL just to simply challenge them to find the factual information. Only so much you can do with people who don't want to listen. They can have their "real trucks". I'll hold onto my paid-off, tough-as-nails, swiss army knife of trucks and keep happily rolling down the road.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Blentre, glad your son is ok.

I hate to admit this but for the 1st time since I’ve purchased my RL, and with utmost respect to us as owners, I have to agree…it is NOT a “real truck”. I know this will cause an explosion of arguments about the RL’s capabilities (one that I would have jumped on and defended tooth and nail), but please let me explain:

I love my RL, and as someone else in this thread stated it does a lot of things really well. It’s a great overall vehicle that's taken our family up and down numerous fire trails when camping, it's almost unstoppable in the snow..perfect vehicle for us. If mine ever decides to call it quits, I’ll prob. replace it with another RL..but only if they add a volume knob… JK LOL!

Anyway, these past few weeks I’ve been rebuilding a 40’ retaining wall. This has required the removal of 14 yards of dirt, multiple trips to the lumber yard to pick up between 1,000-1,200lbs of drainage rock per vehicle per trip, with one load of 1,500lbs of cement gravity wall per vehicle (thank gawd we had the rest were delivered).

The two vehicles are my 07 RL with 135k miles on it and my cousin’s 02 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd, quad cab 4.7V8, 200k miles (3rd engine but is a Dodge and that’s a whole other story haha). Both vehicles have a similar payload capacity.

When my RL is at near max payload, the truck does well as far as suspension travel, acceleration, and braking are concerned, but an annoying creaking sound develops behind the dashboard (something I’ve never heard before when carrying this much weight and it goes away when unloaded). This tells me that the uni-body is doing what it’s supposed to do…it’s distributing the weight of what’s in the bed. But it also tells me that as my RL is aging, the body may be flexing more than before. Even with the higher mileage, this is something we’re not experiencing with the Ram. The full frame of the Ram simply handles the weight better. Heh, it’s the only thing the Ram does better! With the constant argument of “it’s a truck!” NO “It’s a minivan with a bed!” B.S.! My opinion is that it is a truck, but when fully loaded the uni-body is not as durable as a body on frame “real” truck. Please don’t hate me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
But the RL does have a frame. At least the 2gen RL who’s sub frame has had some of its engineering styles used on the 2019 Ram 1500...

I assume if your friends Ram was AWD it would have about a 1100 pound limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
It's not a real truck and that's the way I prefer it. The RL is not meant to do super heavy towing or hauling. It punches above its belt line mostly, but it does have its limits. I have regularly put 1000+lbs in the bed with the truck riding low, but handling it like a champ. My most egregious violation of the payload rating was when I had 28 bags of concrete in it at 80lbs each. Doing the math, that's 2240lbs. I was only driving about a mile and a half from Home Depot to a buddy's house, so I gave it a go. Whereas it handled it, the truck did NOT like it. Squeaks and creaks abounded, but it didn't bottom out. After the concrete was unloaded, I whispered to my old girl that I would never do that to her again. She seemed relieved.

Different vehicles are built for doing different things. There is no doubt in my mind that a full size truck can and will haul/tow much more than a RL. That's just a fact. It's all about having the right tool for the jobs you do. You wouldn't use a sledge hammer to pound in a nail when a trusty old 20oz claw hammer will do the job.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's not a real truck and that's the way I prefer it. The RL is not meant to do super heavy towing or hauling. It punches above its belt line mostly, but it does have its limits. I have regularly put 1000+lbs in the bed with the truck riding low, but handling it like a champ. My most egregious violation of the payload rating was when I had 28 bags of concrete in it at 80lbs each. Doing the math, that's 2240lbs. I was only driving about a mile and a half from Home Depot to a buddy's house, so I gave it a go. Whereas it handled it, the truck did NOT like it. Squeaks and creaks abounded, but it didn't bottom out. After the concrete was unloaded, I whispered to my old girl that I would never do that to her again. She seemed relieved.

Different vehicles are built for doing different things. There is no doubt in my mind that a full size truck can and will haul/tow much more than a RL. That's just a fact. It's all about having the right tool for the jobs you do. You wouldn't use a sledge hammer to pound in a nail when a trusty old 20oz claw hammer will do the job.
My point exactly! haha she seemed relieved that's hilarious! I think we can all agree that the RL is awesome in many ways, perfect vehicle for most truck owners. The creaking behind my dash concerns me tho. Makes me think about the people on here who've discovered water leaks in the cab...is the stress on the uni-body when maxed out gonna pop seams? I'll report back next winter lol.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
My point exactly! haha she seemed relieved that's hilarious! I think we can all agree that the RL is awesome in many ways, perfect vehicle for most truck owners. The creaking behind my dash concerns me tho. Makes me think about the people on here who've discovered water leaks in the cab...is the stress on the uni-body when maxed out gonna pop seams? I'll report back next winter lol.
The massive overloading with the concrete happened about 5-6 years ago. I've had 1000+ lbs in the bed at least 2-3 times every year of my ownership. Still dry as a bone everywhere even though torrential downpours in the summer and snowy/icy winters. I think any vehicle that has doors, windows, sunroofs, vents, etc. is prone to some sort of moisture. Some are just unlucky, but I don't believe the water problem in the RL is all that widespread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I challenge you to lay a 4x8 sheet in the back of your "real truck" - you can't, I can..
I haven't researched it really but I assumed any truck can carry 4x8. it just doesn't make sense for auto makers to build trucks that can't fit the most popular sheeted material siZe.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
31 Participants
IanRTL
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing