Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I haven't researched it really but I assumed any truck can carry 4x8. it just doesn't make sense for auto makers to build trucks that can't fit the most popular sheeted material siZe.
Some of the full size pickups can, I believe, but none of the other mid-size trucks. It's all due to the wheel wells protruding into the bed whereas the RL has a flat floor in the bed. That's one of the best design features about this truck that I feel doesn't get talked about enough.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Some of the full size pickups can, I believe, but none of the other mid-size trucks. It's all due to the wheel wells protruding into the bed whereas the RL has a flat floor in the bed. That's one of the best design features about this truck that I feel doesn't get talked about enough.
Technically, most mid-size trucks can, but you have to have supports to keep the 4x8 above the wheel wells, or carry the 4x8(s) at an angle, both of which have issues of their own (particularly with drywall). However, the Ridgeline really does excel here, and can carry a greater quantity of 4x8 than most (if not all) other mid-size trucks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am averaging 24.6 mpg. When I drive between Atlanta and Charlotte on I85 I get 29 mpg. My REAL TRUCK friends get 12 mpg.....they get so glum and unhappy when they see my mileage. Real Trucks are gas hogs, over priced, and unnecessary for 80%+ of those who buy them to haul mulch bags from Home Depot. Many REAL TRUCKS are purchased to fulfill masculine stereotypes. Can’t wait to read the responses to this post!!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I am averaging 24.6 mpg. When I drive between Atlanta and Charlotte on I85 I get 29 mpg. My REAL TRUCK friends get 12 mpg.....they get so glum and unhappy when they see my mileage. Real Trucks are gas hogs, over priced, and unnecessary for 80%+ of those who buy them to haul mulch bags from Home Depot. Many REAL TRUCKS are purchased to fulfill masculine stereotypes. Can’t wait to read the responses to this post!!
You're absolutely correct, my purchase of A Real Truck was strictly for the macho factor.
While pulling this thing I expect 10 MPG (using more expensive diesel).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wow Wrascal ! That's a "real" nice truck pulling a "real" nice trailer. I'd say we are looking around $150k for those. Correct ?
And for that kinda money I would want the same setup. It's not a Honda product advertisement for sure.

Steve

You're absolutely correct, my purchase of A Real Truck was strictly for the macho factor.
While pulling this thing I expect 10 MPG (using that more expensive type diesel fuel).

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This (Not Real) truck was purchased earlier this month, along toward the time (some) Ford dealers start marking them down (in my case -$10K) to make room for next years models.

The 5th (purchased the day after the truck) is a 1 year old unit so came with a big depreciation (maybe 45% off MSRP) hit on the original owner, to my advantage.

At full retail your numbers would be a bit low - but that's not near what this Cheap Charlie paid.

Friday we started the site work so I can install a pole-barn and then have power run out to it. Over a dozen 120' pines needed to come down within a confined area. Don't misunderstand, by me I mean others - at my expense.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Despite my ribbing about the RL my new truck is not as comfy or economical as my former Ridge.

After the fact: I just realized this Not Real trailer has also gone by the wayside. Upgraded to a 7K rated 7x17 trailer (w/ loading ramps and brakes). I'm currently in a debate (with myself) as to if I should have it made over to a goose neck hitch - for a better load / balance (currently a bumper pull).

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK, Disclaimer, I know little or nothing about towing. THIS IS NOT OUR RTLE Deep Scarlet We bought our RTLE for many other reason, but some day may possible pull a smaller camper , like an A frame one. Out walking the dog we saw this RL not too far from our house. It kind of made the impression, thats a big boat for an RL. I am sure some of you know what it is, what it weighs etc. Just up close, it felt big and impressive, for what we imagine our RTLE pulling some day. File that under the " cool to know ours can do that" category.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My opinion is he's pulling too much; that tail is much longer than the dog and I suspect his tongue weight is not at 15%. Will it do it? Of course, but not within the margin of safety that I'd want.

Long ago I owned/ pulled a 24' 5K pound HiLo camper with my RL. It handled it safely BUT the Ridge would search for gears - and often ran with high revs - to the point of being aggravating on a 4 hour run.

One big difference with the HiLo camper (vs most bumper pulls, boats, etc) was the HiLo top nestles down over the lower half, so it didn't catch as much wind; I suspect that helped greatly in the handling characteristics.

If interested HiLo's are no longer manufactured but there is another company making something similar (I forget the name).

Attaching a pic (not mine) to demonstrate what I'm speaking of:

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
OK, Disclaimer, I know little or nothing about towing. THIS IS NOT OUR RTLE Deep Scarlet We bought our RTLE for many other reason, but some day may possible pull a smaller camper , like an A frame one. Out walking the dog we saw this RL not too far from our house. It kind of made the impression, thats a big boat for an RL. I am sure some of you know what it is, what it weighs etc. Just up close, it felt big and impressive, for what we imagine our RTLE pulling some day. File that under the " cool to know ours can do that" category.
Could be a little on the heavy side - I'd suspect about 5,500 lbs for this MasterCraft with the tandem axle trailer and some gear. However, I tow a 22 ft Glastron with a V8 that weights close to 5k and get 17 mpg on longer runs.

If his guy or gal is shuttling the ski boat locally I'm sure they are fine. The tongue weight on most boat trailers is actually between 5-10%. I know my monster boat trailer only squats the G2 1.5 inches. It squatted my RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 1.25 inches, so little difference. I feel safe towing it. It has surge drum brakes on the trailer...Not optimal but they work.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let's face it, everyone purchases a vehicle to suit their own needs, perceived or otherwise. I came close to getting a camper trailer once, but my wife and I decided go with the VRBO /Air BnB option instead, and let me tell you, the accommodations are a lot nicer! So my RL only needs to get our gun gear to the farm (with a little light off-roading), haul my motorcycle in a pinch, and rescue me from any excessive snowfalls we receive (not that many really). Of course, hauling building and landscape materials should be requisite for any truck and they can all do that job in my opinion, some a lot easier than others (RL is in the easier category).

I knew a guy at work that drove a 15 passenger van to work everyday. Not my idea of a commuting vehicle, but he was a Mormon with 7 kids!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've owned 6 Honda throughout my life from DD to track capable. I've got heat for it my entire life. I've heard every Honda lawnmower, four banger, my mustang makes more TQ at idle, that's the " Caitlyn Jenner of trucks" jokes in the book. But, I've also had faster 1/4 miles times with my h23a turbo crx, quicker lap times auto crossing my CL and better towing capacity/reliability with the Ridgeline than most of them, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Well let me start by saying I miss my RL, it had a lot of great features the most being the in bed trunk, and the flat flooring the backseat. My RL was a 2007 with 130,000 miles on it, it had some issues but not many but it was getting old and needed new struts, new ball joints, just replaced the complete exhaust system. Little things started costing me money so I decided to buy a new truck. I’ve looked at the new Ridgeline but I can’t wrap myself around the looks didn’t like it when it was introduced don’t like it now, I looked at mid size Chevy's, and Toyota, then the Ram dealer here was running a great deal on a lease, so that’s what I got. After 3 months of ownership I will say it’s a great vehicle, the ride is comparable to the Ridge, the gas mileage is great, 20 city, 27 highway, (no ****),I like the fact that it does sit higher, it does fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells. Again there are Pros and cons about the Ram as there were pros and cons with the RL. My biggest thing is I don’t like leasing I would rather own but I couldn’t pass up the deal, however I’m afraid to take it anywhere so no one hits it, I owned the RL and if was damaged oh well. Like I said, I miss my Ridge and no one can tell me it wasn’t a truck, hopefully Honda will make the 3rd gen look more truck like, if it would be like my 07 I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

The old and the new

Attachments

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Glad you're still enjoying your Ram, Dave. Still sad that you sold off the RL, but I'm right with you on the G2. It has some amazing features and most certainly a nicer interior (although it feels more closed off and cramped than the G1). It's got a strong engine and a great AWD system, but the looks just don't do it for me. The side profile and rear are actually quite nice. The front end - puke. Just can't get over how minivan it is. It's a truck and should LOOK like a muscular vehicle from the front. It shouldn't look nearly identical to a Pilot. It would not be difficult nor expensive for Honda to change this up. I'm going to keep my 07 going as long as I can. I recently noticed a few rust spots forming on the rockers and rear fenders, so it's just a matter of time before that eats the body panels away. Mechanically, it's still near perfect, so I'm hoping I can fend off the rust for at least 4-5 more years. By that time, I'm hoping the G3 is out and is much more to my liking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad you're still enjoying your Ram, Dave. Still sad that you sold off the RL, but I'm right with you on the G2. It has some amazing features and most certainly a nicer interior (although it feels more closed off and cramped than the G1). It's got a strong engine and a great AWD system, but the looks just don't do it for me. The side profile and rear are actually quite nice. The front end - puke. Just can't get over how minivan it is. It's a truck and should LOOK like a muscular vehicle from the front. It shouldn't look nearly identical to a Pilot. It would not be difficult nor expensive for Honda to change this up. I'm going to keep my 07 going as long as I can. I recently noticed a few rust spots forming on the rockers and rear fenders, so it's just a matter of time before that eats the body panels away. Mechanically, it's still near perfect, so I'm hoping I can fend off the rust for at least 4-5 more years. By that time, I'm hoping the G3 is out and is much more to my liking.
I used to feel the same way about the appearance, but I got over it and bought it anyway. I must say that it has grown on me quite a bit... I'm actually starting to kind of like the front end. I'm sure it has something to do with the amount of money I have invested in it though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, we are on our third Ridgeline now . . . loved our two previous G1s (2009 RTS & 2011 RTL). Interestingly, the "looks" angle was subordinated to the need for functionality from the beginning. Our original Ridgeline experience was prompted by our local mechanic who we consulted for advice on the best utilitarian vehicle (this was back in 2010) to serve not only as our family vehicle but also to tow our boat.

I think even he noted that we might have to get past the "looks" of the G1 but that we would be rewarded with dependability and amazing utility. Well, since the thing was a tool for us, I did get past the G1's rather odd profile pretty quickly when we experienced what the thing could do - including towing our boat. After a year and a half we got our '11 RTL and by that time became sort of fond of the "truckiness" appearance. But eventually we asked even more of our Ridgeline when - after a solid year of research - we bought our travel trailer. That '11 RTL towed that travel trailer for over 12,000 miles over 2+ years and did a super job. (I have taken lots of uninformed flak on RV forums for towing with our Ridgeline - some jabs specifically based on its "looks." Also I've posted lots of threads on this forum about our towing experiences . . . search if you're interested.)

This past December we traded that '11 for our current '18 RTL-E - only because we are at that advanced season of our lives wherein we wanted some creature comforts while still enjoying the utility and flexibility of a Ridgeline. But golly, the whole "looks" thing had to be dealt with again . . . but now from a different persecutive; i.e. "soft," "SUV-like" front end, not enough ground clearance, etc., etc. Before we traded for this '18, even one of our sons had dissed a G2 parked near us in The Woodlands - saying he "hated" the new Ridgeline look. Oh, well.

At any rate, just like our former, beloved G1 trucks, I've now come to really like the profile of our G2. Maybe Ive gotten used to it . . . maybe, like was said above it's partly because we paid a tidy sum for it (though we made a fantastic deal - see my post in the Shoppin' thread from back in January, I think). But I guarantee you, after a day of towing, our G2 allows me to arrive at our destination more relaxed than ever before - while doing "truck stuff" (I'm towing 4600-4700lbs - I've posted lots of other threads on this topic). The superb technology happens to be wrapped in a non-traditional envelope - but it just gets the job done and quite comfortably, thank you. Loved our G1s, but this G2 has not been a disappointment at all. It gets our "truck stuff" done regularly and often.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS &

2010 Tahoe Q5i S/F (just got it off the lake in this pic, so don't throw stones for the interior of the boat not being pristine!)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
To be clear, if my 07 were to be totaled or otherwise rendered unusable for whatever reason, I would likely have to look in the direction of the G2. Yes, I absolutely love my G1 for all the reasons posted above and more, but I probably wouldn't be able to swallow buying a 2014 with circa 2003 technology for $25k when I could get a slightly used G2 RTL/-T/-E for around $28-33k. I have no doubt I would "get used to" the front end styling and the closed-off feeling of the cab, but after driving my comfortable, familiar old girl for so long, it just wouldn't feel right for a long time. My next vehicle purchase will be in the spring of this year and it won't be cheap (likely around $35-40k for a 2016/17 Chevy SS), so a new truck isn't in the cards for at least another 4-5 years. We'll see where the RL is at that point. I hate the thought of putting my old girl out to pasture, but I know that day is inevitably coming. Taking her on a weekend trip up to Chautauqua Lake in western NY this weekend loaded up with cornhole, coolers and firewood.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
^^^The present is what matters most. Enjoy your "old girl" now for everything you love about it and try not to dwell on the the "inevitable". Just some friendly advice that I constantly give to myself... :)

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
^^^The present is what matters most. Enjoy your "old girl" now for everything you love about it and try not to dwell on the the "inevitable". Just some friendly advice that I constantly give to myself... :)
Yep. That's where I'm at, too. I'm always one to use pretty much everything until it's entirely unusable anymore. I yell at my wife when she throws away a tube of toothpaste that clearly has at least one or two more squeezes in it. That tiny little sliver of bar soap? It gets placed on top of a new bar and not thrown away. Random nuts, bolts and screws... I'll use them SOME DAY... naturally.

My 07 just keeps rolling right along year after year with regular maintenance. Some new front brakes and a full set of tires (only the third set I've had to put on) are in my near future. I do have a little bit of rust repair to take care of on the back part of the rocker panels before winter hits, too. It's starting to bubble and needs a good sanding, treating, priming and paint. I'll likely then bury it with some kind of rubberized sealant FlexSeal clear just as an added layer of protection. Anything I can do to keep that nasty R-word at bay...

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I drive between Atlanta and Charlotte on I85 I get 29 mpg. My REAL TRUCK friends get 12 mpg.....they get so glum and unhappy when they see my mileage. Real Trucks are gas hogs, over priced, and unnecessary for 80%+ of those who buy them to haul mulch bags from Home Depot.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
31 Participants
IanRTL
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing