Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a single trailer light, fuses fine [Solved]

I have a 2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL, just bought it used. The 2010 model comes with a towing package automatically.

I hooked up my trailer to it, not a single light of my trailer goes on (running, brake, turn signal, or otherwise). Put a multimeter onto the ridgeline trailer electrical under the bumper and there's not power on a single wire (even with headlights and hazards on).

I checked the posts here, and saw some people put in a 20A fuse into the "Small Accessory" fuse port #4 of the main fuse box in the engine compartment. I did that, still nothing on the trailer.

Saw some people put in a 7.5A fuse into the secondary fuse box in the engine compartment. This is where I think my trailer gets power because when looking at the cover it says things like t-brklt, t-runlt, something like that which I'm assuming is trailer brakelights and trailer runinglights. I put a 7.5A fuse in, and still nothing on the trailer.

I then took out all the fuses and checked, none are blown. There aren't any empty slots in the main engine compartment fuse box (except #3 which not only shows it's to be empty but there's not even wires to plug a fuse in). There also aren't any fuses missing in the secondary fuse location in the engine and they've been checked and pass.

What else should I look at? All fuses are in place and tested, there's not an "empty spot" except the mentioned #3 in the main. They've been tested and pass. What's the next thing, thanks!

**UPDATED 5/26/2015 ***

I took everything out, replugged in wires to control unit from PDF on this post, took every fuse out of the secondary fuse box and ran it through a continuity test.

Low and behold I started getting 12v when I had my parking lights on at the trailer wiring under the bumper. I hooked it up to my camper, and everything was good!

I hooked up my dump trailer, using a circle prong to trailer light adapter and not a single light. Hmm... had my buddy put his Chevy use the same adapter and everything was fine. We used another trailer adapter and same thing lights worked on his Chevy, mine wouldn't. Another buddy hooked up his GMC, worked for him (GMC & Chevy are same company so that makes sense). Did some multimeter work and the trailers ground wasn't good and after cleaning I didn't have time to check if the Ridgeline was working now. It's neither here nor there, I know my Ridgeline has power for a trailer but my buddy thinks the GMC/Chevy trailer light system is probably not sophisticated and allowing some type of feedback from the trailer through his truck so the lights were workin and thinks the Honda protects itself from feedback and hence doesn't work. I'm just going to guess after cleaning the ground on the trailer it will likely work on my Ridgeline too. Cheers and thanks!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Time to get dirty. I assume the trailer works fine with other hookups and it is not the trailer wiring. If you are sure it is not the trailer then:

First thing I would do now is get under the back of the truck and check the wiring for damage. Check the trailer plug and the hitch socket to be sure they are not damaged. It may be something as simple as a ground wire loose. Because of the location, the hitch wiring takes a lot of abuse. Trace it backwards from the plug as far as you can looking for problems.

If you find nothing wrong, my next stop would be a trailer service place or auto electrical shop. I advise these only because I hate going to the dealer for this sort of work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice PDF!

Okay this may be a dumb question. Was the 2010 Ridgeline RTL's ready to tow right from the dealer? That is, the truck should've come with the towing harness kit and all these pieces already installed as standard equipment and likely a piece has failed or come loose? Or did it come with the wires installed but say the control unit was a separate purchase? Maybe I'm assuming it came ready to tow and handle trailer lights, but actually it didn't.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Nice PDF!

Okay this may be a dumb question. Was the 2010 Ridgeline RTL's ready to tow right from the dealer? That is, the truck should've come with the towing harness kit and all these pieces already installed as standard equipment and likely a piece has failed or come loose? Or did it come with the wires installed but say the control unit was a separate purchase? Maybe I'm assuming it came ready to tow and handle trailer lights, but actually it didn't.

Thanks
Should have all been there ready to go on the RTL.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
It's possible a connector was left unplugged, or a relay is missing, from the factory. Since you've got a 2010 you're out of warranty, and this is stuff you can do yourself, this would be way cheaper than paying the dealer. And if you fix the problem - score!

Chip H.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In My 2006 RTL I had to bolt on the hitch to the frame and solder on the brake controller.

In my 2011 RTL, the hitch was already on the truck from the factory and I still had to solder on the brake controller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts