Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the clay bar on my ridge and a month apart i applied a coat of nufinish.
With all the reading i have been doing, I went to the autoparts store and bought some McGuire's gold finish. He said I could go right over the nufinish with it.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that, mixing common wax brands couldn't possibly do any harm. As for what brand is the best, who knows. I've tried both those and countless others. To my untrained eye they are all about the same when done. I think the best tip is layers. It's not the amount you put on but how many times (layers/coats) that will make a difference, mostly in how long it lasts and protection from the elements. Two coats is better than one, and three better than two. Comes down to how crazy you are and how much free time ya got :D

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have about driven myself crazy trying all different types of waxes and potions. I agree with vertrkr about the layers. It just makes it all last longer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are the best. And you are right, you can make your self nuts worrying.
I am so glad this site is here .

·
Registered
109 Posts
A couple of years ago Consumer Reports did an article on car waxes etc. Nufinish was numero uno even above all the expensive brands.

I've been using it since. Its cheap, you can get it anywhere and it works really well for me. It does seem like it attracts dust really bad but I can't remember if all waxes do that or not (we live in a dusty place - Taos).

I don't know how it rates today. Lots can happen in a 2-3 year period.

I have to admit that I got sucked into one of those "super, duper, beats fire and brimstone and the devil himself" (you know the one where they dump lighter fluid, ya lighter fluid of all things, on a new car hood, light it and then shows you no damage was done to the finish if you use their product) sales gimmicks at the big swap meet in San Diego a couple of years ago and spend $25 buck for a bottle of Perma Shield. It doesn't seem to be any better or worse than Nufinish. (They also make an Armorall like product now too).

I am detailing my 2003 VW Bug and getting it ready to sell and used clay for the first time. Man oh man, that stuff is dynamite. I waxed it after with Nufinish and the finish is really, really super. Feels like polished glass. CLAY IS GOODR STUFF BOYS (AND GIRLS)!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
At what point do you wax? It seems to me that a vehicle that is only a month or two old needs no wax for about a year. Am I right or wrong about this?

·
Registered
188 Posts
At least six months. I'll do mine in the fall for winter.
Just keep it clean until then.
Clay and polish if needed.
Wax twice.
Unless you think you need to care, all wax works.
I use Mothers carnauba cleaner wax after wash and clay.
Black looks great. :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Where do you guys get this clay bar? I've tried all of the usual places and struck out. Who makes it?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I meant a retail store.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I've tried:

Auto Zone
Advance Auto Parts
Napa
Wally World

That's why I asked.

Thank you.

:)

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have purchased clay bar products (Clay Magic was the brand I think) at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
198 Posts
shortspark said:
At what point do you wax? It seems to me that a vehicle that is only a month or two old needs no wax for about a year. Am I right or wrong about this?
When the water stops beading and starts leaving tracks, I break down and get out the wax. Burma Shave.

·
Registered
762 Posts
JulesK said:
I used the clay bar on my ridge and a month apart i applied a coat of nufinish.
With all the reading i have been doing, I went to the autoparts store and bought some McGuire's gold finish. He said I could go right over the nufinish with it.
Any opinions?

Its been awhile since I used it so I may be wrong but one thing I ran into with the meguiars gold is that you aren't supposed to let it dry to a haze before removing. When I first tried it I let it dry and it was a pain to remove and didn't shine that well. Once I started just applying it to a small area and wiping it off before it had time to dry it went easier and looked way better. Like I said though it's been awhile so my memory could be off and/or the product could have changed.

-Trevor

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use nufinish too, works like a champ and it comes off easy. I also use an orbital buffer on mine which makes waxing a piece of cake. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
JulesK said:
You guys are the best. And you are right, you can make your self nuts worrying.
I am so glad this site is here .
I agree, Jules. In all my years of owning cars, I have never enjoyed the post-purchase experience as much as I am with my RL thanks to this terrific web site. I do my best to visit daily to catch the latest posts. It's a lot of fun listening to everybody's experience with this unique new vehicle. I hope the novelty never dulls.

By the way, are you still planning a trip to Central VA this summer?

·
Registered
460 Posts
just a friendly reminder to all. the paint is still new and if i am not mistaken a new car's paint job can take up to 2 years to completely cure. i would recommend just washing and waiting some time before applying any after market coatings to that fine paint job................just a thought. i too have bought the permashield product and it even recommends this on the back of the label. ;)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I finally found a clay bar at the third Advance Auto Parts store I visited. It was inside a Mother's kit, which includes the detailer. I'm going to do it later this summer after the new paint cures a bit on the back.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts