Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport that's been very good. No issues whatsoever until today.

This morning I had winter tires installed by a large regional tire shop. The owner of the tire shop recommended installing 245/65R17 107S tires instead of the 245/60R18 105H that were installed and are recommended.

After less than 10 kilometers of driving (just a few minutes later), the Ridgeline started showing piles of errors.
  • Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
  • Adaptive Cruise Control Problem
  • Hill Start Assist Problem
  • Trailer Stability Assist Problem
  • Collision Mitigation System Problem
  • Power Steering System (EPS) Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
I called the tire shop right away. First they claimed that the warnings were already present when I dropped off the vehicle. (They were definitely not. I've never had an warning other than oil change reminders or low tire pressure. Fortunately, their own "inspection" report that they email automatically confirms that the warnings were not present.) They got back to me after the shop closed saying they will "scan the vehicle" if I take it back tomorrow.

How should I handle this?

Could these warnings be caused by the change in tire/wheel size?

Is it safe to continue driving the vehicle for now?

Font Display device Gas Gadget Machine

Vehicle Font Gas Gadget Technology

Font Display device Gadget Electronic device Gas

Font Auto part Display device Electric blue Vehicle

Font Screenshot Electric blue Display device Rectangle

Rectangle Font Display device Electric blue Gadget

Rectangle Gadget Font Display device Electronic device

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,591 Posts
Tire comparisons are virtually identical, 0.3% difference, so sensor alignment? Are your 17” wheels stock offset?

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
1,004 Posts
Please advise how they put a 17" tire on an 18" wheel??????? There's your problem.

245/65-17245/60-18Difference
Diameter inches (mm)29.54 (750.3)29.57 (751.2)0.04 (0.9) 0.1%
Width inches (mm)9.65 (245)9.65 (245)0 (0) 0%
Circum. inches (mm)92.8 (2357.14)92.91 (2359.96)0.11 (2.83) 0.1%
Sidewall Height inches (mm)6.27 (159.25)5.79 (147)-0.48 (-12.25) -7.7%
Revolutions per mile (km)682.75 (424.24)681.94 (423.73)-0.82 (-0.51) -0.1%

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
1,004 Posts
The only time I have seen all those warnings pop up was when I let the tank run out of gas while driving. Due to the engine stopping while the ignition system was turned on. Turning it off and on again did nothing. I was able to have all reset by turning the ignition off for more than two or three minutes. When I restarted after that, all was well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tire comparisons are virtually identical, 0.3% difference
That's the point the tire shop is making. They said the difference is so small that it shouldn't matter.

sensor alignment?
Is it possible that a misalignment would cause the warnings I'm seeing?

Are your 17” wheels stock offset?
I went with their recommendation for wheels. "X44754 17X6.5 RIM 5-120 MULTI WHEEL"

Please advise how they put a 17" tire on an 18" wheel??????? There's your problem.
The new tires are on a new set of wheels.

The only time I have seen all those warnings pop up was when I let the tank run out of gas while driving. Due to the engine stopping while the ignition system was turned on. Turning it off and on again did nothing. I was able to have all reset by turning the ignition off for more than two or three minutes. When I restarted after that, all was well.
Yeah, I was hoping shutting off and restarting the Ridgeline would be the simple answer, but it wasn't. It was off for a couple of hours this afternoon before I started it back up. All the errors are still there. (And there's almost a full tank of gas.)

Not sure why above was posted. It does NOT answer my question. I know all about changing profile/wheel diameter and how it affects overall diameter.
How does one actually install a 17"tire on an 18" wheel???
See my answer above.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts
@FrostyOfTheNorth did they install the correct sensors for the TPMS system?

If G2.5 is anything like G1, G1.5 or G1.75, if they skipped or tried to use some cheap knockoff version and the system cannot detect or recognize them, and that could be the issue.

@compprep the member purchased new 17” wheels for 17” Snow Tires, a common practice as Snow Tires are not available in anywhere near the selection of brands or sizes. Additionally anywhere you need snow tires you really appreciate the additional tire side wall, as freeze/thaw cycles cause potholes to occur frequently.

Lastly, the G2 and G1 have similar enough brake and various wheel parts and pieces that the G1 17” wheels are able to be used on G2 Ridgelines, multiple threads discussing this in the 2G, Tires, Wheels and Suspensions section including this thread: Wheels for snow tires

Moderator Note: Thread Moved

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@FrostyOfTheNorth did they install the correct sensors for the TPMS system?

If G2.5 is anything like G1, G1.5 or G1.75, if they skipped or tried to use some cheap knockoff version and the system cannot detect or recognize them, and that could be the issue.
I'll be sure to ask them that tomorrow. Are the warnings consistent with incorrect sensors -- or is it more a case of a wrong sensor leads to an assortment of warnings that may or may not match what I'm seeing?

@compprep the member purchased new 17” wheels for 17” Snow Tires, a common practice as Snow Tires are not available in anywhere near the selection of brands or sizes. Additionally anywhere you need snow tires you really appreciate the additional tire side wall, as freeze/thaw cycles cause potholes to occur frequently.
Exactly. They recommended the 17" wheels for those two exact reasons. That sounded reasonable, so I agreed.

Lastly, the G2 and G1 have similar enough brake and various wheel parts and pieces that the G1 17” wheels are able to be used on G2 Ridgelines, multiple threads discussing this in the 2G, Tires, Wheels and Suspensions section including this thread: Wheels for snow tires
Thanks for those links.

·
Super Moderator
7,615 Posts
I'll be sure to ask them that tomorrow. Are the warnings consistent with incorrect sensors -- or is it more a case of a wrong sensor leads to an assortment of warnings that may or may not match what I'm seeing?
Exactly, Yes obviously the errors would display differently, and your systems are more advanced, but without sensors or sensors which are unable to be recognized will result in the VTM-4 error which basically shuts down the system in the G1.X. If you can post or at least review your receipt, when I replaced my wheels with those from a 2016 Pilot, I had Costco sensors (generic aftermarket they carried) and I trusted them figured if I had issues well like everything else I see returned, they would actually make it right, 4+ years later no issues.
Exactly. They recommended the 17" wheels for those two exact reasons. That sounded reasonable, so I agreed.
Yea, I lived in snow country once upon a time.
Thanks for those links.
No Problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly, Yes obviously the errors would display differently, and your systems are more advanced, but without sensors or sensors which are unable to be recognized will result in the VTM-4 error which basically shuts down the system in the G1.X.
Interesting. Okay, that gives me something to go with when I take the truck back to the tire shop tomorrow.

If you can post or at least review your receipt
It doesn't specify the TPMS sensor types, but here's the receipt.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Parallel

Yea, I lived in snow country once upon a time.
Some things are better left behind. ❄🥶🧊

Thanks very much for the help!

·
Super Moderator
7,615 Posts
Ok so they charged you $50 CAD per, which without doing the math is comparable if not cheaper than the $30 something I paid in 2017 for my G1. Because they don’t specifically say make/model or say anything so they could be completely incompatible, requiring programming or forgotten to install. As for damage, I am not an expert in G2 systems or warnings, having glanced, my preference would be tow it back to them, if you drive it or need to drive it, I would disconnect the battery and entirely reset the systems and limp it back to them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you ever changed the battery? I have read on here people having their dashes light up like a Christmas tree when the battery is about to die. The reason I think that instead of the sensors is you have no TPMS warning light there.

Also, when you scroll through the display, do you see pressures? If so, that would tell me they are fine. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the start/stop button is starting to malfunction.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's a great idea - look at the pressure display and see if it gives a reading, or some type of error code. When I put snow tires on, with new sensors, they showed 58 PSI until they synced up - that may be some type of code indicating uninitialized or unrecognized.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Have you ever changed the battery? I have read on here people having their dashes light up like a Christmas tree when the battery is about to die. The reason I think that instead of the sensors is you have no TPMS warning light there.

Also, when you scroll through the display, do you see pressures? If so, that would tell me they are fine. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the start/stop button is starting to malfunction.
I can confirm if they drained your battery while changing the tires you would see these messages. Maybe your battery was near the end of its life and they finished it off for you by running something (music) while working on your vehicle.

Reactions: tmz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so they charged you $50 CAD per, which without doing the math is comparable if not cheaper than the $30 something I paid in 2017 for my G1. Because they don’t specifically say make/model or say anything so they could be completely incompatible, requiring programming or forgotten to install. As for damage, I am not an expert in G2 systems or warnings, having glanced, my preference would be tow it back to them, if you drive it or need to drive it, I would disconnect the battery and entirely reset the systems and limp it back to them.
The good thing is that the tire shop is only a block away from me. (Because of the convenience factor, I've been using this tire shop instead of Costco. If Costco was closer, I'd be going there instead.)

I just dropped off the Ridgeline to them. Based on the new comments here overnight, I'm having them replace the battery and reset the codes and we'll see what happens.

Sounds like they put the wrong TPMS sensors in. For reference, the Honda TPMS sensor is part number 42753-T3R-A04 and it is available at online retailers for about $22.
Thanks for the part number. I think based on the fact that the tire pressure does appear properly on the dash, the TPMS sensors are working properly.

If they mentioned that they programmed the sensors, that would be a red flag. The sensors don't need to be programmed on the G2 Ridgeline.
Good to know. Thanks.

I know that the battery is nearing end of life. And yes, the tire pressures do show up properly on the dash. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm having the battery replaced as we speak/type.

That's a great idea - look at the pressure display and see if it gives a reading, or some type of error code. When I put snow tires on, with new sensors, they showed 58 PSI until they synced up - that may be some type of code indicating uninitialized or unrecognized.
Yep, that's what I saw yesterday too. I kept an eye on the tire pressure as I drove away from the shop. Two tires showed the correct pressure right away. Two showed 58 PSI for a few minutes until they flipped to show the correct pressure.

I can confirm if they drained your battery while changing the tires you would see these messages. Maybe your battery was near the end of its life and they finished it off for you by running something (music) while working on your vehicle.
Excellent. I have a hunch that the battery is the issue. I was planning on having it replaced in the next couple of weeks anyway, so I'm having the shop install a new one this morning.

I'll update the thread once I know something more. I appreciate the responses from all of you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here's an update: this morning when I got to the truck, I found the rear brake lights were permanently on. That's very strange. I've never seen that before.

The tire shop just called and said that they found that the brake light switch is broken and is dangling under the dashboard. I don't know how that's possible.

Anyone know if the brake light switch is on the driver or passenger side on a 2017 Ridgeline? I did a quick Google search and don't see the answer to that. I'm trying to figure out how this is possible.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,564 Posts
I haven't looked at brake light switches in forever, but in the old days they were just a momentary pressure (plunger) switch located right behind the arm that holds the brake pedal. Push down on the pedal and the arm pushes the little plunger switch in to make contact, complete the circuit and light up the brake lights. That is where I would start looking.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts