Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Be aware that new batteries often need charging, also. Some new batteries sit on the shelf for a year. The new battery may have been at a low enough voltage to trigger the same event.

Whenever I get a new battery, the first thing I do is hook up a charger and top it off.
Good point. I'd expect that the shop know enough to have done that when installing the battery. I'll check about that once they open tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Here's the update. This morning the shop installed the OEM Honda brake switch and reset the codes. The brakes are now working as expected and the warnings have not returned.

I drove the car all afternoon and the only problem that I saw is the console screen went black and then appeared to reboot itself (went from functioning to frozen to black to the HondaLink logo that I see when the vehicle starts) while I was driving. It then seemed to return to normal.

So it appears that the issue was the original brake switch, and that was compounded by the third-party brake switch they installed on Friday also breaking. The owner of the shop said that Honda redesigned the brake switch so it's very different from the one that broke.

They charged me for the brake switch, battery, and installation, but not for diagnosing the issues. It still seems oddly random that the brake switch happened to brake while it was in their shop, but at least I have the vehicle back and functioning normally now.

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like low battery voltage. Common with 16+ Honda's. Once battery drops below 10.8v it sets off lights for most safety support systems. Signals a communication loss to gauge cluster, infotainment, vsa, eps, pgmfi. Test then charge or replace the battery. Drive the vehicle for a mile/km which ever you do. Then turn it off & restart. Everything should clear out once the voltage situation is fixed.
Yes, this. Low voltage will do crazy things to the RL. I have even had an issue where voltage would momentarily dip when the AC turned on, because I needed to reset idle. This causes lots of flashing errors and even made my transmission shift very hard. To be clear, the idle reset was necessitated by my installing an aftermarket intake.

Make sure the battery is good. Make sure the battery is connected securely. If that doesn't fix everything, take it to the dealer.

I suspect brake switch and tire size are red herrings.

Edit: Glad you got it resolved :)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Scarlett Pearl
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport that's been very good. No issues whatsoever until today.

This morning I had winter tires installed by a large regional tire shop. The owner of the tire shop recommended installing 245/65R17 107S tires instead of the 245/60R18 105H that were installed and are recommended.

After less than 10 kilometers of driving (just a few minutes later), the Ridgeline started showing piles of errors.
  • Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
  • Adaptive Cruise Control Problem
  • Hill Start Assist Problem
  • Trailer Stability Assist Problem
  • Collision Mitigation System Problem
  • Power Steering System (EPS) Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
I called the tire shop right away. First they claimed that the warnings were already present when I dropped off the vehicle. (They were definitely not. I've never had an warning other than oil change reminders or low tire pressure. Fortunately, their own "inspection" report that they email automatically confirms that the warnings were not present.) They got back to me after the shop closed saying they will "scan the vehicle" if I take it back tomorrow.

How should I handle this?

Could these warnings be caused by the change in tire/wheel size?

Is it safe to continue driving the vehicle for now?
I had the same errors on a brand new 20E truck. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The problem turned out to be a front wheel speed sensor was loose. The lights would go off and then come on a couple of days later. Finally, they came on when close to dealer and stayed on. The dealer saw that I had changed the rims and asked if anyone had "messed with" the speed sensors. It was Discount Tire and the answer was NO. They determined the factory had not put one of the sensors in correctly. Not saying the tire company did something to the sensor(s), but that is where I would start looking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How simple the old days were when you pulled in to your local Sears, talked to old "JOE" in service and speedo, you had a new set of tires (and tubes) on your truck, and away you went with no problems until next time tires were needed !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happen to my wife's 2017 CRV. I also read the internet and put a new battery in. No help. I went to my mechanic and he put his scan tool on it. It showed that one of the wheel sensors was bad. He replaced it for about 150.00 and no warnings after that. Its been a couple of months. BTW the wheel sensors become rusted in to the hub. This can be an easy dyi job or a bear. I had him do it and sure enough it was rusted in, it took some work to replace it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport that's been very good. No issues whatsoever until today.

This morning I had winter tires installed by a large regional tire shop. The owner of the tire shop recommended installing 245/65R17 107S tires instead of the 245/60R18 105H that were installed and are recommended.

After less than 10 kilometers of driving (just a few minutes later), the Ridgeline started showing piles of errors.
I called the tire shop right away. First they claimed that the warnings were already present when I dropped off the vehicle. (They were definitely not. I've never had an warning other than oil change reminders or low tire pressure. Fortunately, their own "inspection" report that they email automatically confirms that the warnings were not present.) They got back to me after the shop closed saying they will "scan the vehicle" if I take it back tomorrow.

How do they put 17inch tires on 18 inch rims and expect that to be safe? I'd have correct size tires for rims put on first, then take to Honda. I had similar warning lights issue with 2018 Odyssey, after 2days diagnosis & several 100's $$$ they decided it was ECU installed for add'l. 100's $$$. After couple days of driving issue went away. Problem is; Honda does not have an established protocol to diagnosis "Honda Sensing" issues.

hundred miles driven
View attachment 419464

View attachment 419465

View attachment 419466

View attachment 419467

View attachment 419468

View attachment 419469

View attachment 419470

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yes, this. Low voltage will do crazy things to the RL. I have even had an issue where voltage would momentarily dip when the AC turned on, because I needed to reset idle. This causes lots of flashing errors and even made my transmission shift very hard. To be clear, the idle reset was necessitated by my installing an aftermarket intake.

Make sure the battery is good. Make sure the battery is connected securely. If that doesn't fix everything, take it to the dealer.

I suspect brake switch and tire size are red herrings.

Edit: Glad you got it resolved :)
I'm still not convinced that the brake switch wasn't caused by them and/or that something else was happening that they caused and fixed without telling me. But I'm just happy to have the truck back and working (so far).

I had the same errors on a brand new 20E truck. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The problem turned out to be a front wheel speed sensor was loose. The lights would go off and then come on a couple of days later. Finally, they came on when close to dealer and stayed on. The dealer saw that I had changed the rims and asked if anyone had "messed with" the speed sensors. It was Discount Tire and the answer was NO. They determined the factory had not put one of the sensors in correctly. Not saying the tire company did something to the sensor(s), but that is where I would start looking.
Interesting that the dealer determined the factory was at fault. Speed sensor sounds more likely than brake switch to me, but I defer to those of you who know more.

Its good see everyone here posting thoughts and experiences. Great conversations and also good that the issue seems resolved. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
Definitely. I appreciate the comments and help. And happy American Thanksgiving! (We already had Canadian Thanksgiving up here.)

Same thing I was thinking. I see now where he put 4 new wheels on too, sorry.
👍

How simple the old days were when you pulled in to your local Sears, talked to old "JOE" in service and speedo, you had a new set of tires (and tubes) on your truck, and away you went with no problems until next time tires were needed !!
And let's not forget the 'ole ahwooga horn! 😂

I had this happen to my wife's 2017 CRV. I also read the internet and put a new battery in. No help. I went to my mechanic and he put his scan tool on it. It showed that one of the wheel sensors was bad. He replaced it for about 150.00 and no warnings after that. Its been a couple of months. BTW the wheel sensors become rusted in to the hub. This can be an easy dyi job or a bear. I had him do it and sure enough it was rusted in, it took some work to replace it.

Good Luck.
Interesting that the scanner identified the sensor being the issue. The tire shop didn't share the results of their diagnostics with me.

But so far everything is still working.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi everyone,

Being a loyal Honda owner, I would respectfully tell you to always deal with your Honda dealer, but obviously, it is too late for that. I guess we all have had similar situations where car repair places have tried to take advantage of us. The only way to get results in a situation like this is to go to the highest level of management or to the owner. They definitely should not have put the larger tires on your car. I do not know what damage can be done here but you have got to get your old tires back and go back to the Honda dealer and buy your tires. So sorry for you that this happened.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please advise how they put a 17" tire on an 18" wheel??????? There's your problem.
Believe it or not that is a pretty big difference and with these cars that walk and talk and are so techy... you don't change tires like that.. the electronic system is confused... Take it to the dealer they will tell you the recommended tires are recommended for a reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Believe it or not that is a pretty big difference and with these cars that walk and talk and are so techy... you don't change tires like that.. the electronic system is confused... Take it to the dealer they will tell you the recommended tires are recommended for a reason.
I didn't realize.. the 17" tire on 18" Wheel... rush back get your tires put back on and get out of there... don't do business with them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone,

View attachment 419464

View attachment 419465

View attachment 419466

View attachment 419467

View attachment 419468

View attachment 419469

View attachment 419470
wrong size tires, go back to original size. Car is programmed

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this issue and took it to the deal. My 2017 Honda Ridgeline 47k miles so out of warranty This was fixed for free since Honda they extended the warrrenty for the fuel injectors. I have included a copy of my invoice from the dealer (well the important parts)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Moral of the story....don't use this shop for your truck, ANYMORE! I had a shop do bad work on my Ridgeline. I did eventually small claims the shop. They lied out of their as*** to the judge. It was horribly insulting and costly. The judgement for me was about 10% of the additional cost that I paid for their ineptitude. No more private shops for me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (TPMS) WITH FILL ASSIST
This vehicle is equipped with an initiator-type TPMS.
• The Low Tire Pressure/TPMS indicator comes on if the air pressure
is too low in one or more tires. TPMS messages will also appear
on the multi-information display in the gauge control module.
• TPMS fill assist provides audible and visual guidance during tire pressure adjustment. Refer to the owner’s manual for details.
• The TPMS indicator will stay on and the system will set DTCs if all four tire pressure sensor IDs are not memorized by the TPMS control unit after you replace a wheel and/or tire pressure sensor.
• Refer to “Memorizing a Tire Pressure Sensor ID” in the service manual for complete information.
• The HDS (or equivalent) scan tool may be required to do this memorization. Contact a Honda dealer for assistance, if necessary.
From Honda Body Repair News

41 - 59 of 59 Posts