Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting a OBD-II scan tool. They really have come down in price over the years and the WiFi interface is just cool. Does anyone have a full list of the data is passed thought the OBD-II bus? I am probably going to go the iPhone route with a app like REV.I know you can get the basic engine parameters real time and clear codes. I just want to know if anyone knows how in-depth the data is the computer receives. Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

It has tables that show what data is reported. Obviously, different readers have different capabilities to read what the bus is providing.

The cheaper OBD-II scanners won't read what the dealer scanners will (at least that is what the word on the street is).

Harbour Freight has them for under $50 bucks and Wal-Mart carries one that goes for $98.00 which looks like a better item than the cheaper HF model.

HF does have a range of scanners tho, so you can get what your wallet will cover.

You can find them online at Amazon.com, or your local AutoZone or Snap-On, MAC Tools, Sears, etc. Not hard to find, just pick based on price and capabilities.

As for the wi-fi versions, not sure if the cycles per second rate of information transfer will be what you are looking for as they are not "real time" per se.

Kind of like the TPMS sensors on your wheels, they report about every 50 seconds or so, so if you're trying to rely on that timing cycle, you're not going to find it very useful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, but I know how they work. I just wanted to know if anyone knows the list of what parameters are translated through the ECM. The depth of data is program(decode/translate) and ECM dependent and I just wanted to research that before buying.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
And I am still trying to find out if the RL OBD II data stream can support more than one device at a time. From 2008 and on, it should have a CAN bus if that makes a difference.

But I have been unable to discover if I can connect a splitter so I can keep my OBD II data device connected and still leave a port open for maintenance or inspection purposes.

Let me clarify... I know I can connect a splitter. What I don't know is if more than one device can function at a time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That would depend on the wiring of the splitter. If the splitter wiring was the same for each output port and the input port (or plugin) had 2 wires from each pin that split out to each output port then yes, you would have the same info available for each device.

I re-read the above and it makes sense to me, but it not clear then,

pin 1 from the can bus plug in has two wires, blue going to output plug A pin 1 and the red wire going to output plug B pin 1.

pin 2 from the can bus plug in has two wires, yellow going to output plug A pin 2 and green going to output plug B pin 2

and so forth...

If you have a splitter you are thinking of using, then you can check it by using a meter to check continuity between pins at each end of the cable, or hopefully the manufacturer has a schematic printed somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
23,966 Posts
Thanks. I don't have one yet. But before I go to the expense of buying one, I'd like to know if it will work as I anticipate. I've read that only one device can be used at a time. If that's true, buying a splitter is a waste for what I want to do (leave my OBD device connected while keeping a free port for maintenance or inspection).

What I've read is that one device will take precedence over the other and/or the data will get scrambled.

I've relocated my OBDII port up in the dash so I can secure my device which sends out data to my GPS. (Garmin ecoRoute HD). This makes it a bit more difficult to disconnect in the event I need to have the RL inspected or have the shop check for maintenance.

Here's the port splitter I am considering.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I noticed some people are buying this OBD II tool for their Accords.

I like the country road scenery as it reminds me of the place where I learned to drive. Hey I know people who live on that road. LOL

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

:act006:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
From 2008 and on, it should have a CAN bus if that makes a difference.
CAN bus does make a difference. The older ones won't read it. I had to upgrade a few years back to read a 2006 VW CAN bus car we have. (EQUUS Innova 3110)

Most of the cheaper ones will read / erase a couple hundred initial codes. Many of the codes are emission related and not show stoppers. I'm not aware you can dig further into a set code with the units you buy relatively cheaply. They are mainly for seeing what you have set....if serious, you can always bring it in. I've been using them since 2001. I think I only paid about $50 for a EQUUS OBDII reader/eraser back then.

·
Super Moderator
23,966 Posts
Thanks. I don't have one yet. But before I go to the expense of buying one, I'd like to know if it will work as I anticipate. I've read that only one device can be used at a time. If that's true, buying a splitter is a waste for what I want to do (leave my OBD device connected while keeping a free port for maintenance or inspection).

What I've read is that one device will take precedence over the other and/or the data will get scrambled.

I've relocated my OBDII port up in the dash so I can secure my device which sends out data to my GPS. (Garmin ecoRoute HD). This makes it a bit more difficult to disconnect in the event I need to have the RL inspected or have the shop check for maintenance.

Here's the port splitter I am considering.
I was due an inspection and had purchased this splitter for testing purposes, so I installed it this morning and took my RL to the dealer for an inspection.

I was happy to find out that I was able to leave my ecoRouteHD device connected while the tech did his thing for the inspection via the spare OBDII port the splitter provides.

So yes, the splitter does work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.