Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear seat head rests have been in the trunk since the day after I picked up my RL. Does the obstructed rear view mirror field of view bother anyone else enough to have removed the head rests? This was the only complaint I put on my Honda Survey.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I find the obstructed view annoying as well. I have not removed the headrests as my children sit back there all the time.

I did not think of this issue when Honda called me last weekend.

There was another thread that discussed this and options for larger / panoramic rear view mirror that improved the situation.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Compared to my CRV the view is much better. I took one head rest off to see if it made a big difference for me. It was a bit better, but I would have to ask the passengers in the back if the lack of a head rest bugs them.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The safety of my children surpasses any complaint I have with the rear window visibility. It's one of the main reasons I got out of the Ranger. The side mirrors are good enough for me after adding spot mirrors.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I also removed the headrests. They are now residing under the rear seat. It would be nice to have something to plug the holes that remain after their removal. I agree that rear visibility is greatly enhanced without 'em.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes I find the truck rear view challenged. I installed some small parabolic's on the outside rear view mirrors.
This helps but I used the smallest mirror available, I should have gotten the larger one .
I put them in the upper inboard corner as that area about the only thing you see in that area is sky.

Initialy it was like wearing bifocals for the first time but I got used to it, though you need to spend to much time looking at it do the small image size on the two inch model, I would recomend the larger three inch ones.

Steve

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine are also removed. When I removed them I noticed some bad top stitching on them and need to bring them to the dealer.

I agree that they should go down all the way like the middle headrest.

For the side mirror I wish that they were rectangular - the missing lower inboard corner is the perfect place for a stick-on mirror.

-W

L

·
0 Posts
As an old lady OTR trucker in days gone by...I only drive by the side mirrors. The only time I look in the rear view is to check to see that my lipstick isn't on my teeth!! Sorry..can't help you out with this one. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Took our headrests off, too. But I don't think this is anything you complain to Honda about--the design is what it is, and the problem is typical for pickups & large SUVs. Ok some pickups aren't as bad, but they aren't Ridgelines either! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep! Removed the headrests and placed them underneath the back seats - then I went out and bought the back-up sensors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed mine just a few days ago. In particular the passenger side headrest blocked my view whenever I was in a left lane and glanced back to see if right lane was clear.

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are things that can be done cheaply by Honda to fix this problem:

1) provide storage in the cab for the headrests
2) alter the design of the outboard headrests to match the center one.

3)The best option would be to design the headrests to match the middle headrest. Next make the headrest spring loaded. When no one is in the back seat you can push the headrest down and it stays. Have a small solenoid attached to the headrest locking mechanism and a switch on the seatbelt. When the seatbelt is buckled the headrest pops up so there is no chance of someone forgetting, getting into an accident and suing Honda.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whaleya, Great idea!!! You a designer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
View out the back not the best - cracked the right rear tail light and put a small crease in above it yesterday while backing out of bad parking situation. My own fault (naturally) but the visibility out the back definitely impacted my ability to execute the 9 point turns that were required after I got blocked in by a semi delivering produce to the restaurant where I was parked.

:(

·
Registered
419 Posts
Question please...does the rear center seat headrest come up from the seat back? It looks like it is a different part of the seat..just wondering??? :confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have no problems with the headrests in place. As you all know they are there for a reason along with seat belts.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Mr Manxter said:
I have no problems with the headrests in place. As you all know they are there for a reason along with seat belts.
Exactly. you know dang well you guys aren't going to put them back when an adult hops in for a quick ride. If you get rear ended, their head will go through the back window at the least, and at the most they may break their necks or be killed by a broken neck or concussion. Sometimes there's just too much innovating going on around here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts