Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have not had a difference in starting of the vehicle. However, I have noticed a "stumble" as I accellerate thru a right turn. It does not happen accellerating thru a left turn. Originally, I thought it was my imagination. I am trying to get the specifics and repeatability so I can take back to dealer. Anyone have this problem?? (This is at normal speeds)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My RTL took a while (a few seconds longer than usual) to start yesterday. I cranked it for the normal 2 seconds and it died.

What's going on?

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
rdhplano said:
I have not had a difference in starting of the vehicle. However, I have noticed a "stumble" as I accellerate thru a right turn.
When my vehicle is cold, if I take a left or right turn after a stop with light acceleration (1/8th throttle or so), the motor stumbles, bogs or sags, whichever term you prefer. It goes away after 5 minutes or so. Our Pilot does not do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The last few Honda's I've had have all done this including the Accord V6 I traded in on the Ridgeline. Usually it fires right off but once in a while I have to crank it a while longer. One thing that seems to help is I will turn the key on and then wait a few seconds before engaging the starter to allow the fuel system time to pressurize. I read about this same problem occuring to someone on the Pilot forum and the service advisor also told them to do this. As far as the problem of the engine stumbling around corners, I have not had this problem and don't know what that could be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had to crank a few times longer than usual also. Tonight while going to work the engine also stumble, I thought that it was my imagination but after reading this thread I guess that it did happened.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It's funny you mention the stumble on a right hand turn. I have a tight right hand turn I take every evening on the way home. To me, it feels more like the transmission searching for the right gear rather than a fuel supply issue.

Concerning the hard starting, I have not had the problem with my RL. Seems to fire up nicely every time. However, I agree with another post about the '04 Accord. My wife's Accord frequently starts a little hard (we've owned the car for a year and a half). I've never considered it a serious issue and have never had it checked out by the dealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed this very same problem. It started after my first tank of gas. I attibuted it to using 87 octane and plan to see if it goes away when I use 89 octane. I have not yet had it long enough for a second tank of gas.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My Ridgeline has done this to me several times. I turn the key to start it as usual, then shift into drive and we don't go anywhere. After the first few times I started to catch it before moving the shifter. It is a little bothersome and if it doesn't get better I'll be calling my dealer's service dept. about it. I've noticed that on the second try it does start up, but makes some knocking noises as it does.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
My last car, 98 civic, had a lot of hard starts when brand new. My mechanic replaced the battery and that helped. I thought it strange for a new car to have a weak battery. May be just the connections or something.

No problems with the new truck though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My RL has done the same thing. My ody did it every now and then also.....not complaining, I had a zillion maintenance free miles on my ody.

My guess would be the post regarding fuel pressure......maybe turn ignition to position 2 for extra second and I would say this might help.

I do notice the tranny has slight brain fart when first starting out and everything is cold. This was more noticible obviously during winter driving months and when you make tight corner as you lift of the gas pedal.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
gormleyflyer2002 said:
I do notice the tranny has slight brain fart when first starting out and everything is cold. This was more noticible obviously during winter driving months and when you make tight corner as you lift of the gas pedal.
My Ridgeline does exactly this. I once thought it was the FI system but now it seems to be related to the tranny. It's a quirk, nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What I noticed is that occasionally, while starting, if I release the key a second or so to quick, the motor does not start. When I try to start a second time, it takes about twice as long, and I get a little knock when the motor turns over. Happens when the motor is warm or cold. No other problems though, purrs like a kitten.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure on this but is it possible that its the VSA function kicking in on turns. I read the manual and it talked about how VSA adjusts the throttle and braking when turning or driving through curves.

I just got my Ridgeline this past friday and have noticed the delay in starting. I had a 2002 accord v6 coupe that I traded in and I cannot remember ever having a problem with it starting right after I turn the key

1 - 20 of 52 Posts