Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving my house this morning to come to work. When I turned left out of the driveway, there was a loud "thunk" noise from under teh hood. It did it again once more as I was going down the hill. I haven't heard anything since, I didn't notice any decrease in power or change in handling. Just concerned and wondered if anyone had noticed something like this?

I guess I'll need to get it into the dealer to have them check it out. although the "I heard a noise" thing is often difficult.

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Kellcut said:
I was leaving my house this morning to come to work. When I turned left out of the driveway, there was a loud "thunk" noise from under teh hood. It did it again once more as I was going down the hill. I haven't heard anything since, I didn't notice any decrease in power or change in handling. Just concerned and wondered if anyone had noticed something like this?

I guess I'll need to get it into the dealer to have them check it out. although the "I heard a noise" thing is often difficult.

Thanks!
You may want to look in the trunk. Your spare tire Screws may be loose. ( No Pun)

That means your spare tire is sliding back and forth

·
Registered
460 Posts
i too have noticed a slight thump directly related to the steering of the rl first thing after start up. can even feel it in the steering wheel. only seems to do it once after start up and first turn of the wheel. checked and confirmed that this morning......... left in park during startup, turned the wheel and "thump". wasn't the locks or ac for sure as truck was still and ac was not turned on. definately in the steering process, again, could even "feel" it in the wheel. i don't know what to think about it. :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Odd Noises during startup

For what it's worth ... :)
I hear several "thunks" during startup, but I would not call them loud.
1st is the A/C coupling engaging after engine start.
2nd is the rear cargo trunk locking as the RL is moving.
3rd is the cabin doors locking as the RL is moving.

A loud A/C engagement would not be considered normal.
I had to replace an A/C clutch in the past with this symptom.

I have found that the trunk always locks before the cabin doors.
This noise first startled me until I realized what it was.

Check in the trunk and under the hood for anything obviously loose.
Other then these suggestions a search for "noise" may help as recommended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not experianced any problems with my Ridge. Put noticed when I pull out of the driveway in the morning and travel about ten feet there is a cluck noise from the engine area. It only happens in the morning from cold start. I figure its the AC disengageing and switching to heat. No my spare tire screws are not loose.

I have had my Ridge for two weeks and love it. Steel blue EX-L moon roof ,towing package and side body moldings. Wanted a red but a three month wait. I'm on Vancouver Island BC Canada Ah.The Ridge is selling fast here. Six in my area that I've seen.Only one or two on the lots at any given time and most units are sold before they are delivered. I waited six weeks and was able to find one not sold and on the assembly line that day from a mainland dealer. Been watching this forum for months. Used all the ideas and check lists. Visited four differant dealers and lots of test drives. Did get mine for $1000.00 below list with the extras because I lease all our trucks from the same company with unlimited mileage. Put 2000 KM on it already been up and over a few mountains since my line of work takes us to some remote areas. This truck handles like no other on the small rough logging roads and paths we travel.

The trunk for me is the best feature. I am with our local Search and Rescue and on call 24 hrs a day so I can have all my gear with me in the trunk safe and dry out of site. I ordered it with the Tonneau cover and then canceled it since I need to be able to remove it quickly. I like the Retrax cover and will likely order that one soon.

Homer

·
Registered
460 Posts
Homersridge said:
I have not experianced any problems with my Ridge. Put noticed when I pull out of the driveway in the morning and travel about ten feet there is a cluck noise from the engine area. It only happens in the morning from cold start. I figure its the AC disengageing and switching to heat. No my spare tire screws are not loose.

I have had my Ridge for two weeks and love it. Steel blue EX-L moon roof ,towing package and side body moldings. Wanted a red but a three month wait. I'm on Vancouver Island BC Canada Ah.The Ridge is selling fast here. Six in my area that I've seen.Only one or two on the lots at any given time and most units are sold before they are delivered. I waited six weeks and was able to find one not sold and on the assembly line that day from a mainland dealer. Been watching this forum for months. Used all the ideas and check lists. Visited four differant dealers and lots of test drives. Did get mine for $1000.00 below list with the extras because I lease all our trucks from the same company with unlimited mileage. Put 2000 KM on it already been up and over a few mountains since my line of work takes us to some remote areas. This truck handles like no other on the small rough logging roads and paths we travel.

The trunk for me is the best feature. I am with our local Search and Rescue and on call 24 hrs a day so I can have all my gear with me in the trunk safe and dry out of site. I ordered it with the Tonneau cover and then canceled it since I need to be able to remove it quickly. I like the Retrax cover and will likely order that one soon.

Homer
that "clunk you hear" is involved with the brake system and is normal as was reported on earlier posts. you will hear it after cold start ups and being parked for long periods of time. forgot what its called but is legitament sound.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Kellcut said:

Thanks!
Checkout the thread in "Under the Hood..." page 2 "Skipping Spring driver side..."

·
Registered
460 Posts
ultra hog, do you feel the noise you mentioned hearing in the morning in the steering wheel. i seem to only here it then. with the rl still overnight wouldn't that rule out the spring issue that tex referred to?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hear a "thunk" every day about five to ten seconds after I start my engine. Since the noise consistently happens, I just figure something or the other in engaging (I'm not a wrench head, can you tell? :)) and haven't really worried about it. For a point of comparison, I had some stereo trauma in my 99 Accord and drove that forced me to drive in complete silence for about a year. Every time I started my Accord, I could hear certain clicks and whizzes as things engaged in that car. The fact that I live in a warm climate and this noise has *always* happened lends to my conviction that it's just part of the normal start-up procedure. I could be absolutely wrong here, but I don't think there's anything to worry about.

That said, if this is the first time you've heard the noise and it worries you, I would definitely have it checked out (for peace of mind more than anything).

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Sounds like the ABS check to me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
well, the abs check happens once i put in drive and at about 9mph, yep, it does its thing..........but this noise i hear when i first turn the wheel and only then. does if i sit still or if i go ahead and pull out of the drive. first turn of the wheel it gives a low, light thump.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Search the site - someone had to have a strut tower bushing or spacer replaced. Your issue sounds very similar.

L

·
0 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
Neighbor's cat getting knocked off the wheel? :D
hehehehe..I love cats but that was funny Grok. I had 4 cats til 2 years ago and I had to check the wheels all the time.
:eek:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am currious, did this occure as you were exiting your driveway. I have twice had a odd VSA induced clunk, both time I was exiting a driveway at an angle. This truck is so rigid (they could call it a Rigidline) it will lift a wheel if the angle loads opposing front and rear wheels. I assume this causes the VSA to sense a lose of traction and react.

This used to happen on a 1990 Ledgend when I came into a driveway to fast at an angle when braking, it would engage the antiskid and cause the brake pedal.

This clunk could be the price of sophistication.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
jeffiam said:
are you referring to the post obout the sticking spring?
I think so - it was somewhere in the strut area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts