Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After-market Heated Mirrors?

:confused: Anyone know of a way for me to get heated mirrors on my RT?

This is one of the things I had to give up in going with the base model. My dealer said they are not available as an option.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Re: After-market Heated Mirrors?

Despite what you were told, you might still want to check into seeing if you can add the OEM mirrors - it may depend on how much of the harness is in place. They are $129ea. Check College Hills Honda for details. The defogger is powered off the same circuit as the motor. You would need the switch and the cable (orange) that goes to the mirror.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Lingered_I said:
Despite what you were told, you might still want to check into seeing if you can add the OEM mirrors - it may depend on how much of the harness is in place. They are $129ea. Check College Hills Honda for details. The defogger is powered off the same circuit as the motor. You would need the switch and the cable (orange) that goes to the mirror.
Thanks, Lingered.... here is my query and the 2 responses I got:
I am wondering if the option for heated mirrors is available for my Ridgeline RT? I have been told that possibly the necessary wiring already exists, i.e. it works off of the power mirror circuit. Any help would be appreciated.
The only information that I can base that on is the wiring harness #’s. The number for the RT are different that either the RTL or RTS, so I have to guess that the wiring is not there.
Thanks for your inquiry, -Kel Kear, collegehillshonda

Guess I will try the dealer again with a bit more attention to detail!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

That's disappointing, but I think that I'd still be tempted to take a look at the connector that runs up to the mirror. For the drivers mirror, there will be blue/black, green/white and blue/white cables for the motor controls and an orange feed and black ground for the defogger. If the latter two are there, then you would be in good shape.
The door has a two piece harness. The first piece connects the door to the main vehicle harness and runs to the switchgear, mirror, speaker and door latch, and has a total of 12 connectors. The second harness has 3 connectors and connects to the first and runs up to the pop-up door latch and down to the courtesy light in the bottom of the door. Barring the two wires for the defogger, the rest of the harness is required for all vehicles so it would seem odd that Honda thought it prudent to save money on two wires.
Even those two cables are missing, I don't think it would be too difficult to resolve providing you can get the switch gear and mirrors. Ridgeline salvage parts are starting to show up on eBay now, so you may get lucky and find what you're looking for, including harness too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you again, Lingered! How do you come by such detailed information?

·
Registered
897 Posts

lest ye forget the parts fiche @ hondaautomotiveparts.com too ... pretty helpful for compare/contrast applications :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
So I was peeking @ hondautomotive parts,my service manual, and another thread on here and I was going to order this stuff up but wanted to post up here and see if anyone else has yet, or if anyone would do me a favor of sanity checking my components list below...I don't have an electrical manual and don't want to dump scratch for one just yet right before Christmas (and also because its on my Christmas list ;) ) but i deplore scraping mirrors, and like taking my truck apart so was planning on doing this in the next few weeks.

Anyways - bill of materials:

• 2047681 1 SWITCH ASSY., REMOTE CONTROL MIRROR TU WARM GRAY 21.04 15.78
  • 2048296 1 MIRROR SUB-ASSY., R. (HEATED) NO COLOR 18.86 14.14
  • 2050321 1 WIRE HARNESS SUB-ASSY., R. (HEATED) NO COLOR 5.1 3.83
  • 2048316 1 MIRROR SUB-ASSY., L. (HEATED) NO COLOR 18.86 14.14
  • 2050335 1 WIRE HARNESS SUB-ASSY., L. (HEATED) NO COLOR 5.1 3.83
$51.72 total...but I'm not 100% sure if I'll need any different connector backshells or internal harnesses - thinking not though...hopefully.

Either way - if I do this, this thread will be updated in the heading with progress and I'll post up pics and stuff. I'm pretty anal retentive, & used to write procedures for a living so I'm hoping to make this straightforward enough that anyone with hand tools is comfy popping some warm glass in their RTS.

Thanks
-ssg

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Re: OE Heated Mirrors on RTS (q&a stage)

It's great to see someone taking on this project that's willing to put up step-by-step procedure. I'd like to have heated mirrors as well, but not sure about the work involved.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

I chose the RTS because I wanted cloth seats and did not see too many options in stock RTL I was missing out on, but this was one of those options I could take advantage of. I will be watching your progress reports with interest. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

A thread I started a while back has some helpful responses; LadyRidge has kindly added it for us below (or above depending on your settings).

I haven't gone any further with this, but now that cold weather has set in, I would really like to see this one solved!

Good luck, ssg... looking forward to your postings!

·
Registered
897 Posts

BillB said:
I chose the RTS because I wanted cloth seats and did not see too many options in stock RTL I was missing out on, but this was one of those options I could take advantage of. I will be watching your progress reports with interest. Thanks for the help.
Bingo! :cool:
I was set to go on a RTLw/roof/navi/etc. but figured I could buy an RTS and add stuff to it rather then buy an RTL and play the 'now what' game with my leather seats. I hate leather - except maybe the armrests.

The downside is that I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend with some other stuff but I'll try to pop off the drivers door lining and see what's in there for harnesses so that I can get this underway and ordered on Monday at the latest. It's getting cold out in the Northeast and install timeframe for this and my remote starter are closing fast, thankfully the interior plastic is new and not Chevy so I can probably work it without destroying it - Honda's good like that.

Thanks for your support, hopefully this is doable without much hassle

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ssg said:
but I'll try to pop off the drivers door lining and see what's in there for harnesses so that I can get this underway and ordered on Monday at the latest. It's getting cold out in the Northeast and install timeframe for this and my remote starter are closing fast, thankfully the interior plastic is new and not Chevy so I can probably work it without destroying it - Honda's good like that.
Here is a link to member jch who posted a very detailed procedure for speaker upgrade. You should get some value out of the comments on door panel removal.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16048&postcount=1

·
Registered
897 Posts

Definitely, thanks...it is good to have a source 'that has' other then the factory service manual - much thanks for the linkage. :cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

ssg said:
Definitely, thanks...it is good to have a source 'that has' other then the factory service manual - much thanks for the linkage. :cool:
Glad to help you any way I can! ....totally selfish, though; I plan to take full advantage of you paving the way on this one! :D

...'linkage', I like that one! :p

·
Registered
897 Posts
OE Heated Mirrors on RTS (WCC stage)

lol paving? ...looks more like bushwhacking at this point unfortunately first...I have good news and bad:

Bad: Harnesses are different.
Good: Connectors aren't.
This means:stay tuned, I might have to do this in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot (I'm useless without coffee but can't let this linger much longer then necessary ;) ).

For Farmguy and anyone following this thread:

1 step I think any tinkerer should take if you're even remotely interested in doing this sort of thing is swing by your local AutoZone(or auto parts store brand X..) and pick up a trim tool.
My favorite is an old 'oem' one (the el-cheapo brand @ AZ/PepBoys/etc.) that cost about 7$.
Looks something like this, though I prefer the black oxide ones for function:

For the $ it costs, it will save you equal amounts in therapy from trying to get a panel off without destroying clips. It's also good for popping dash trim and sticky clips etc.

tune in tomorrow for another episode kids...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the good news :) , as for the bad news :( ...

I assume you mean the harness from the mirror thru the door and into the cabin to.... wherever it goes?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Welp from my initial investigation the door harness does not contain the necessary wires. However I didn't pull the door apart enough to actually check if it is the main door harness ($55) or sub harness ($22) that visits the mirrors.

I started digging around in the fuse box and thats ok, but it looked like the connector exiting that should have the wires in it did not. This might sound like the end but it isn't.

Next steps:
-research pins used for backshells @ various harnesses.
-locate pin remover for such pins.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the update, ...although I only have a vague idea what you are talking about.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts