Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
Am I missing something or does the WIX have significantly less filter material and not nearly as good as was posted in another thread earlier P?

There are a bunch of threads on oil filters on the ROC, but if your starting a thread of cutting them apart and comparing them great. Maybe other ROC'ers could send you some for fun. Seriously PM me if your on such a quest. Having 3 Honda's and doing my own maintenance I develop a pile of filters quickly.

Oil Filter Info general oil filter thread believe the MAHLE 707 is referenced in this as best and nearly as good as the "A01". Another is the S2000 filter by HAMP

Another filter liked and referenced is Purolator L14610 oil filter

This thread is on the S2K filter discussion, with the RL filter location size, length and diameter don't really matter larger oil filter

Finally a thread from one of our members who was offering "A01" http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/25-trading-post/127225-15400-plm-a01-filtech-filters-a01-only.html filters, about the time this thread started my local dealer was offering a buy 3 get 1 free, which I took advantage of and got 4 filters for less than $22. Shortly after a member in Canada, stated that he was only able to find the dreaded "A02" filter at his local dealer, at the time I believe it was suggested to go for a NAPA Gold when other options weren't available.

YMMV

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I missing something or does the WIX have significantly less filter material and not nearly as good as was posted in another thread earlier P?
No, you're not missing anything. The OEM I used is an A02, which seems to have quite a bit more filter material than the Wix 57356. I hadn't seen a photo of the two cut apart side by side, so figured since I had them I'd do that.

I appreciate the offer of sending me used oil filters, but I'll pass, thank you. ;) You are however welcome to cut them up yourself and post photos. :)

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
Does the A02 still feature the cardboard endcaps?

Which WIX filter did you cut apart?

· Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Re: OEM (A02) oil filter vs Wix 57356

No, you're not missing anything. The OEM I used is an A02, which seems to have quite a bit more filter material than the Wix 57356. I hadn't seen a photo of the two cut apart side by side, so figured since I had them I'd do that.

I appreciate the offer of sending me used oil filters, but I'll pass, thank you. ;) You are however welcome to cut them up yourself and post photos. :)
OK, didn't realized it was an A02, didn't see the cardboard endcaps, actually didn't see end caps.

I've considered cutting some apart but really don't know the best way to do it without buying a filter cutter. At one point I probably had 8-10 different Honda filters. I've never been that motivated (seem to have more than enough to do without making additional work). 4 cars (3 Honda's and a Buick) to maintain and 2 houses and full time plus oncall and occasional OT for work, along with a chronic illness that until this year has had my back against the wall for about 4-5 years. I've got more than enough work to do without finding new and interesting challenges.
:grin:

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
Yes on the cardboard end caps. Not a fan of them, but didn't see any actual problems with them.

You read the thread title, right? ;)
Heh! Skimmed right over that.

The OEM filter from Honda seems to vary... or it used to. I'll amend the thread title to clarify the OEM is the A02 filter.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: OEM (A02) oil filter vs Wix 57356

OK, didn't realized it was an A02, didn't see the cardboard endcaps, actually didn't see end caps.

I've considered cutting some apart but really don't know the best way to do it without buying a filter cutter.
Yeah, the A02 end caps, I tossed out after cutting them off. Nothing fancy, just a couple of fiber disks. I'm not sure cardboard is really the best description for it, maybe that's what it is, not sure. No integrity problems with them though.

I just used a bench vise to hold the filters, and a hacksaw to cut around the base. No filter cutter. If I were doing something like dyno testing where I wanted to frequently open them up for inspection, yeah I'd buy one. But for the occasional look-see, hacksaw works.

· Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.