Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one installed the OEM bed cover themselves? Any hints or pictures or help would be appreciated. I hope to be installing mine in the next few weeks. In particular the instructions show the removal of the 'rear roof trim' over the rear window. They discuss the use of a 'KTC trim tool'. I dont have this tool and I was looking for some guidance on a work around solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have not installed the OEM cover (opted for the ReTrax cover instead), but my understanding is that it takes a dealership 6-8 hours for the install. From what I have heard it involves the removal of most of the internal bed panels and the drilling of many holes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Took them about 7 hours to install mine but it was their first installation. I'm sure they've cut the time since then. I would suggest asking the service department for a look at their tool. If their like my local dealer, they wouldn't have a problem with a quick look. The mechanic might even have a suggestion on a work around while they're showing it to you. I tried to get a look at the installation instructions on H & A Accessories, but they've removed the Tonneau Cover? I wonder why?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed mine 2 weeks ago. It took about 5.5 hours, and was pretty easy as long as you follow the directions setp-by-step. I used a small flat screwdriver wrapped in masking tape and a thin cloth and removed the rear deflector easily (don't worry if the clips break, new ones are included in the kit). Taking the bed apart looks worse than it is, and you need to have the right step-bits to drill the holes. I would absolutely recommend saving the $1,000 dealer install price and do it yourself. I was able to buy it from a local Honda dealer for $899 + tax. You can download the .pdf from a number of dealer sites (it's too big to upload here).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it done in about 2.5 hours. It was a snap because JMT sent me his old bed panels pre-drilled and I did not mount the locking clips on the tailgate. I am waiting for the tailgate locking options to be developed. I was very impressed with the design fit and finish of the truck bed and cover. Every thing went together with out force or frustration. Thanks again to JMT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not installed the OEM cover (opted for the ReTrax cover instead), but my understanding is that it takes a dealership 6-8 hours for the install. From what I have heard it involves the removal of most of the internal bed panels and the drilling of many holes.
The Honda dealership in Sacramento informed me today that it's 4-hours labor and by the looks of the OEM instructions, I'm going to have it professionally installed.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
9 year bump? :act018:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I thought it was impressive. Great use of the search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts