Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find in the forum any details of installing heated mirrors. I plan on buying the Honda mirrors that have the heat feature in them for around $35 each. However, I would like to use the rear window defrost switch, but I am not sure if the wiring is large enough to handle the additional load. Honestly I would rather have heated mirrors vs a rear defrost. Also, I don't think I have ever seen a truck with rear defrost besides my truck, but may come in handy this winter. Has anyone installed the OEM heated mirrors? Can I use the existing wiring from the rear defrost switch or will I need some type of relay to separate the load?

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I'll assume you have an RT, Sport, FWD RTL, or FWD RTL-T since the other trims come with heated mirrors.

Unfortunately, there is no wiring or connectors for the heated mirrors on trims not originally equipped with heated side mirrors.

The heated side mirrors are powered by the power window switch units in each door which are signaled over a data bus by the climate control unit. The rear window defogger is powered by a relay that is controlled by the multiplex integrated control unit which is signaled over a data bus by the climate control unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all thanks for the response. So would replacing the climate control unit, the door wiring, and the mirrors work or would there be some wiring missing in between or the is ECU not aware of the option?

I still don't understand why this is not a standard option.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I guarantee that there's someone who feels that way about every single feature that distinguishes one trim level from another, on every vehicle sold anywhere in the world. :LOL: :)

Ya can't please all the people …..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Actually, I think that this is all about discrimination! Now, think about it, really, just because we may be less affluent, (poor?), should not the Government make sure that we get the same luxuries as the rich folk, it is our right, ain't it?

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well considering my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which was the base model had heated mirrors. I figured with all the "safety" features that Honda is pushing heated mirrors would be a given plus it would mean a single wire harness, climate control...etc one would think it would be cheaper to manufacture as well. The heated mirrors, rear door opening, and not being able to unlock all doors from touching the door are my biggest complaints. I ordered the new hinges for the rear doors.

I guess it is more reason to build a bigger garage so that I can park it in there then I don't have to worry about heated mirrors or trade it for an AWD. I would prefer the garage though. If I can't swap the door wiring harness, climate controls, and mirrors then I may swap the mirrors and tap into the rear window defrost for them. I just prefer factory items.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
There is, probably, a bean counter deep in the bowels of Honda America that has developed an algorithm that figured there was some arbitrary profit margin in offering any given option on any given model.

·
Registered
724 Posts
There is, probably, a bean counter deep in the bowels of Honda America that has developed an algorithm that figured there was some arbitrary profit margin in offering any given option on any given model.
Betting every vehicle manufacturer has a cadre of those specialized bean counters, constantly tweaking those algorithms.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
There is a bean counter at work here. Honda doesn't do one-off options. You want a feature that's not offered in this trim level, you move up to the trim level that has it. It is very unlike American car manufacturers way of selling cars. It no longer seems strange but, when I bought my first Honda new in 1978, it seemed like an oddity. I remember laughing about it when I bought my second Honda new in 1989. Nowadays, many carmakers work this way. It's much cheaper for them to offer a standard set of features and X number of trim levels than is to make everything retrofitable and custom-installed at the factory. As Henry Ford said, you can have any color you want as long as it's black.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
There is a bean counter at work here. Honda doesn't do one-off options. You want a feature that's not offered in this trim level, you move up to the trim level that has it. It is very unlike American car manufacturers way of selling cars. It no longer seems strange but, when I bought my first Honda new in 1978, it seemed like an oddity. I remember laughing about it when I bought my second Honda new in 1989. Nowadays, many carmakers work this way. It's much cheaper for them to offer a standard set of features and X number of trim levels than is to make everything retrofitable and custom-installed at the factory. As Henry Ford said, you can have any color you want as long as it's black.
GM (and possibly others) are moving closer towards this model as well - I noticed it while shopping for a Blazer and Equinox for my mom last year. There are nowhere near as many option packages and individual options as there used to be. Increasingly, features are packaged together by trim level.

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
Yup, I've noticed that too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts