Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On your 2017 Ridgeline... Did you install or have installed the Honda Sport grille with the carbon fiber element? Were you satisfied with the look? Any downside? Money well spent?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have it, it's not what the Honda website picture shows either. I was majorly pissed when I took the last piece out of the package and saw that it was bright chrome. The website showed it was black chrome like the black edition. That's the whole reason i purchased it. I hate the chrome trim around the doors, badges, rear bumper pieces, etc. it was a pain in the ass to install, and in the end it wasn't worth my time. Spray your existing grille with plasti dip and call it a day.

Reactions: rxitrxit

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey.. Thanks for sharing. I like the look as the vehicle needs an little truck look. I think you are achieving that without going over the top.
Hmmm I may price Kelvar paint or Line X paint... basically bed liner paint

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks great, I also hate all the chrome and I'm trying to come up with ways to get rid of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know want would complement your ride? A black carbon fiber hood to match the small carbon fiber element on the sport grille.
Assuming a carbon fiber grille doesn't allow noise migration and a less safe vehicle?

Mod - on!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you lightly sand the chrome and paint with good longivity on older projects? Or remove the chrome completely

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got rid of the chrome on the back including the strips on the bumper. I'm going to attempt to plastidip the grille this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

What did you use on the chrome strips. I would like to do the same around the doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW I was offered by two different "Kevlar" painting operations, one local (Line-X)and on in the mid west... To reduce there painting cost to get to be one of the first to "mod" a Gen 2 Ridgeline with their "bed liner paint" on any part of the Ridgeline ( and get that into their portfolio). It is still a pricy luxury .., and consideration for on a brand new $$$ truck. but...
I hate to see plastic trim on the truck which runs against a painted metal panel (look around your wheel wells).. In time debrie will get between that and salt, etc and degrade the metal... This is where I think the Keblar paint can be a nice alternative to black trim, flares, etc.. "In lieu of" plastic trim which will degrade by the UV sun rays.. Maybe it is my desert rat experience.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nice!
Since some of the high end trims's technology works through that front H emblem... Any special care there to assure no problems post spray painting?
Did you rough up the chrome before the paint?
How does this paint hold up the road chips and bug removal?

Looking good

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I did not rough up anything before applying Plastidip. I just cleaned and dried it. Check out some of the youtube videos for a visual how to.

I haven't had it on the truck long enough to know how it will hold up, but my son has had it on the rims of his car and it has held up very well there over time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey, Guido, you da man! That really looks good. Now, you just have to figure out how to get some nice, red stitching for your seats! :wink:

And, GTRdone, that big, black "H" against the white tailgate is a real grabber! It looks a lot better than I would have imagined.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks! I did not do anything to the chrome. I did this to our forester xt grille 2 years /30k miles ago and it just now probably needs a fresh coat or 2.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey, Guido, you da man! That really looks good. Now, you just have to figure out how to get some nice, red stitching for your seats!

And, GTRdone, that big, black "H" against the white tailgate is a real grabber! It looks a lot better than I would have imagined.
Red stitching? Like a civic SI or Integra type R?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi
Have you or can you power wash an area of the car that was painted with this product without damage?

Have you found this product sticks better (more durable) when applied over a painted surface or chrome?

Regarding "touch up" mentioned in the blog.... Would it be better to just roll off the old plasidip coating and start over? Or can you get a good finish refresh over an old?

I have watched a few, of the many you tube videos, but I have a lot more to view. The you tube spokesperson welcomes questions, so if you do not know I will contact him. thx

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi
Have you or can you power wash an area of the car that was painted with this product without damage?

Have you found this product sticks better (more durable) when applied over a painted surface or chrome?

Regarding "touch up" mentioned in the blog.... Would it be better to just roll off the old plasidip coating and start over? Or can you get a good finish refresh over an old?

I have watched a few, of the many you tube videos, but I have a lot more to view. The you tube spokesperson welcomes questions, so if you do not know I will contact him. thx
Our forester xt I mentioned has been through many washes, both hand and drive through, and a couple winters without any problems. However, I haven't taken a pressure washer directly to the grille. The plastidip seems to stick very well to everything I've used it on, including all the plastics on my honda crf230f, 2 vehicle grilles etc. I haven't tried yet, but I think I'll be able to spray over the existing plastidip for touch up purposes. The good thing is that if I'm wrong it'll all peel off anyway.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts