Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WhiteRTLnav said:
This is the exact reason why I have not bought a tonneau cover.
Actually, it demostrates the capabilities of the OEM Cover. I could have popped the cover in five minutes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That seeem to work just fine Tex. I've been thinking of rigging something up to carry skis, snowboards once my Basickoncepts cover arrives.....Fedex has been sitting on it for two weeks now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
TEX, my thoughts exactly. As you know I have the OEM also. Instead of the luggage rack I thought I could strap a soft cover carrier right on the cover. Strap it down to the convenient upper front corner tie downs and get better gas mileage since it was out of the slip stream. Anyway, with the first big snow in OHIO today I tested my thoughts about opening in the cold and snow. No problems, just flipped it and the snow plopped right up front. I loaded the new snow thrower in the access/open area with plenty of room to spare with the gate closed. I think the cover is so sturdy and I like the rough surface. I do not think you would want to do that on the Retrax unit. I love my OEM more everyday as I get to "real world" test it. I have not had a situation yet where I was unable to figure out how to do it. Great pics.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dboz said:
I have not had a situation yet where I was unable to figure out how to do it. Great pics.
Exactly. The other night, my son-in-law asked if we could drive to Sears warehouse to pick up a freezer he just bought. I asked if he knew the dimensions and he was't sure. I said, no problem. If we need to take the cover off and lay it down on the bed or strap it the side, I could do it over there by removing 4 10mm bolts and lift off. As it turned out, all I needed was to flip the rear flap over onto the front panel. The freezer fit perfectly and the gate closed ok.:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think a tonneau cover is a great idea. I would love to get one, but it's situations like this that make me not want one as I would have to either remove it before I pick up something large, or find somewhere to store it if I forget to take it off beforehand.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
WhiteRTLnav said:
Don't get me wrong, I think a tonneau cover is a great idea. I would love to get one, but it's situations like this that make me not want one as I would have to either remove it before I pick up something large, or find somewhere to store it if I forget to take it off beforehand.
That would be the case in very few cases if you got the Retrax. You just roll it out of the way and you only lose about nine inches of your truck bed.

I don't want to take away from the satisfaction of anyone with your OEM. It's a fine product if it meets your needs. In fact I think it's great that it's versitile enough to put things on top of it like this. I'm glad you took the pics to show what can be done with the OEM.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm the kind of guy that likes OEM stuff, and wants to stay with it. I personally had a bad situation with the OEM tonneau, so I am biased. When I took my 03 Accord in for warranty work, the General Manager gave me his Ridgeline overnight so that I could try it out further, and since he knows me. I decided to test the utility of the truck, so I took 6 rubbermaid totes full of stuff to the Goodwill. Well, his truck had the tonneau cover, and the totes would not fit under it. I had to fold the cover back, but I was still only able to fit 2 totes in the bed. The other 4 had to go in the back seat. So, needless to say I didnt think the OEM tonneau was well thought out. As for the Retrax, I am not impressed with it so far because of the noise at highway speeds, the fact it can scratch, and how it interferes with the opening of the truck. The Access is also not currently on my list as there are no support bars, and I am concerned that the weight of snow could cause it to sag and stretch. Call me picky. I love the way a tonneau looks, and the fact it saves on mileage, but unfortunately nothing has met all of my expectations. :( And so, the search continues. *SIGH*.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I still can't decide if I want a tonneau cover or not. If I get one, I will most likely get the OEM Honda cover.

Still can't decide. . .

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kdogofjtown said:
Just a quick question-- how much did that weigh?
That playscape was about a hundred pounds. Truthfully, I wish Honda would put a load rating on the cover. The sturdiness is decieving. It seems rigid enough to handle quiet a bit. It is supported the whole lenght by the rails that are bolted to the sides.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
How about this. Picked up a playscape for the grandson. Could not fit it under the cover, so tied it down on the cover.:)

Hey Tex, did you move your Ridgeline, Honda and 4WD emblems? Mine are located at the bottom of the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ninefive0 said:
Hey Tex, did you move your Ridgeline, Honda and 4WD emblems? Mine are located at the bottom of the tailgate.
YEH, got the gold emblem kit, and did some rearranging!!:D

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
YEH, got the gold emblem kit, and did some rearranging!!:D
We think the emblems look great Tex and have a blast putting the Little Tikes Mountain together! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just bought an OEM tonneau cover for my '08 Ridgeline. I have 2 problems, one because the seller had replaced this tonneau cover with a fiberglass shell, I didn't take the panel, at the front of the bed, that is just below the rear cab window. This is the panel that has the small vents. Will that be a problem if I don't use the vented panel? Also the seller could not find the keys for the cover, are these hard to replace?
Thanks,
Doug (aka dudley11)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I still can't decide if I want a tonneau cover or not. If I get one, I will most likely get the OEM Honda cover.

Still can't decide. . .
The nice thing about the soft trifold tonneau covers, is they remove in a minute without tools and you could even pop it in the back seat area.

I know, I know, thread jacking!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Note: OEM covers are easy to take off when additional space is needed, you can put the cover in the bed load up and go..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts