Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2020 RTL-E. Love the vehicle!
Was looking to either install an OEM tonneau cover myself or have the dealer install it.
They charge $1,156.00 for the cover and installation, which seems a bit expensive.
Installation looks straight forward based on the instructions.
Any tips, tricks or modifications needed?
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have kicked around the idea of a tonneau cover, but haven't convinced myself that I really have a need for one. When I do think about buying one, I always come back to the OEM cover because I believe it's the only one that allows the trunk lid to open fully since it has no rails. This isn't a deal breaker for most people, but I keep a lot of detail items in there, which includes 5 gallon bucket.

If you do get the OEM, make sure to look at the part number. I believe if it ends with an "F", it's the latest revision. I have read complaints about the earlier models leaving dents in the panel from the blocks that set against the panels when folded. I believe this latest revision addresses that issue.

I have downloaded the installation instructions, and I will be installing it myself if I do purchase one. You can get the cover online for around $800.00 to $900.00 dollars.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bernardi Honda has great prices on all accessories. I have spent many $$$ there. NO TAX! Tonneau Cover has shipping because of weight and size. Extremely easy install!

·
Registered
541 Posts
The OEM tonneau is an easy install. You do need to have the correct Torx tool for the bed mounts. I don't remember what size as I have several Torx kits that have all the sizes. (Thanks, daughter!)
After you have bolted in the mounts you just plop the tonneau on top and tighten it up. The mounts are replacements for the existing tie downs. You can put the tie downs back on under the mounts. They don't really get in each other's way. I place a little foam rubber in the bed's seams up front to stop water leaks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I recently obtained an OEM tonneau for my 2019 RL. The dealers around here (Cincinnati) were all sticking with the $1000ish list price, but I had an online price of about $700 (maybe slightly more; don't remember for sure) including shipping, and while at my dealer for an oil change asked the parts/accessories guy if they might be interested in matching the price to make the sale....and they did.

I was willing to buy from the online vendor for $2-300 less, but it will be nice to return to the dealer if something goes wrong. Worth a try to ask the dealer to compete if that's something you'd like to happen - worked for me.

I wanted a hard cover so I could get a tailgate lock (done) and occasionally leave garden tools or maybe luggage in there, reasonably secure. I picked the OEM because it was the only one I could find that didn't require side rails; didn't want to limit the side-to-side space, which could encroach on hauling furniture, etc.

So far (about a month) I like the cover. It's easy to open/close. It has leaked a little in a rainstorm and in the touchless car wash, but it's not much, and think I can minimize it by repositioning the cover a little and/or filling in those little channels in the top edge of the bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts