Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
I had the Honda OEM bed cover on my 2017 BE and then moved it to my 2019 RTLE. Had the recall performed. There was always some minor leaking around the edges of the cover, but basically no leaks in the middle part of the cover. The leaks around the edges were so minor that I would have no problem putting luggage or anything else in the back during rain. My new 2021 RTLE that came with the OEM bed cover from the factory, leaks all over the place NOT just on the edges. It leaks to the point that I would not feel comfortable putting anything in the back during a rain storm. I have it on the list of things for the dealer to check at my first servicing. They obviously changed something in the seams where it folds because the original cover never leaked in those areas.
Keep us posted after your appointment with the dealer.

I bought an OEM cover for my 2021 RTL-E. Interested in anything you may find out.

Thought I'd drop in this note since I trashed the OEM for leaking after the recall fix a few posts above. It struck me the other day to just check the seals under the cover. Apparently whoever re-mounted the cover at the dealer after the fix just threw it on. I took it off, cleaned the "leaf" seals under it and carefully replaced it on the bed. All the new leaks are gone. So I think I learned a lesson to always give good care when re-mounting it on the bed to keep the leaks down. Still not completely water tight, but totally good enough for me.

Minimizing Accessory Tonneau Cover Leaks

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2017ꟷ21 Ridgeline

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article revises the one posted in March 2017.

The accessory tonneau cover for the 2017ꟷ21 Ridgeline isn’t waterproof. Water can enter the pickup bed, resulting in wet cargo. We clearly state this in the user’s information manual.
If you get a vehicle in for a leaking tonneau cover, there are several things you can do for your customer that will help minimize leaks:

• Make sure none of the seals are damaged. If any seals are damaged, you’ll need to replace the tonneau cover.
• Make sure the cover is properly seated.
• Make sure the cover is securely fastened.

Customers can also help minimize leaks by following these guidelines, which are included in the user’s information manual:

• Don’t drive the vehicle without the cover securely fastened.
• Don’t place cargo on the cover or sit on it when it’s folded up.
• Be careful not to damage the rear brackets when loading and unloading cargo.

Attachments

I have been debating getting the OEM vs a more expensive Diamond Back, which I think is claimed to be water tight. ( I checked, it is. They claim "
DRY GEAR NO MATTER THE WEATHER.".
Interesting to see that Honda flat out says "The accessory tonneau cover for the 2017-21 Ridgeline isn’t waterproof. Water can enter the pickup bed, resulting in wet cargo. We clearly state this in the user’s information manual.".

What have others done to fill the large channels near the front of the box to keep water out? If I fill those openings, I think my cover will be quite tight.
Here you go!

I have been debating getting the OEM vs a more expensive Diamond Back, which I think is claimed to be water tight. ( I checked, it is. They claim "
DRY GEAR NO MATTER THE WEATHER.".
Interesting to see that Honda flat out says "The accessory tonneau cover for the 2017-21 Ridgeline isn’t waterproof. Water can enter the pickup bed, resulting in wet cargo. We clearly state this in the user’s information manual.".
Oh yeah..you get the manual AFTER you buy the tonneau.

I put small pieces of foam rubber in the crevices of the bed and lay the OEM tonneau over them. Not really had any big water problems through some very big storms.
I appreciate the ability to remove the tonneau in a few moments more than chasing watertight integrity.

It seems the OEM cover on my truck leaks as well. Had my hockey gear under the cover, but out of the bag to air out. Found my skates were soaked when getting dressed for a game the other night. Will have to do some more investigation to try and find the source.

It seems the OEM cover on my truck leaks as well.
Most aren’t water tight. They “leak”. My OEM one does. Rain finds its way into the gaps there at the seals by the back window on the rail tops.
But…the thing was never advertised or claimed to be water tight - in my experience anyways.
There’s way to minimize it. Search the forum. There’s a ton of posts with videos and tips. Like this very one in fact.
Or you can buy one that claims to be sealed, like diamond backs. After all, it’s only money, right!?

I have the O.E. Before installing I sealed the front corners with strip caulk, & spread a thin film of SHIN-ITSU silicone grease on all the rubber seals contact area. This wasn't meant to create an additional seal, but to allow the rubber seals to lay in the proper position by making them easier to slide into place with out them getting misaligned. There is very little water getting in. Like some have said, it isn't going to be water tight.

Thanks for the info. Dont know if the dealer did a proper installation, but one of these days I'll try and tighten it up.
Willing to bet they did not position the front seal correctly. I lay in the box with a light under the front of the cover. With the front fasteners loose, lift slightly and slide the cover toward the front, then let it down. You will see the front gasket uniformly compress the full width of the front of the box.

My 2020 Ridgeline tonneau is leaking, I know its common for it to leak up near the cab as did my 2017. My 2020 is leaking all the way down both sides and across the bed at the rear fold. At the rear fold it appears the water is making its way around the panel and not at the rubber gasket. Not sure if it did this prior to the recall fix
That's pretty bad, and why I avoided the OEM and went with a Bakflip 4. It leaks, but mostly when at the car wash and up towards the front.

I know of an assistant service manager at a local Honda dealer that went through 3 on his his RL before he had one that wouldn't leak. This was fall/winter of 2021.

That sounds worse than the typical small leaks. I think I'd take a shot at a warranty replacement/repair.
I contacted Honda directly after the local Honda dealer said, "It's not meant to be watertight." The Honda Regional Manager contacted me back and said the issue in not Honda's problem. The leak is not a problem with materials or workmanship and therefore not a warranty issue.
Odd how they worded it, but... my 2021 RL leaks on both seams and the front. The water is enough (after driving through rain for an hour) that it literally soaked through my soft side luggage into our clothes and was dripping out the back.
The best repairs I have read, but have yet to try is the use of Xcel tape across the exterior seams and butyl tape under and or within the folding seams.

My 03 and 04 Ford Lightnings didn't leak with the factory soft covers. My 2022 Ridgeline has a minor leak in one spot in the rear right corner, it's just a couple drops. It seems like it comes through the last seam. I could try opening and closing it maybe that would seal it up more.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.