Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Safety Recall: Honda accessory tonneau cover

30K views 131 replies 71 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 · (Edited)
I got notified today through email by my dealership that there was an open recall on my 2019 RTL-E. I've always kept up on that and taken care of the ones (4) that affected my vehicle promptly so it was news to me. The email stated the following:

Recall #F8M 2017-20 Ridgeline Tonneau Cvr Accsry

I searched online for recall "F8M" but can't find anything. The NHTSA site doesn't have anything either, but it wouldn't be tied to a VIN since it's an accessory.

Does anyone know what this recall is about and what the remedy entails? Odd that it's a recall and not a TSB which means it must be safety-related.

#5 ·
I received this same Recall Alert (F8M 2017-20) via email from Carfax (via Honda Marysville) regarding the tonneau cover on my 2020 RTL-E. I do not own the OEM tonneau cover, and have no further info.

Reactions: JJkroch and 177220
#9 ·
I searched online for recall "F8M" but can't find anything. The NHTSA site doesn't have anything either, but it wouldn't be tied to a VIN since it's an accessory.

Does anyone know what this recall is about and what the remedy entails? Odd that it's a recall and not a TSB which means it must be safety-related.
I searched online for quite a while and found nothing about Honda's recall. I did find this forum, so not a total loss. :)

I did find a recall for a GM tonneau cover, and the safety risk was that the tonneau cover could fly off and pose a road hazard to other vehicles. Probably something similar for our covers.

#14 ·
I received a CarFax notice as well...can't find any verified info on the OEM cover for my '19 RTL-E...I have the security (yellow) straps to prevent the cover from coming off and suspect that is what the recall is about. Cover is quite secure as long as fasteners are properly in place and tight...haven't had any issues with mine since self-installed over 2 years ago.

#28 ·
I just bought mine off of a local whose cover came on their 2017. I have the yellow safety straps as well. It is very tight fitting on my truck and I’ve had no issues with it. However I called the dealer and they said the recall just came out Friday 18 Sept 2020. A bracket needs to be replaced and he took my name down when the part comes in. Hope this helps!

#32 ·
I got the Carfax notice from my dealership as well. Did not purchase a cover from Honda either. My Lomax has metal clips on nylon straps to secure the cover when opened. Not sure why Honda chose to notify all RL owners for their OEM issue but it is a good reminder to make sure you have those safety straps connected and that they are in good working order

#33 ·
I had my 2017 at the dealership yesterday for another issue, they said they found a recall and marked it off knowing that I didn’t have the cover. Apparently that’s all you need to do, call the dealership and tell them you don’t have one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.