Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I just bought a very nice 2014 SE that came with the factory OEM Tonneau Cover that was dealer installed when it was bought new. I have seen posts where many OEM Tonneau cover owners discuss attachment techniques to ease removing their covers when necessary - even storing them in their rear seat area.

I recently tried removing mine and was having a fit with it. All attachment bolts were removed, but it was so bulky and heavy, I had to recruit the help of the wife. Even then, it took a lot of effort to get it out of the truck without damaging the truck or ourselves. Additionally, the presence of the steel L brackets on the underside look like a hazard.

I managed to get the cover on a scale and it came in at 74.5 lbs. Later, I noticed while googling the part number (08Z07-SJC-102) that the item weight is reported at 40.5 lbs. That is quite a discrepancy. I assume that is the cover weight, not the package (with all rails and hardware) weight.

I am hoping that a forum member with the OEM cover for the Gen1 Ridgeline can comment on their cover's removability and storability.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
673 Posts
It is heavy and bulky. Also when they get old the start to hold water that gets in cracks. I jut tired mine to the side of the truck when I needed to remove it to haul stuff. Change out your bolts for carriage pins and it will go on and off a lot faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much, haar. I have seen evidence of water intrusion as it oozes out around the edge seal when the cover is placed on edge. Also, lots of rust around bolts and peeling paint from metal fittings. I see no cracks where the water might be getting in, but it's definitely there

I have also seen posts where some use spring pins instead of the bolts. Mine was placed on the truck with no bolts - just the front lip engaged in the front track and the two rear latches engaged. Not sure what the repercussions of that are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks much, haar. I have seen evidence of water intrusion as it oozes out around the edge seal when the cover is placed on edge. Also, lots of rust around bolts and peeling paint from metal fittings. I see no cracks where the water might be getting in, but it's definitely there

I have also seen posts where some use spring pins instead of the bolts. Mine was placed on the truck with no bolts - just the front lip engaged in the front track and the two rear latches engaged. Not sure what the repercussions of that are.
I have a Bak Flip aftermarket cover that was getting extremely heavy to use and move around. Once I discovered it was full of water I took it off, laid it on its side and let it drain. After about two days I swear about two gallons of water drained out of it! Then I used black silicone caulk and sealed all of the edges. Now it’s so much lighter and easier to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.