Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me I cannot find the thread that implies that the OEM wiring harness does more than just provide wiring for either a 4 pin or 7 pin trailer attachment. The thread said something like the factory wiring activates the extra radiator fan and changes the transmission's shift points to enhance towing. Sounded kinda fishy to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I was waiting for the 4-pin harness that's currently backordered from Hidden Hitch but if it's true that the OEM harness does more than just provide lighting for the trailer, I'll pony up the extra dough and order it from College Hiils Honda or H and A. Please, someone that actually knows, help me figure this out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The factory hitch adds relays and fuses so the trailer power comes from it's own circuit instead of only tapping into the existing tailights. I CAN tell you that ANY other harness WILL void the factory warranty! I was skeptical too, but when you see how bright your trailer lights are with the factory hitch, you'll be glad ya' bought it! When you buy it from the dealer, just remember that the price is SUPPOSED to include installation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't really have much experience towing so with that in mind I'll ask this question.

On my vehicle I purchased the Tow package. I have a plug on the back near the hitch receiver. If I buy a boat can I expect it will have a standardized plug the will fit in that outlet?

The dealer didn't leave me a male piece to that fit into that plug so that I could wire to a trailer, boat, etc. Did they forget to give me a piece?

·
Registered
121 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
I CAN tell you that ANY other harness WILL void the factory warranty! .
I agree, he CAN tell you that but CAN he show you any written evidence that Honda wants to be the only manufacturer I've ever heard of who would void a custom's warranty for an after market trailer wiring harness. I thought not. Where do people come up with this stuff.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Todd said:
I have a plug on the back near the hitch receiver. If I buy a boat can I expect it will have a standardized plug the will fit in that outlet?

The dealer didn't leave me a male piece to that fit into that plug so that I could wire to a trailer, boat, etc. Did they forget to give me a piece?
Your trailer should have a standardized plug.

Most small American trailers use a standard "four flat" plug to connect to the towing vehicle. On the trailer, the tail, stop, and turn, signal connectors will be male and the ground will be the fourth female connector in the plug. Should fit right into the connector on your hitch. Some larger campers, trailers with European style lights, or trailers with electrical needs other than lights will use the round 7 pin attachement, but it is also "standard".

They didn't forget to give you anything!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just make sure the dealer that installed your hitch/harness did give you that sub-harness pigtail. This is used for those electric brake assist devices. If you didn't have one of those installed then you should have an extra connector with some pigtails hanging off it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks SteveBerger. I do have both types of connects near the hitch. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Empyrean tell me more about the brake assist cable. I didn't receive any other wiring from the dealer and I looked under the back hitch at the wiring and didn't see any lose pigtails. I didn't really see much in the way of wires at all.

I purchased the standard tow package that you can build into vehicle on the Honda web site. Maybe this part doesn't come with the standard version?

Let me know your thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts