Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has followed my quest for Vent Visors you'll know i had bad experiences with Two sets of AVS and a crash and burn with Westin.

Both were In Channel, both flimsy and all three sets cracked during install.

I decided to take the hit on the 200.00 set of OEM visors. Man, i am glad i did.

Best way to explain how thick and hearty they are....well, take the thickness of both the front of the AVS and combine it. These OEM's are MACHO Thick! They were not playing around. The second i held one in my hand i knew that my 200 bux was well spent.

The install takes much longer as you have metal brackets to put in the channel as well as negotiating with the tiny clip pins (that are easy to screw up if you are not careful) and finally the 3M sticky tape. The install took me about 1 hour and i took my time on purpose. I wanted it done right.

Once installed it gave the truck more wow factor, to my eyes.

Some have complained about wind noise. I am a part time recording engineer. Sounds and noises drive me bonkers in my auto. Sound is MY thang!

Did it add noise? Yes, it makes a tiny bit of new noise. Is it a problem? Not for me. The stereo has to be off and you have to be listening for it. In normal truck conversation it would be a non event. With the stereo on...its not even noticeable.
You will NOT get a whooshing noise. I had to struggle on the interstate at 70-80 to really see if i could hear it. Being an audio nerd i have trained my ear to focus on sounds. So...yeah, i could pin point it but its not even close to being a deal breaker for me. ALSO...my ANC is disabled too with the new stereo upgrade i did. So i do get a tad bit more road noise in my Ridgeline, again...a nonevent.

I am pleased as punch with the OEM visors. Are they MORE expensive? YEP! But they are also TWICE the plastic (roughly). They feel 'robust' when held. A stark difference from the limp feel of the offbrand in channels i tried out.

There is a saying in the Recording Engineering community "Buy cheap, buy twice". Lucky for me, Amazon has an amazing return policy for the 3 sets of In channels i tried.

These OEM Visors are here to stay on my RL.

Denicio

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got my Honda door visors in June 2016 along with other accessories from Bernardi Honda. At that time they were stick on--no brackets. I have had no problem with them at all.

I always had used Weather Tech visors, but I doubted they would make them for the Ridgeline. Bought a set of Weather Tech's recently for my wife's car. She did not like them at all--continued to have a noise when the windows were rolled up, so I took them off a couple of days ago.

Good review of your experiences.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the pictures. Sorry they are sideways. Crazy that in 2017 Apple Iphones and Forums cant play nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the chrome on the back door vent doesn't go all the way can you take another picture straight on showing the back door with vent. Thanks for your time

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the chrome on the back door vent doesn't go all the way can you take another picture straight on showing the back door with vent. Thanks for your time
Its does NOT go all the way back. Visually, not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had it been without the chrome, I would have gotten a set. I just have an aversion for anything chrome.
All it does is cover the chrome thats already on your window. So it keeps the current look, for the most part.

My main concerns were about fit and function and less about looks. Now that i have had these for about a week i know i made the right choice. The others were just so flimsy and cheap compared to the OEM's.

D

·
Registered
113 Posts
All it does is cover the chrome thats already on your window. So it keeps the current look, for the most part.

My main concerns were about fit and function and less about looks. Now that i have had these for about a week i know i made the right choice. The others were just so flimsy and cheap compared to the OEM's.

D
Agree that OEM is the only way to go on this, and looks great except on BE, which is what I have:frown:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good evening Denicio,

Just wonder if your Ridgeline the Modern Steel Metallic Color? Did you get any rust or paint protection, extended warranty when you purchased the truck? Hard decisions to make at an added cost! Can you give me your opinion as my Ridgeline will be coming within two weeks.

Thanks

spike55

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also tried the AVS/Lund. No joy. It actually screwed up the window programming on the one window. I picked up a set of WELLVisors. They look identical to the OEM and mount on the outside using 3M tape and brackets similar to the OEM. They work great and you can get them with or without chrome trim. They are more comparable in quality with the old Weathertech stuff. It should probably be a hint that Weathertech does not make them for the 2017 Honda RIdgeline. I am guessing that they could not get the in channel model to work to consistently. WIth the RTL-T, there is a lot of wind noise with the windows open to the point I didn't open them while driving. Now, I can open all four windows without the buffeting. My 2010 Ridgeline (with a lower trim model) had the opening rear window, something Honda should have as at least an option on the 2017 RTL-T.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also tried the AVS/Lund. No joy. It actually screwed up the window programming on the one window. I picked up a set of WELLVisors. They look identical to the OEM and mount on the outside using 3M tape and brackets similar to the OEM. They work great and you can get them with or without chrome trim. They are more comparable in quality with the old Weathertech stuff. It should probably be a hint that Weathertech does not make them for the 2017 Honda RIdgeline. I am guessing that they could not get the in channel model to work to consistently. WIth the RTL-T, there is a lot of wind noise with the windows open to the point I didn't open them while driving. Now, I can open all four windows without the buffeting. My 2010 Ridgeline (with a lower trim model) had the opening rear window, something Honda should have as at least an option on the 2017 RTL-T.
Did you get the chrome or black trim? How do they look? Pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts