Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if you can still do any off roading with 20" wheels and 45 low profile tires or is it out of the question

also how much stiffer is the ride on normal streets with the 20's, does the car hande better??

thank you for your help

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had 19's on a Cayenne S (WR rated, low profile), and here is my experience.

Don't go off road except for well maintained dirt roads. You will damage your wheels and run a risk of pinching a tire requiring total replacement.

Road noise is pronounced and grooved pavement will send you all over the road.

Be careful of railroad tracks and potholes. I hit a pothole that resulted in a bubble forming on the sidewall. Had to replace it.

Got 12,000 miles per set of tires and then had to fork over $1,500 each year for new ones (including alignment necessary to squeeze out the 12,000 miles).

The tires that came on your vehicle are probably good for 50-60k.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Allso, stiff sidewalls prevents any significant change in the tires footprint . Big hinderance for beach driving, the shorter side walls don't give much cushion. much greater chance to "pinch the tire"

On the ridgeline's off road package, the truck comes with 15" wheels, increased sidewall height as is needed for off-roading.

·
Banned
44 Posts
You should be fine. The only off-roading Honda meant for the RL was gravel roads. I would rather take the Pilot off-road; the ridgeline just isn’t designed to be an off-road vehicle. BUT I guess that depends on your definition on off-road. Me being a lifetime Jeep owner when I hear off-road I think of boulders and flooded out river beds. I guess if your idea of off-roading is jumping the curb on the local youth football field and flatting some grass, then it might be a capable off-road "truck". But Honda didn’t make the ridgeline for anything involving any landscape rougher then the parking lot speed bump.

·
Registered
953 Posts
lowrider90 said:
On the ridgeline's off road package, the truck comes with 15" wheels, increased sidewall height as is needed for off-roading.
What are you talking about? 15 inch wheels will not fit around the huge brake calipers on the Ridgeline. There is only about 3/8 of an inch between the caliper and the wheel with the stock 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
lowrider90 said:
Where did you get that misinformation?:rolleyes:

·
Banned
44 Posts
off-road package?!?! where did that come from?? Did some dealer stick a "off-road" sticker on the back of a RL with some diamond plate mud guards and called it a off-road package?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Went off-roading with 20's on my last SUV (Isuzu Axiom), ended up almost ripping off the front fenders. After I was done I literally had to bendthe lip of the fender back to normal, also chipped the paint along the underside lip of the fender, not to mention chewing up the tires. There were huge chunks taken out of the rubber.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I don't know about you weeeza, but it does not sound like a good idea to me either.

·
Registered
993 Posts
TOY_HAULER said:
But Honda didn’t make the ridgeline for anything involving any landscape rougher then the parking lot speed bump.
You seriously must be kidding. I'm not climbing boulders, but the Ridgeline will go anywhere it's ground clearance will permit. I know from experience the RL will take deep sandy BLM trails, and unpaved, rough, mountain roads wash board roads and deep muddy dirt roads. I suggest you get to know your Ridgeline better or at least watch Gary Flint put it through its paces in the RL video. The RL is more than capable.

·
Registered
668 Posts
swampler said:
How about a direct link. I've never seen/heard of an off road package or 15" wheels for the Ridgeline and can't find it on their site. :eek:
Sorry I should have been clear. A dealer was selling the off road package for around 800-900 if I remeber correctly. it does not come from the factory as such. but consists of 2" lift, 15" wheels, nore agressive tires, I don't remember what and bilstein shocks. Just enough stuff to get in and out of a few more places.

I'll go look for the package and get back, J

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
lowrider90 said:
Sorry I should have been clear. A dealer was selling the off road package for around 800-900 if I remeber correctly. it does not come from the factory as such. but consists of 2" lift, 15" wheels, nore agressive tires, I don't remember what and bilstein shocks. Just enough stuff to get in and out of a few more places.

Ahh, dealer installed option. Got'cha.

·
Registered
953 Posts
lowrider90 said:

Do they swap out the brakes as well, since 15 inch wheels will not fit over the stock brakes?

·
Registered
668 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Do they swap out the brakes as well, since 15 inch wheels will not fit over the stock brakes?
Funny you should ask, I read that the dics size on the ridgeline is as big as they make in the market today. (for this kind of truck) they did this to max breaking right from the start. That makes sense, if the discs won't fit in the wheel one would have to change that as well. Sre you pretty sure?

Anyway, I must be going crazy, I can't find the dealer that had this "off road package" anywhere. I only saw it once and did not save the link, happens everytime.

I must be wrong, I saw a pick of a truck with the 15s different tires. and shocks on it. Could it have been the one honda had in the show?

Obviously, it is not a package honda has put together, now I'm second guessing myself. I bet it is a package one dealer put togehter for sale.?

Anyone else seen a "off road" Package for sale?

·
Registered
953 Posts
lowrider90 said:
Funny you should ask, I read that the dics size on the ridgeline is as big as they make in the market today. (for this kind of truck) they did this to max breaking right from the start. That makes sense, if the discs won't fit in the wheel one would have to change that as well. Sre you pretty sure?

Anyway, I must be going crazy, I can't find the dealer that had this "off road package" anywhere. I only saw it once and did not save the link, happens everytime.

I must be wrong, I saw a pick of a truck with the 15s different tires. and shocks on it. Could it have been the one honda had in the show?

Obviously, it is not a package honda has put together, now I'm second guessing myself. I bet it is a package one dealer put togehter for sale.?

Anyone else seen a "off road" Package for sale?
16 inch wheels won't even fit over the brakes. I think that larger tires on the 17's will make them look smaller perhaps that was it.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Ridge said:
You seriously must be kidding. I'm not climbing boulders, but the Ridgeline will go anywhere it's ground clearance will permit. I know from experience the RL will take deep sandy BLM trails, and unpaved, rough, mountain roads wash board roads and deep muddy dirt roads. I suggest you get to know your Ridgeline better or at least watch Gary Flint put it through its paces in the RL video. The RL is more than capable.
Fine............gravel roads AND dirt roads. The Ridgeline is NOT an offroad vehicle, no matter how you look at it this "truck" was not made to run trails. Its a Pilot with a bed.

·
Registered
953 Posts
TOY_HAULER said:
Fine............gravel roads AND dirt roads. The Ridgeline is NOT an offroad vehicle, no matter how you look at it this "truck" was not made to run trails. Its a Pilot with a bed.
A Pilot with a bed... you might want to research the engineering and construction. But I guess you could apply this logic to most any vehicle since they all have a motor, four wheels, brakes etc etc. Its no less of an off road vehcile than most every other factory stock 4WD on the market, with the exception of course of a Hummer and a Jeep Rubicon which come with tires suitable to off road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts