Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have lot of issues/misunderstood behaviour with carplay with my iphone. When I was at iOS 10.1.x and now with iOS 10.2 I do still have issues.

Please don't post about bluetooth issues / Android auto

-once my iphone is plugged and carplay feature got enable, I can no longer use FM radio
-spotify app doesn't play music when I press play on the app on the car. when I press multiple time play, it seem to crash and I get back to the playlist as I see the icon of albums reloading
-anyone can confirm that the '17 ridgeline only support carplay using wire
-once plugged I can no longer use Waze app on the phone with audio (bluetooth) since the carplay disable the bluetooth

is anyone else experiment thoses issues or other related carplay issue ?

thanks

· Premium Member
24 Posts
I intend to tinker with this stuff again some time soon, but all I can say is the one time I tried it, I found it to be a frustrating mess. I came away very disappointed that things didn't "just work" in ways that seemed obvious. But like I say, I'll give it a second chance when I have some time to spend on it.

· Premium Member
356 Posts
I have a ton of issues with Pandora crashing.

You can have waze audio, it works fine for me while listening to music with the phone plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
3,076 Posts
I've used Apply car play in various rental cars and as a result I did not get it in my RL when I purchased one. It's a unfinished product in all versions IMO. No thanks, no way. Let me use my phone for phone things and let me use the radio in my car for car things. They just don't cross together well enough without nanny restrictions from the manufacturers. (all of them suck)

Steve who's rented over 20 weeks worth of cars this year alone.

· Premium Member
356 Posts
It's definitely not all there, but it's convenient. We're on vacation right now and the Ford Fusion has CarPlay which has been awesome and super easy to use.

As for the Ridgeline, whether or not you use it i wouldn't want to give up the 8" touchscreen, the other option is pathetic.

· Registered
5 Posts
Anytime you have an issue like you're describing, it's worthwhile to reboot your iPhone. I've had issues with the iPod functionality on a "non-Apple CarPlay" vehicle that I couldn't pin down. I rebooted my phone, and everything worked perfectly.

· Registered
16 Posts
On a three hour road trip, CarPlay started out great but for some reason it just stopped working. Said no device connected. Tried to unplug and reply. But nothing would work. Not sure if it's apple or Honda! Once I stopped at the railway crossing and restarted the engine it fired CarPlay back up again. Couple of things we had my wife's iphone in the car also linked to the Bluetooth system. And I was using the navi as we were going through the mountains and cell service was cutting in and out.

· Registered
461 Posts
Reading other Honda forums, sounds like for some reason it's very important to use an Apple lighting cable. After market cables have more issues.
Definitely use the original cables. What many people do not realize is Apple has protected it's sync/charging cable through electronic circuitry/handshake. Nobody knows what the handshake is however aftermarket vendors keep finding ways to make their copycat cable work but the workaround is always temporary. As soon as there is an update of software they no longer function properly. It is not just a physical connection we are dealing with, more like a rather complex circuit as can be seen here on this link. https://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/systems-analysis-apple-lightning-usb-cable

· Registered
17 Posts
I hadn't considered the cable.
I've had to disconnect from phone bc volume controls froze while on CarPlay.
Neither steering wheel, display buttons or phone volume controls would work.
Disconnected...reconnected everything fine.
I'll get an Apple brand cable and see what difference that makes.

I have also discovered it best to turn off the phone bluetooth while using cable
communication for CarPlay.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2nd gen 2017 Ridgeline. Does anybody know why my carplay, using iphone 6, is disconnecting after about 5 minutes? I get a message on my screen, "no device connected". Only way I can get it working again is to restart my Ridgeline. Any advice to why this is happening and how to fix it??

· Registered
466 Posts
Definitely use the original cables. What many people do not realize is Apple has protected it's sync/charging cable through electronic circuitry/handshake. Nobody knows what the handshake is however aftermarket vendors keep finding ways to make their copycat cable work but the workaround is always temporary. As soon as there is an update of software they no longer function properly. It is not just a physical connection we are dealing with, more like a rather complex circuit as can be seen here on this link. https://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/systems-analysis-apple-lightning-usb-cable
I'll chime in here about the Apple OEM cable.
The ford edge i just traded in for my Ridgeline was having all kinds of glitchy nonsense (apart from the terrible Sync radio). When i bit the bullet and moved from the cheap knock offs to an Apple OEM cable the glitching stopped.
There is some voodoo in the OEM cables but they guarantee a rock solid connection. I just wish Apple make a more robust cable thats thicker and better protected. I suppose this is how they keep us buying more cables at 20.00 a pop ... by making them so/so.

I have had my Ridgeline for 6 days now and rely on my Iphone for music and Podcasts. I dont connect audio via bluetooth but via cable and so far i could not be happier with the way Apple Car play (or what ever its called) works. Having come from a Mazda Infotainment nightmare to the Ford Sync...this Honda Infotainment system is paradise! (its clear by my reply that i trade cars too much!).

D

· Registered
7 Posts
I have wondered if my Belkin cord could be the problem. I am going to try an OEM apple cord today and see if I lose connection. If this works, I really hate having to have the white OEM apple cord in my black interior. Ugh!!

· Registered
466 Posts
I have wondered if my Belkin cord could be the problem. I am going to try an OEM apple cord today and see if I lose connection. If this works, I really hate having to have the white OEM apple cord in my black interior. Ugh!!
Make sure its official apple. Too many Amazon cables claim to be OEM when they are not.
I went to best buy and ponied up the insane amount they ask for OEM Apple products. It fixed the connection issues in the Ford Edge that i was having.
So far in my Ridgeline its worked flawlessly.

Being an Audio Engineer...when ever i have issues of any kind the first place i look is cabling. More than half the time its a cable to blame.

· Registered
1 Posts
Received this from Amazon today. Two cheap aftermarket cables were tried that I use for charging but were unreliable for Carplay. I've only had time to plug this in after coming home and it seemed to work in the garage. It's very compact and black in color so it looks very nice. I'll let you know how it works.

Attachments

· Registered
220 Posts
As Denicio stated: "There is some voodoo in the OEM cables"... Per various sources...

The OEM Apple lightning cable connector contains 4 separate microchips. Those integrated circuits are involved with battery monitoring, some memory functions, and security authentication and encryption functions, likely used to limit device access to the data on the phone. Because the lightning connector has fewer connections than the previous generation connector it has to manage and control which signals are used when, and down what wire for both data and power, and also dynamically assigns contact pins to allow for reversible use.

The technology has been reverse engineered in China and products may be compatible (-ish) with Lightning devices, with their low price managed via lessor shielding and cheap parts. The authentication chip(s) within the connector allow Apple to demand certification (and a fee) from vendors that want to use their proprietary design (at least those devices certified as 'MFi' - "Made for iPhone," or iPad and iPod). Belkin was the first Apple-authorized accessory maker to announce Lightning-compatible products.

Definitely look for the "MFi", certified "Made for iPhone" logo... but keep in mind just because they SAY they are 'made for iPhone'... doesn't mean they aren't counterfeit.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2nd gen 2017 Ridgeline. Does anybody know why my carplay, using iphone 6, is disconnecting after about 5 minutes? I get a message on my screen, "no device connected". Only way I can get it working again is to restart my Ridgeline. Any advice to why this is happening and how to fix it??
I was having this issue as well. I believe it is because there are other apps running in the background that are connecting to data sources on a schedule. Like email or a news app looking for headlines. I have closed all other apps and my audiobook app has been playing without interruption for 35 minutes.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
I have used this cable in my BE since the day after my purchase. I too have had the sudden disconnection issue and once I removed the Truck from the BT connections list I have not had the symptom again.

Insignia Apple MFi Certified 6" Lightning Charge-and-Sync Cable Black NS-A5SC96 - Best Buy

I never used my iPhone 6 or 7 with BT in the truck as I always use CarPlay. Thus removing the truck from the device list has not negatively impacted my use case and it prevents the truck and phone from arbitrarily joining by BT.

The short cable also forces me not to diddle with the phone while driving. Just plug it in and leave it in the tray.

Yes, this has forced me into using Apple Maps, I hate Siri but it keeps my eyes on the road.

· Registered
466 Posts
Let me chime in here. Amazon has a lot of stuff that will say OEM or "Official" and neither is the case. I wasted time and money on this over the years. After screaming, cussing, bitching and watching my blood pressure rise, i capitulated and got an Apple cable from the shelf at Best Buy. Since then ALL my connection worries stopped. Yeah, its white, its thin and expensive....but it works.

Anyone experiencing issues with MFI cables should use the one that came with the phone or buy a new one to see if that dont fix your issue in short order.

I DONT work for apple or a retailer so i am not trying to peddle OEM cables on here. Just helping others learn from my stressful and costly experiences.

D

Reactions: TomStoney
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.