Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
In the video, I was hoping to see a demonstration of someone actually using that little funnel to pour gas into the tank from one of those EPA-devised spring-loaded safety nozzles that all gas cans now have -- on a dark, windy, rainy night next to an interstate highway with semi's roaring past at 70 mph. Yee-haw!

·
Registered
387 Posts
In the video, I was hoping to see a demonstration of someone actually using that little funnel to pour gas into the tank from one of those EPA-devised spring-loaded safety nozzles that all gas cans now have -- on a dark, windy, rainy night next to an interstate highway with semi's roaring past at 70 mph. Yee-haw!

That's why I buy the replacement universal "water" spouts for my gas cans. Those new ones are useless.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's why I buy the replacement universal "water" spouts for my gas cans. Those new ones are useless.
Immediately jumped on Amazon after reading this...now feeling quite stupid for not looking for something like this before now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
I've had the replacement spouts for a few years. If used on a newer ventless jug, it's a good idea to drill a hole in the back of the jug to vent while pouring....makes for a much smoother pour. Cork the hole (or put a screw in it) when not using.

Other options are to purchase the racing gas cans, which are sweet, but expensive... or use the red metal Eagle safety cans with the yellow funnel (I have one and they work well). You can find them on Woot occasionally for $25 for 5-gallon an, and hardware stores sometimes offer that price on sale.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've had the replacement spouts for a few years. If used on a newer ventless jug, it's a good idea to drill a hole in the back of the jug to vent while pouring....makes for a much smoother pour. Cork the hole (or put a screw in it) when not using.

Other options are to purchase the racing gas cans, which are sweet, but expensive... or use the red metal Eagle safety cans with the yellow funnel (I have one and they work well). You can find them on Woot occasionally for $25 for 5-gallon an, and hardware stores sometimes offer that price on sale.

The ones I buy come with a vent plug along with the spout :)

·
Administrator
16,073 Posts
Since this is turning into a gas can discussion, I've bought a few of these over the years and LOVE them more than any other gas can I've ever owned.

NO-SPILL INC. | Lenexa, KS 66215

Closer to the topic, I LOVE the capless filler on the Ridgeline. I hope it holds up. Ford has been using them for several years now and they've had a few problems. I've never ran out of fuel in my life, so I'll probably never use the funnel, but it's good to know that's the only funnel that should be used.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Since this is turning into a gas can discussion, I've bought a few of these over the years and LOVE them more than any other gas can I've ever owned.

NO-SPILL INC. | Lenexa, KS 66215
I was going to post the same thing.

I've been using NoSpill gas cans for awhile now and love them. I own 4 or 5 of them in different sizes. So much better than the standard ones.
Although a bit pricey

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's a very well done product demo video. Especially intriguing is the assertion that: "You just put the spout wherever you want."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone checked there new Ridgeline for the funnel. The book says it is in the trunk next to the jack but I don't have it nor any slot that is should fit into.

·
Administrator
16,073 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Back on topic, the Honda video makes it look really easy to damage/dislodge the spring-loaded seal on the capless filler neck. Yet over a few years of ownership, you are going to be poking a hard metal gas nozzle down that thing at least a hundred times. I guess the key point is that the nozzle must be smooth, not corrugated. if you're using the flexible smooth extension tube like the one for the No-Spill gas cans, I don't see how that's any different than a gas station nozzle. As for Honda's special funnel, I also don't see how it's so special...other than perhaps the taper of the funnel being gentler on the spring-loaded seal in the filler neck??

This system would make me nervous -- it would be so easy for someone to unknowingly push that seal into the tank because they didn't know to use the Honda funnel when adding fuel from a can. I hope the fuel neck also has a well-publicized anti-siphon feature so you don't have to worry about a gas thief popping open the locked fuel door and damaging the seal while trying to steal fuel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts