Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone but me do any used oil analysis on their RL? I did my first one at 6,000 miles and the analysis from the lab indicated too high a level of copper (indicative of bearing/cooler core problem) and silicone (dirt/sealant material).
Took the info to the service manager at the dealership and the best he would do and only after I asked, was to make the analysis part of my record with them. I'd like to talk to the district service manager but can't get his contact info from the dealer.

If anyone else is doing analysis and had results either good or bad, I'd love to hear from you.

·
Administrator
18,548 Posts
Re: Oil Analysis

Type "oil analysis" in the Google Custom Search box near the top of this page. Your answer will be found there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Copper in Oil Sample

I had my oil changed at 6,000 miles and did a lube scan at an independent lab to "see" what's going on inside the engine. The results of the sample came back with an abnormal amount of copper, 310 and a high silicone content.
The silicone might be from the gasket material used during assembly of the engine but the copper concerns me.
Too much copper indicates either a camshaft bearing or cooling core potential problems.
Like I said, it's the oem oil which shouldn't have ANY copper in it. They stopped using copper as an additive back in the 1990s.
I am going to sample it at the next interval unless I can get a sample earlier and see if it repeats the results.
My dealer has NEVER had anyone besides me to do any lube oil analysis which doesn't surprise me. How else are you going to know what's happening inside the motor?

Anyone else doing oil analysis? Anyone else experience high copper?

This is the second time I've posted this so if it appears twice, my bad. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,157 Posts
Csimo posted an oil analysis not long ago. I bet a Google search will find it. I'm on my iPad right now or I'd search myself.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Why would anyone do an oil analysis at 6K miles, it is obvious that a new engine is going to release a bunch of metal and things not found on an engine with 30K miles and at least 3 oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
23,157 Posts
That's the one. Thanks for the link lg.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
You would not want to see a high copper count on a UOA. Given that it's the first oil change there's no telling what caused the high copper count.

Since you already have an anomalous you need to check it again after a normal oil change interval. I suspect the high copper count will be back to normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would anyone do an oil analysis at 6K miles, it is obvious that a new engine is going to release a bunch of metal and things not found on an engine with 30K miles and at least 3 oil changes.
Why wouldn't you want to begin to establish trends in wear metals early in the life of an engine. Your comment would indicate that you believe that unusual wear in an engine and a sign of potential trouble ONLY begins once an engine has more time on it.
My reason is simple. Establish trends, sample often and head off problems before you're sitting on the side of the road somewhere with steam rolling out from under the hood.
It doesn't cost much and can save money and trouble down the road. I've been sampling oil from my CRV for years and am happy to say there are no unusual results thus far.
I love my Ridgeline and with constant maintenance and oil analysis, I'm sure she'll give me years of trouble free service.
I'll sample the next oil change and see if the copper level comes back down.

Thanks everyone for the input especially the addition of the lube scan results.

·
Super Moderator
23,157 Posts
Wink, add a Fumoto valve and you can easily draw samples for analysis at any time.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Why wouldn't you want to begin to establish trends in wear metals early in the life of an engine. Your comment would indicate that you believe that unusual wear in an engine and a sign of potential trouble ONLY begins once an engine has more time on it.
My reason is simple. Establish trends, sample often and head off problems before you're sitting on the side of the road somewhere with steam rolling out from under the hood.
It doesn't cost much and can save money and trouble down the road. I've been sampling oil from my CRV for years and am happy to say there are no unusual results thus far.
I love my Ridgeline and with constant maintenance and oil analysis, I'm sure she'll give me years of trouble free service.
I'll sample the next oil change and see if the copper level comes back down.

Thanks everyone for the input especially the addition of the lube scan results.
I respect your opinions, at the same time I do not see much benefit for an early oil analysis since there is not really much you can do to change it other than pick a brand of oil that has some history of lower copper contents, I do not think Honda will do anything about it or help you in anyway at this stage and you MAY just be wasting some money, but that is just my opinion. :act035:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: Oil Analysis

I haven't done it yet on the truck, but I do it often on my race cars. Blackstone labs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts