Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other then the expense, is there a problem using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20 motor oil and the Mobile 1 oil filter? Will probably need my first oil change later this week and wonder what others feel about this...Thanks! :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Nicholas said:
Other then the expense, is there a problem using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20 motor oil and the Mobile 1 oil filter? Will probably need my first oil change later this week and wonder what others feel about this...Thanks! :confused:
A problem? No! That's probably the very best combo you can possibly use! Glad you realize that the quality of the filter is just as important as the oil. Both of your choices are the very best.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is everyone aware that Mobil IS the manufacturer of Honda's oils?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
Don't know who makes Honda oil... probably the lowest bidder, but even if it is Mobil it is NOT Mobil1. I know for certain that Mobil does not OEM out the Mobil1 forumula to anyone.

Mobil is the largest producer and wholesaler of Group IV synthetic basestock. One popular cult style synthetic oil buys all their basestock from Mobil... only difference is in the additives.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corvette, Porsche, Viper and a couple others use Mobil 1 synthethic as "factory" installed choice of oil...

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
BamaRidge said:
Just out of curiosity, why is a Mobil1 filter better then a Honda filter.
There's a HUGE difference between a Mobil1 and Honda oil filter. Like night and day. The Honda filter is junk.

There are at least three different "Honda" filters. The one that comes from the factory on your engine is made in Japan and is a pretty good filter. The filter you buy at the Honda dealer in the USA is made by Fram. Fram makes the worst oil filters in the world. The third Honda filter is in Canada and I can't remember who makes it, but it's not nearly as bad as the USA filter.

Now keep in mind that Honda, like all OEM's, switch manufacturers on a regular basis. Their filters may be made by someone else by now... they tend to like the lowest bidder on such items. The last Honda filter I saw at the dealer (maybe six months ago) was a Fram. The last Honda oil filter study I read had Honda as Fram filters.

The Mobil1 filters are made by Champion Labs (no not the same guys as the spark plug makers). Champion Labs makes GREAT oil filters. The Mobil1 filter is a Champion Labs filter that uses Mobil's specially designed synthetic filter material.

Read some of the oil filter studies. They pretty much all concur that Fram filters are junk and Champion Labs filters are great.

It is my humble opinion that the oil filter is just as important as the oil you use. I would rather use a good basic dino oil and a Champion Labs filter than the finest synthetic oil and a Fram filter. I believe I can back up my opinions with facts... not just a feeling.

Now there are exceptions to every rule... Fram makes ONE filter that's pretty good. I believe it's called the X2 Extended Guard series. The standard Extra Guard, and Tough Guard are junk, and the Double Guard is the worst of all. The Double Guard has PTFE resins in it... why anyone would put that in an engine is beyond me!

Comparing a USA Honda filter to a Mobil1 filter is like comparing a Yugo to a Porche. The Yugo might get you there, but that's all they have in common.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
Technically it's Exxon/Mobil since Exxon bought Mobil and it's Exxon's SuperFlow formula which is not synthetic. As CSIMO said Mobil1 is a top choice if not the best for both oil and filter. I'll be using both myself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses...Know what I'll be using on a $35,000.00 plus vehicle...Thanks again all!!! Nick ;)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
BamaRidge said:
Just out of curiosity, why is a Mobil1 filter better then a Honda filter.
What csimo said and more. There's more to filters than one might think. It's all about their ability to filter, efficiency and construction to last the duration. Crappy filters (Fram...) can have pleats that tear off the end caps, bypass systems that don't work, get stuck. You need a good and properly set bypass mechanism in the filter so it doesn't rip a hole in the filter media among other things. When you have a spike in oil pressure, like during initial startup, the filter will pass the oil directly thru without going thru the media momentarily. There's anti-drain back valves, not really a concern for the Ridge since the filter is mounted upside down. What type and how much of the filter media used is also of concern and more.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The Wal-Mart SuperTech filter is made by Champion, and at $2.07, is the best high quality filter available for the money. The number is ST7317. Be prepared to hit all of the Wal-Marts in your area, though, as this is no secret to Honda afficianados. It's not unusual to go to the SuperTech shelf and find the 7317 space empty.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
THIS IS GREAT! ROC ROCKS - AGAIN! While I have been aware of Mobil1 in the past, I really did not know enough about it to consider using it Vs conventional oil and filters. I never investigated oil filters so I assumed they were all pretty much the same and that a factory filter would be just fine.

I don't know how I could possibly thank all of the fine members of this site enough for what I have learned since joining. The vast amount of expertise and experience that is shared freely on this site is incredible. It is exciting and fun to learn so much that is new to me. I learn something every day from this site. Thank you all.
I do have a few questions. When I do my first oil change to Mobil1 with the Mobil1 filter (at ???? miles, opinions vary considerably), when should the next oil and filter change occur? Will the Honda Oil Life "computer" be accurate? Are there any warranty issues or precautions other than keeping records and receipts?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
shovelhd said:
The Wal-Mart SuperTech filter is made by Champion, and at $2.07, is the best high quality filter available for the money. The number is ST7317. Be prepared to hit all of the Wal-Marts in your area, though, as this is no secret to Honda afficianados. It's not unusual to go to the SuperTech shelf and find the 7317 space empty.
Shhhhh! We're supposed to keep that quiet.

Yes the el-cheapo (meaning inexpensive) Wal-Mart SuperTech oil filter is a Champion Labs product. You can buy 5 of them for the price of one Mobil1, but it's not really quite as good as the Mobil1 filter. Same housing, bypass, and anti-drainback, but different filter material.

I admit I use the SuperTech. It's a great filter.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
I do have a few questions. When I do my first oil change to Mobil1 with the Mobil1 filter (at ???? miles, opinions vary considerably), when should the next oil and filter change occur? Will the Honda Oil Life "computer" be accurate? Are there any warranty issues or precautions other than keeping records and receipts?
Stick with what the Oil Life indicator says while under warranty. After that, if you're using the EP formula of Mobil1 you could probably push it further to 10,000 or 15,000 miles depending on your driving habits/conditions. If you're really into it and want to know you can send in oil samples to a lab like BlackStone and see how far you can push it.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
The guys "in the know" insist that we run the "break-in" oil until the computer tells us to change. My personal policy is that if the computer tells me to change it before 5000 miles I will do it, but at 5000 miles it's coming out either way. I know I'll take some heat over that, but it's just not in me to run that oil, as special as it may be, in a new engine for over 5000 miles. Sorry.

Once you have Mobil1 (no reason to pay extra for the new extended drain version) and a good filter there's no reason not to follow the computer from there on out. I've had my oil analyzed toooo many time and know that Mobil1 will hold up 10,000 if needed. 7500 mile changes (the default of the computer) will work just fine.

Warranty issues? If you change your own oil keep your receipts and document the date and mileage.

Here's what I do... some will not like it, but it works for me. I live near a Wal-Mart with a Tire and Lube Express. If you use their default oil change, or even their synthetic oil change you never know exactly what you're going to get. I buy my Mobil1 in the 5 quart bottle and my SuperTech filter in advance. I bring them in with the vehicle when it's time for an oil change and just tell them to use my customer provided oil and filter. The charge is only $10 for the labor. They still check all the other stuff, vacuum, and wash my windows.

In addition the first time I bring in a new vehicle I pay for the lifetime rotation and balancing ($7.50 per tire). Then every time I have the oil changed I have them do a free rotate and balance. Works great.

I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart, but I do admire their oil changes and tire balance and rotation. I've watched them several times. The supervisor has to check the oil level, the torque on the oil drain plug, verify the oil cap is in place, re-torques the lug nuts, etc. This is in addition to the guy who did the work. At the dealer I've never seen them double check these items. At Wal-Mart they can't let the vehicle leave without the supervisor checking them. Above all that I get it all done for $10 above the cost of the oil and filter... can't beat that anywhere.

Guess it sounds like I'm cheap, but I found out a long time ago that the money is better off in my pocket than theirs.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
csimo said:
Once you have Mobil1 (no reason to pay extra for the new extended drain version)...
For me there is. While the verdict is still out on the new EP formula it does have more anti-wear additives and cleaning agents than the standard formula of Mobil1. This makes a difference for me as most of my driving is very short trips. I rarely get out on the freeway so I never get my oil up to temp to burn off any built up condensation. I'll take all the help I can get as my oil gets old quick. BTW I'm at 2500 miles now and my Oil indicator just flipped to 50% so looks like my schedule will be every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My indicator showes 10% oil life left this morning with 6,230 miles on the odometer...leaving this weekend on a 500 mile trip one way...going to change oil probably while on the road at a Honda dealership with my oil (Mobil 1 synthetic with a Mobil 1 oil filter) and also while in the process, pull a sample from the "break-in" oil and send it into Blackstone Lab for a TBN readout and analyis (have used their services before and was impressed). If interested...will post results? Most of my driving is usually at highway speeds (55 miles per hour or above). Will be interesting, I'm sure. ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Honda filters are made by Fram and are therefore inferior? Well, wad'ya know?

Oil and Filters, Car Wax, Tires and Gas always inspire such fierce debates in these auto forums over the years. Makes for interesting reading.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nicholas said:
My indicator showes 10% oil life left this morning with 6,230 miles on the odometer...leaving this weekend on a 500 mile trip one way...going to change oil probably while on the road at a Honda dealership with my oil (Mobil 1 synthetic with a Mobil 1 oil filter) and also while in the process, pull a sample from the "break-in" oil and send it into Blackstone Lab for a TBN readout and analyis (have used their services before and was impressed). If interested...will post results? Most of my driving is usually at highway speeds (55 miles per hour or above). Will be interesting, I'm sure. ;)
yes, please post the results, and most importantly the interpretations of the results. Looking forward to it.

by the way vertrkr, I'm at 3,300 miles and the monior says 60% left.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts