Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm approaching 5,000 miles on my 2021 sport. Apparently the oil won't need changed until my truck notified me. However I don't mind doing it at a 5,000 mile interval. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It depends on how long you intend on keeping your truck. Honda says it's OK to wait and follow their algorithm. Not sure what they aim for the longevity, but historically, it has been good

Also, a lot depends on how much highway vs stop-and-go driving you do. I stick with 5K but mostly because of the stop-and-go. I also tend to drive in the mountains a lot. I use full synthetic oil to make sure the engine is protected. The downside is the higher maintenance cost over long term. If you keep the truck 250k mile or more, it will be significantly more.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
What is the build date on your door jamb? Change the oil when oil life reaches 15%, or one year old, whichever comes first.

For me, I had planned to wait for the Maintenance Minder, but my truck reached one year old last fall, so I changed the oil then, but did NOT reset the MM. The MM finally reached 5% last weekend and I changed the oil for the second time, and reset the MM for the first time.

If you reset the MM before it reaches 15%, you will mess up future reminders for other maintenance.

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
891 Posts
Change it when it gets between 15-0% (or a tad later, if life gets in your way). No biggie.

Not sure why resetting it early (say you changed your oil at 50%) would affect the algorithms? It's based on several conditions. Sort case, you might be changing an oil or air filter a few hundred miles too early. Again, I don't see the issue with that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feed back everyone! I find it so trange not changing the oil at 5,000. I guess I'll just wait until the truck tells me too.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,302 Posts
I know this will be controversial, but I have to wonder why Honda says to change the oil annually. I've had my Ridgeline for 13 years now and 125k miles. I don't drive near as much as I used to. I've always tended to keep the maintenance up-to-date, including the annual oil change even if the miles/MM don't call for it yet due to low mileage.

But honestly, I don't see how the engine oil is any different from transmission fluid or other oil based product. As long as I get the engine up to normal operating temperatures for 10 minutes or so before I park it, I've begun ignoring the annual oil change in favor of just doing it when the MM calls for it. I think I'm putting around 4k/year on it right now.. so my normal OCI of 6000-7000 miles will have me well into the 2nd year before the MM will call for a change. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
Porsche 911 & 8 motorcycles
29 Posts
Go by the manual and what the truck says. If you're not up for an oil change - wait. The telemetry and oil measurements are quite good. Trust in tech, wait, and save time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got 2 years free maintenance on my truck from the dealer. Will they cover an oil change at 5k if MM isn't asking for it?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I've got 2 years free maintenance on my truck from the dealer. Will they cover an oil change at 5k if MM isn't asking for it?
Doubtful.

My MM displayed at <4K miles…..3 guesses, 1st 2 don’t count as to my driving style.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
473 Posts
If you reset the MM before it reaches 15%, you will mess up future reminders for other maintenance.
How does this work? I'm getting my oil changed this weekend (free 1st time) at 5,000 miles, should I tell them not to reset it?

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
286 Posts
How does this work? I'm getting my oil changed this weekend (free 1st time) at 5,000 miles, should I tell them not to reset it?
Correct. Don't reset until it's below 15%. I vote change it with filter.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Old habits die hard….I still keep a date, mileage, service performed, hand written log in the glove box.😉 When the MM turns on, I can easily tell if I did the service early (or not).👌

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is the build date on your door jamb? Change the oil when oil life reaches 15%, or one year old, whichever comes first.

For me, I had planned to wait for the Maintenance Minder, but my truck reached one year old last fall, so I changed the oil then, but did NOT reset the MM. The MM finally reached 5% last weekend and I changed the oil for the second time, and reset the MM for the first time.

I took advantage of 1 of my 10 free oil changes and had mine changed at 1,000 miles on new 2021 ridgeline. The dealer reset the "MM" so they must not be aware of the mess up you noted.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
I know this will be controversial, but I have to wonder why Honda says to change the oil annually. I've had my Ridgeline for 13 years now and 125k miles. I don't drive near as much as I used to. I've always tended to keep the maintenance up-to-date, including the annual oil change even if the miles/MM don't call for it yet due to low mileage.

But honestly, I don't see how the engine oil is any different from transmission fluid or other oil based product. As long as I get the engine up to normal operating temperatures for 10 minutes or so before I park it, I've begun ignoring the annual oil change in favor of just doing it when the MM calls for it. I think I'm putting around 4k/year on it right now.. so my normal OCI of 6000-7000 miles will have me well into the 2nd year before the MM will call for a change. 🤷‍♂️
Well, at least one thing is certain - it's not going to magically turn bad at the stroke of midnight on the 365th day just like milk doesn't instantly sour precisely at midnight on the expiration date. :)

Honda must think annual oil changes are important enough considering they've been adding that logic to the Maintenance Minders of redesigned models beginning with the 2018 Odyssey.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
149 Posts
Well, at least one thing is certain - it's not going to magically turn bad at the stroke of midnight on the 365th day just like milk doesn't sour at midnight on the expiration date. :)

Honda must think annual oil changes are important enough considering they've been adding that logic to the Maintenance Minders of redesigned models beginning with the 2018 Odyssey.
LOL, pretty sure I’ve had milk turn before the date though.

What year Ridgelines include the yearly reminder?

·
Registered
222 Posts
All current 2G Ridgelines have the reminder - in the manual. The maintenance minder isn’t programmed that way/updated with the integrated reminder yet. Honda still uses the older tech in the Ridgeline with many items, infotainment especially.

I’ve found over time a small resentful feeling towards Honda, knowing that what could be a wonderful platform is, until recently and still somewhat continues to be, back burner priority in favor of their main lineup. But the Santa Fe from Hyundai and the Maverick from Ford should soon change that priority list. I’m excited to see if the gen 3 will offer any better incentives.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL-T
144 Posts
"Trust the technology..." Right. From the same company that brought us water intrusion problems, unresolved after 4 production years. :unsure:;)

Reactions: ngershon
1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.