Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
891 Posts
Irregardless of MM engineers etc tell you to change oil up to two times a year. Absolutely once even if only drove few miles.
While you seem to be trying to toot your own "smart" horn here in this thread, you are far from the only engineer who has a lot of experience and knowledge. While the MM algorithm may not be all-encompassing, it certainly is much more intelligent than "change your oil every 3,000 miles" or "once a year". I happen to know people who have their oil tested regularly and get 15-20K per oil change under varying conditions, so the MM is very conservative by any account.

In my Gen 1, I changed between 7,500 and 12,000 for the most part, and never had an issue. Nor does the 2nd owner (wehave stayed in touch).

Also, irregardless is not a word.

Yes I am referring to my own education and work experience. I am, well out of respect I'll say should be, as qualified as any other that wrote those papers.
As am I. And so is @zroger73. Not sure what your point is?

Many said the best gas mileage with their (older?) Ridgeline was well below 20 mpg. Then I stated confirmed mpg i got was 30 with constant effort to get 30 or above and all I got was attacks. I got 2021 Ridgeline (at 3,000 mile mark and tired of it and its limitations) and on equal up down hill highway I get 30 mpg Min. Perhaps ppl are told not to expect more than 14...20... just like with the oil and MM.
Not sure who you are arguing with about gas mileage, but I regularly got over 25 mpg on my Gen 1, and easily hit 30-32 mpg on my Gen 2 on the highway. Typical in town for me is 16-18 on the Gen 2. Also, bear in mind that the computer typically shows 2 mpg higher than actual.

I know I must rub people the wrong way, however, there really is solid science to what I stated.
Two questions for you:

A) Is English your first language?
2) What is this "solid science" you claim to have to back up your claims?

Oxidation is NOT a limiting issue any longer in modern oils and engines.. Not sure what data “engineers” are telling you to follow but changing your oil too often is as blindly misguided as too infrequently. Guessing,hoping,reading isn’t science.
Correct. Oxidation is not nearly the issue with synthetic oils that is was with dino oils. 2 years vs. 1 year with low miles for oil changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm approaching 5,000 miles on my 2021 sport. Apparently the oil won't need changed until my truck notified me. However I don't mind doing it at a 5,000 mile interval. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
The truck notifies you between 5000 and 10000. You have mobil 1 synthetic in your truck so don't worry. Wait to see the wrench on your dash.

The suspense is killing me!! Please post your solid science. That’s all people are asking for. I promise I’m able to view an attachment or click on a link.
With regards to gas mileage, where do you live? Places at higher elevation get better gas mileage because the air is thinner and the truck computer will adjust the fuel for this to maintain the fuel to air ratio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2021 on order. Old habits die hard and I'll be doing the first change at 1000 miles. While the filters and oil system can handle waiting until the reminder turns on a new engine can have residue from the built and grind process. Those particles should get trapped in the filter fairly quickly and not recirculate, but my preference is to get them out as soon as I can. (I used to work for GM which included a stint in engine component fabrication plant 20 years ago)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oxidation is NOT a limiting issue any longer in modern oils and engines.. Not sure what data “engineers” are telling you to follow but changing your oil too often is as blindly misguided as too infrequently. Guessing,hoping,reading isn’t science.
Correct on the oil change the personal attacks and the mindset/ intelligence that represents is totally misguided and misleading. The limited point(s) I was making was the simplicity or the "MM" having education and work experience (in addition to what should be common knowledge) and should not wait too long etc to change oil..... also changing too often is no generally a good or great idea. Maybe bad. I think too often can harm gaskets. With all the cleaners.... so what is the fight about? Person issues?

While you seem to be trying to toot your own "smart" horn here in this thread, you are far from the only engineer who has a lot of experience and knowledge. While the MM algorithm may not be all-encompassing, it certainly is much more intelligent than "change your oil every 3,000 miles" or "once a year". I happen to know people who have their oil tested regularly and get 15-20K per oil change under varying conditions, so the MM is very conservative by any account.

In my Gen 1, I changed between 7,500 and 12,000 for the most part, and never had an issue. Nor does the 2nd owner (wehave stayed in touch).

Also, irregardless is not a word.

As am I. And so is @zroger73. Not sure what your point is?

Not sure who you are arguing with about gas mileage, but I regularly got over 25 mpg on my Gen 1, and easily hit 30-32 mpg on my Gen 2 on the highway. Typical in town for me is 16-18 on the Gen 2. Also, bear in mind that the computer typically shows 2 mpg higher than actual.

Two questions for you:

A) Is English your first language?
2) What is this "solid science" you claim to have to back up your claims?

Correct. Oxidation is not nearly the issue with synthetic oils that is was with dino oils. 2 years vs. 1 year with low miles for oil changes.
I likely send a jab or two, but all I said or point was "MM' is by design ..... very simple and not to be blindly followed like a god ... :) I do not know why it is so personal. I do not hang out here...I got a live, like you likely do too, may be it was ppl that bought a honda 20 years ago, if ridgeline was out then, but I wrote 30...32 mpg (which I ty think all vehicles can get and more got much more on Nissan) and ppl wrote back and attacked. Hey whatever... Thanks for taking you time to write, I hope you enjoyed it! :)

The suspense is killing me!! Please post your solid science. That’s all people are asking for. I promise I’m able to view an attachment or click on a link.
That is cute, but childish. As for the link... perhaps I did not look, but always busy so I likely did not have the time or interest. Today high schoolers or younger know how things like the MM logic works. That is very simple ( should be to everyone) that is the solid science or evidence I was referring to. Duh. As for me, ... pretty obvious (isnt it?) To give links to my connections ....... it is even silly to try to help you. But I hope it excited you in a positive way, dont go out and harm yourself.
I can be hard on ppl under my directions at work, because science is a strick case that has serious consequences if not followed. So, I likely came off too hard against the gross inconstantes. Like being attacked for saying 30 mpg, with reply no it is 14 mpg or 20... again I dont hang out here may be others do say 30...32.. also read ppl just add oil without knowing if the Dip Stick is still accurate or if ever was... my direction if in science setting, "you must take oil out and measure it to correlate with dip stick before just adding oil.. especially if new vehicle "

Etc etc. Sorry

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why 5k miles? The old school thing was 3k miles. Oil tech has come a long way. Changing earlier than necessary is just a waste.
I'm a big believer in early oil changes whether it be time or mileage. I feel it's the best way to prevent any early or long range issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I likely send a jab or two, but all I said or point was "MM' is by design ..... very simple and not to be blindly followed like a god ... :) I do not know why it is so personal. I do not hang out here...I got a live, like you likely do too, may be it was ppl that bought a honda 20 years ago, if ridgeline was out then, but I wrote 30...32 mpg (which I ty think all vehicles can get and more got much more on Nissan) and ppl wrote back and attacked. Hey whatever... Thanks for taking you time to write, I hope you enjoyed it! :)
Below I said all vehicles should get or be able to get 30 plus mpg. No sorry, suburban did not get 30 mpg and I doubt those large v8 trucks do either... I was mentally referring to cars... on same road ridgeline got 30 .... Nissan got up to 47 mpg and always around 40.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm approaching 5,000 miles on my 2021 sport. Apparently the oil won't need changed until my truck notified me. However I don't mind doing it at a 5,000 mile interval. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
You can get a oil change for $45. Cheap, looks good on the records for resale. And if you keep it, you benefit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don’t change until system tells you. When you reset the system before its time other minders are missed. Specifically, the truck requires gear box oil change. You will get a reminder when required. It misses that reminder if the sequence is messed with. FYI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told by a Honda Master Mechanic that the first oil change SHOULDN'T be done until the dash reminder tells you to do it. He said that Honda puts some special additives in the oil from the factory and the motor needs time to incorporate these into the components. After that, then 5000K is fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That is cute, but childish. As for the link... perhaps I did not look, but always busy so I likely did not have the time or interest. Today high schoolers or younger know how things like the MM logic works. That is very simple ( should be to everyone) that is the solid science or evidence I was referring to. Duh. As for me, ... pretty obvious (isnt it?) To give links to my connections ....... it is even silly to try to help you. But I hope it excited you in a positive way, dont go out and harm yourself.
I can be hard on ppl under my directions at work, because science is a strick case that has serious consequences if not followed. So, I likely came off too hard against the gross inconstantes. Like being attacked for saying 30 mpg, with reply no it is 14 mpg or 20... again I dont hang out here may be others do say 30...32.. also read ppl just add oil without knowing if the Dip Stick is still accurate or if ever was... my direction if in science setting, "you must take oil out and measure it to correlate with dip stick before just adding oil.. especially if new vehicle "

Etc etc. Sorry
Lol. I don’t know what you’re even talking about anymore. I’m not sure I understood from the beginning, however.

I simply requested fact based data from a scientist. Is that too much to ask for?

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
He said that Honda puts some special additives in the oil from the factory and the motor needs time to incorporate these into the components.
You were misinformed. Honda does state not to change the oil until prompted by the Maintenance Minder, but they don't use additives. The oil that goes into the engine is the same oil they sell by the quart. "Moly" will be found in the factory fill, but that comes from the assembly lube which protects the engine during assembly. After the engine is started for the first time and oil begins circulating, the assembly lube has no further function.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
I am on dirt roads.. I change at 20%
There's no need to change your oil any earlier if driving on dirt roads unless you're driving without an engine air filter. All of the air going into the engine passes through the engine air filter.

You do need to change your engine air filter every 15,000 miles instead of when prompted by the Maintenance Minder if driving on dirt roads.

Do you reset the Maintenance Minder at 20%?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Previously owned a Gen1 RL.. moved to a Honda Insight Hybrid... It would be Impossible to accurately calculate when the oil should be changed!! Yes I could change the oil every 5K, but how many miles did the engine not run and only on electric, I could be actually changing the oil every 3.5K then. The old RL required an oil change about every 7-8 K according to the MM.. the insight MM comes on around 11-12K. I have 80K on the Insight now and the transmission change hasn't even come up yet.. I guess its usually around 90 K..

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
I have 80K on the Insight now and the transmission change hasn't even come up yet.. I guess its usually around 90 K..
If your Insight is a 2019 or newer, that's because it doesn't have transmission with a torque converter or friction clutches or a belt to generate heat and wear. :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If your Insight is a 2019 or newer, that's because it doesn't have transmission with a torque converter or friction clutches or a belt to generate heat and wear. :)
Yes it's a 2019.... Freeway MPG I've been getting about 48 MPG I am over 50 if going slower and city driving...

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
891 Posts
Well, I have never said those words, because it is not hard for my RL to get 30-32 on the highway.

And no, the Ridgeline has only been around for 16 years. I don't know of too many here on RoC that blindly follow anything; that is why most of us are here, to share ideas, problems, fixes, etc. It's a community of some really intelligent people who like to collaborate. At least that's what I have seen in the coupla months I was here before you joined.

Also, my neighbor just bought a 2-pack (5 quarts) of 0-20W Kirlkand oil at Costco yesterday for $26. Great price for a good oil!

·
Registered
81 Posts
[moderator hat OFF]

@savvy701, you sound like you're all hat and no cattle.

Personally, I wouldn't be upset if you moved on and played in someone else's sandbox. :giggle:

[moderator hat ON]
Ha ha... there are a million things I could day and correct, inform, enlighten, but I cannot spare the time. BTW million things is metaphor.
I never heard Cattle hat phrase...hillbilly?
Okay, I understand nothing is accurate here...just common hear say...
I wrote sloppy as a time thing..and yes I wonder why I took any time. But if you think...I just abruptly Yelled out a few facts in a way that brought out others ignorance and the children.

Well, I have never said those words, because it is not hard for my RL to get 30-32 on the highway.

And no, the Ridgeline has only been around for 16 years. I don't know of too many here on RoC that blindly follow anything; that is why most of us are here, to share ideas, problems, fixes, etc. It's a community of some really intelligent people who like to collaborate. At least that's what I have seen in the coupla months I was here before you joined.

Also, my neighbor just bought a 2-pack (5 quarts) of 0-20W Kirlkand oil at Costco yesterday for $26. Great price for a good oil!
Good.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
I

Ha ha... there are a million things I could day and correct, inform, enlighten, but I cannot spare the time. BTW million things is metaphor.
I never heard Cattle hat phrase...hillbilly?
Okay, I understand nothing is accurate here...just common hear say...
I wrote sloppy as a time thing..and yes I wonder why I took any time. But if you think...I just abruptly Yelled out a few facts in a way that brought out others ignorance and the children.
We're the ones providing evidence in the form of research papers written by Honda engineers supported by the results of real-world oil analyses and owner reports.

You're the one attempting to counter this evidence with unsubstantiated claims.

Either provide evidence or move on.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.