Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first oil change yesterday at 5000 miles. The cost at our dealer was $38.60. May be I'am tight assed, but does'nt this appear expensive. How much are you guys paying around the country, or is this normal price :eek: .

·
Registered
205 Posts
rogerstruck said:
I got my first oil change yesterday at 5000 miles. The cost at our dealer was $38.60. May be I'am tight assed, but does'nt this appear expensive. How much are you guys paying around the country, or is this normal price :eek: .
My dealer was charging my wife $24.50 for the Accord. We'll see what they charge for her Ridgeline, however it'll be a while yet, as they do our first oil/filter change "free" (for every 25 to 35 thousand dollars spent there).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Paid $35. Waited for 30 min. for it. Much easier for me to pay someone to get it done rather than getting the oil and filter, getting under the truck, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
One of our frequent posters here, cismo, replied to a post not long ago on a similar topic. He said that, believe it or not, WalMart does an excellent job at oil changes with supervisors double checking everything and all sorts of extras. This is WalMart policy and not store by store.

I checked with my local WalMart and they said they would change my oil for around $10-12 as I asked what labor would be if I brought in my own oil and filter. I could (an intended) do it myself but for that kind of money (especially with the supervisor's oversight) I may just have them change oil for me. I only have 2300 miles on the vehicle now but when the time comes I will check them out.

The good Honda filters which are made by Filtech (not the Honeywell/Fram junk ones that so many dealers use for oil changes) can be purchased for around $7 or so. Good oil like Havoline or Motorcraft 5W20 can be found between $1.25-$2.00 a qt. So, even doing it this way, you will spend max $10 for the oil, $7 for filter and $12 for labor. That comes to $29.

So, $35 to $40 by a Honda dealer is not excessive - but any more than that would be. Plus, they use the oil formulated for Honda by ExxonMobile and it is top notch stuff. However, the beauty of using a third party just to do the labor is that you get to pick the best oil and filter YOU think is right for your Ridgeline and driving conditions and that may be something different than the SuperFlo like oil the dealer uses. You may even want to go with a special synthetic like Redline or Amsoil which, as far as I know, Honda dealers don't do (if anyone has requested a dealer do a synthetic oil change, I would like to know what brand it was).

I can buy the excellent Havoline 5W20 right now at AdvanceAuto on sale and after rebate for like $1.29 a qt. and I already have a half dozen Filtech filters so for ten or twelve bucks I can't see getting under there myself.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I do my own. $24.40 for oil and $2.07 for the filter.

My wife has hers changed at the dealer. $19.88 and this includes a wash and fluid top-off.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I did my own - filter (fram heavy duty $4.45 walmart ) 5 qts motorcraft synthetic blend ( $1.85 qt at walmart) - $15.00 with tax.
I do my own work. I installed all my extras except the fog lights which the dealer did before I bought the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I just got my 1st Ridgeline oil change yesterday. It was a freebe from the dealer. Same thing with my '05 Accord a couple of months ago. My Honda dealer gives all Honda customers their 1st service free. At the kind of profit these dealers are making they could give you lifetime service. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
shortspark said:
One of our frequent posters here, cismo, replied to a post not long ago on a similar topic. He said that, believe it or not, WalMart does an excellent job at oil changes with supervisors double checking everything and all sorts of extras. This is WalMart policy and not store by store.

I checked with my local WalMart and they said they would change my oil for around $10-12 as I asked what labor would be if I brought in my own oil and filter. I could (an intended) do it myself but for that kind of money (especially with the supervisor's oversight) I may just have them change oil for me. I only have 2300 miles on the vehicle now but when the time comes I will check them out.

The good Honda filters which are made by Filtech (not the Honeywell/Fram junk ones that so many dealers use for oil changes) can be purchased for around $7 or so. Good oil like Havoline or Motorcraft 5W20 can be found between $1.25-$2.00 a qt. So, even doing it this way, you will spend max $10 for the oil, $7 for filter and $12 for labor. That comes to $29.

So, $35 to $40 by a Honda dealer is not excessive - but any more than that would be. Plus, they use the oil formulated for Honda by ExxonMobile and it is top notch stuff. However, the beauty of using a third party just to do the labor is that you get to pick the best oil and filter YOU think is right for your Ridgeline and driving conditions and that may be something different than the SuperFlo like oil the dealer uses. You may even want to go with a special synthetic like Redline or Amsoil which, as far as I know, Honda dealers don't do (if anyone has requested a dealer do a synthetic oil change, I would like to know what brand it was).

I can buy the excellent Havoline 5W20 right now at AdvanceAuto on sale and after rebate for like $1.29 a qt. and I already have a half dozen Filtech filters so for ten or twelve bucks I can't see getting under there myself.
I had a bad experience at Walmart with my dakota before I traded it in. The oil change technician spilled oil on the engine and the "supervisor" didn't catch it. My RTL will not see the inside of a Walmart service center. I will change it myself or let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Too bad to hear of the bad experience. I've never taken my cars to WalMart but based on cismo's report, they usually do a good job (at least for him). If I had an experience like yours I would probably not return either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
go to walmart and jiffy lubes for oil changes.we service managers at honda dealers love replacing engine on their tab. :)

i did a power steering rack on a pilot last week.they put trans fluid in the power steering pump!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
dfl19 - since you are a service manager at a Honda dealership you will be a most welcome member here. You will get a ton of questions, I promise! But you know better to think that all WalMarts or quick lubes will ruin your car. There will always be mistakes made and dealership service is no exception.

I believe there was a post a while back here from a guy who had his Honda engine ruined, or almost so, by a negligent Honda service department. I think it was something having to do with oil but the point is everyone makes a mistake now and then.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On two occasions, I have had a "technician" (read, high school drop out) cross-thread a drain plug at jiffy lube places. On other occasions, I have had oil dripping on the floor of the garage as the result of a "tech" letting the oil run all over the running gear of my car and not cleaning it off.

It is absolutely no worth it to me to save a few bucks at one of these places. In the long run it has cost me dearly.

Dealership might make these mistakes, but it is unlikely that a real mechanic will cross tread a drain plug. The first lesson in mechanic training is "Never start a connector with a tool, rather always by hand."

·
Registered
146 Posts
cfl19 said:
go to walmart and jiffy lubes for oil changes.we service managers at honda dealers love replacing engine on their tab. :)

i did a power steering rack on a pilot last week.they put trans fluid in the power steering pump!
I don't yet know about the Ridge's requirements, however all my previous cars I have always used the same type of Tranny fluid (for that vehicle -- Type F or or otherwise) in the PS system. Right out of the manuals. What is so special about hydralic fluid in Hondas?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
"Honda Power Steering Fluid P/N 08206-9002. Always use Honda Power Steering Fluid. Using any other type of power steering fluid or automatic transmission fluid can cause increased wear and poor steering in cold weather."

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I don't think any oil change is better than another. It's not where you have it done, it's what they used to do it.

As many know I feel the oil filter is just as important, and maybe more important than the oil you use. There's one thing we know for sure... if you have your oil changed at Wal-Mart, Jiffy Lube, or a Honda dealer and let them use their standard oil filter you will receive a JUNK, JUNK, JUNK, Fram oil filter.

No matter where you get your oil changed you need to supply your own oil filter, or be able to specify a good filter.

I was amused at the comment about a Honda "mechanic" not cross threading the drain plug. Anyone that believes a trained mechanic will actually change your oil at a dealer is just kidding themselves. Dealers hire kids just like Jiffy Lube and the other places to do oil changes. The question is supervision. Some dealers may supervise their LOF employees and some may not. Since there's no national standard or review it's up to the individual dealer. Some may be great, but I've watched enough to know the grease bays are mostly ignored by management.

I am not a huge fan of Wal-Mart, or Jiffy Lube, or any of the other nationwide organized quick lube joints, but I have to admit they do have national standards and are subject to inspections. I do know they have double check policies. I don't know what the dealer's policy is, and regardless of their policy there's no higher authority doing inspections. In that respect the dealer is probably the worst place to get an oil change in my opinion. If statistics were available I'd be willing to bet that the Jiffy Lube's and Wal-Mart's style of quick lube service have a much lower mistake percentage than dealers. Can't say for sure since those stats don't exist.

I did check into the Jiffy Lube transmission and power steering fluids about a year ago due to a similar rumor as posted here. I found that both are approved for use in Honda vehicles. There are at least three aftermarket transmission fluids approved for use in Honda's.

Get your oil changed anywhere you choose. Just use a good quality oil and oil filter. If you want to pay $60 that's fine, but it's no better than a $19 oil change... and if you use the standard filter (the dealer Honda filter is a junk Fram) you have made a huge mistake.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Csimo,

I recently bought a few Honda oil filters from the Ridgeline section on the H and A site. Are these the good oil filters or the junky ones? If the latter, I'll throw them away (I haven't had to change my oil yet). Also, I see that your signature advertises oil filters. Can the ones you sell be used in the RL? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
methodtim said:
Csimo,

I recently bought a few Honda oil filters from the Ridgeline section on the H and A site. Are these the good oil filters or the junky ones? If the latter, I'll throw them away (I haven't had to change my oil yet). Also, I see that your signature advertises oil filters. Can the ones you sell be used in the RL? Thanks in advance.
I know H and A was trying to get some of the "good" filters, but I don't know if they got them or not. If you send me the part number you bought I can tell you if they're the good ones.

The Honda / Filtech filters I've been selling are the old good filters. They've been discontinued for a year or so. The current USA dealer Honda filters are made by Fram. The filter that Honda uses at the factory is not a Fram and is a good filter, but the ones they ship to USA Honda dealers is junk.

None of my opinion is based on the fact that I sell filters. I had a large quantity of the good filters and have sold most of them. I only have about two cases left and then I'll be finished selling filters. I did it more as a service to those who really care about the filter they used than anything else. I don't make enough on them to make it worth the time.

-Joe

1 - 20 of 33 Posts