Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basic oil change went well - (had <10% on Oil Reminder) and rotation of the tires. Nicely, Honda sent a 10% off coupon (only applied to tire rotation) just a week prior (are they looking over my shoulder, knowing when I'd need it?).

They had to order a part for the truck (the security light holder on the drivers side door over the lock).

I've been driving the truck for five days now. Last night, my older son (he's 7 and a genious - no bias here!) pointed out something NEW on my truck. That's right - the OIL CHANGE REMINDER STICKER in the upper left corner of the windshield.

Now, to me, that's kinda like dressing up your favorite pig in an evening gown. (or, insert your favorite saying here)

WHY would they do that? I had 7,000 miles on the RL when I took it in. Yes, they put a sticker on saying to have the oil changed at 10,000 miles. Or 3 months.

SO - which is it? Which am I to believe? My Trusted Companion, RIDGELN, or the dealership mechanics (out to make $15 on an oil change + whatever other "service" they can sell me at that time)?

Is it just me or is this ludacris (dang - where's the spell checker when you need it)?

I am assuming that my warranty is covered if I go by what RIDGELN tells me, not by the grease monkeys at the dealership want me to believe.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I wish I could get my oil changed for $15 at the dealer. My discounted price for buying the RL there is $23.95 (or maybe $21.95, $5 off the normal price).

They put a really weird interval on mine for the next oil change. It was something like 4400 or 4040 miles. I just took it off and trashed it. I'm going by the onboard computer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Considering my dealer that sold me the truck told me to bring it in between 3000 and 4000 miles regardless of what the computer says (which was 80% still) I think I'm going to following my beloved Ridgeline.

My first oil change was completely free, now waiting for the 2nd.

Take Care,

Jerry

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Dealerships are independently owned and many do NOT have the customers best interest in mind. They are not owned by Honda. There are many independent business lobbies that have prevented the industry from taking the warranty repairs away from the dealers (regional factory repair centers), politics as usual. Your best recourse is to research and be informed. In this case, follow the oil change interval as indicated by the oil change monitor in the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's interesting that the dealer had to order you a new security light holder. The one on my truck broke the first week I had it. I rested my elbow on it and it broke.

I havn't been back to the dealer to have it fixed but wonder how many others have had the same thing happen.

CJS

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the security light, do a search - lots of owners have had this problem. For me, I basically touched it to see how "secure" it was, and it fell in (after I had read about it on the boards - if I had left well enough alone, it would probably be ok still).

-ridgeln

1 - 6 of 6 Posts