Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the recommended Oil Change Interval. Is it every three monther or 3000 miles. I have seen the Oil Life Display, have we to rely on this and change the oil on the computors recommendation. My driving is maily city and some highway trips of 360 mile or more. I have always changed my oil every 3000 mile or 3 month intervals, which ver came first.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Check your owners manual.
3000 miles change is just Jiffy Lube's way of making money. on my Maxima, when running Mobil 1 synthetic, I got 10,000 miles. This is backed up by my own testing of the oil with Blackstone Labs. But for some people, they are not comfortable with this. So follow the owners manual and do what makes you feel better. For me, I'll probably follow the computer when I get the truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So can you shut the light off yourself? I will go Syntech with 10,00 mile intervals, but I don't really want to stare at a light for 6000 miles first.

·
Registered
307 Posts
rogerstruck said:
Does anyone know the recommended Oil Change Interval...
You are finding rogerstruck that there is (inexplicably) no answer to this basic question!

It's been discussed here before, and for every person here there is an opinion on the subject, but again for some bizarre reason Honda's official answer to this question remains a total mystery.

They have left it up to HAL (their onboard computer)! :eek:

·
Registered
993 Posts
It seems like I'm hearing more and more this 1st oil change should be at 3,750 miles. I understand there is a special break in oil in the RL. I'm not standing by any of this. Opinions?? I'm not that concerned about the inervals after the 1st change (probably just follow the computer), but I'd really like to get this 1st change done right.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
wait for your RL to hit 6K miles then do an oil change, depending your region, i live in the the desert where it gets hot and cold, dusty and windy with dry heat in the summer with a small wind chill factor in the winter. My rule of thumb is to wait for 1st 6k miles to break-in the engine with moderate driving. Then chage over to syntetic and change every 4k miles during Summer months and 6k winter months. I use Lubro Moly Volsyntesis 5w-30 or Mobile 0w-30 syntectics with a good oil filter (usually OE stock filter).

·
Registered
774 Posts
A word to the wise about oil levels in a brand new vehicle: I checked my oil for the first time yesterday (750 miles on the odometer) and found that my dipstick read just above the add level. I needed to add app. 1/4 quart to get it back to the top of the safe range. Just thought I'd give you all a heads-up.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I got confirmation, with out a doubt, there is indeed special break in oil installed from the factory you can not get else where. You want to run that for a very minium of 3000 miles. It was suggested very strongly just to follow the OCI (oil change interval) that dash displays. The break in oil has increased moly and other additives that you really want to run for awhile. Personally I'll wait until I hit 5% left then change with Mobile 1 EP 5-30 and the EP filter which is due out in stores by June.

Of course you'll want to check your dipstick often and keep it above the low mark. I like to keep it topped off at the high mark myself. I got a quart of the Honda 5w-20 to keep it up during this first period. Not the same chemistry as the break in oil but much more important to keep it falling below minimim than keeping the same chemistry, it's all compatible.

I've found with the J35 engine, same as in my '05 Ody, it eats oil for the first couple thousand miles and then stops. Seems to happen more with long freeway trips although that could just be a coincendence.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
denvrfan said:
A word to the wise about oil levels in a brand new vehicle: I checked my oil for the first time yesterday (750 miles on the odometer) and found that my dipstick read just above the add level. I needed to add app. 1/4 quart to get it back to the top of the safe range. Just thought I'd give you all a heads-up.
Thanks, will check A.S.A.P. Probably should have done so sooner but I've only got 2,100 miles

·
Registered
774 Posts
Whaleya said:
Thanks for the info on the break-in oil

For those of you that are new Honda owners and are new to finding 5W20 weight motor oil, here's a hint: The big box retailer with WM as initials usually carries Castrol 5w20 oil. I've used Castrol in my cars for years and swear by it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can vouch for the special break-in oil Honda puts in its cars (and now trucks). My Honda service writer has been a friend for over ten years now, he swears by the special formula that Honda puts in at the factory for break-in.

He's told me a number of times he wishes he could take the break-in oil out of a Honda with 7,500 miles on it and put it in his own car, it's that good.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info on "break in Oil", I guess I will wait for at least 5000 mile for my first oil change. I am just used to the old addy - 3 months or 3000 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So can you shut the light off yourself? I will go Syntech with 10,00 mile intervals, but I don't really want to stare at a light for 6000 miles first.
I wouldn't recommend shutting the MM light off as it is for many more service items than just oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts