Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've studied the manual, searched these forums, and cannot for the life of me find the recommended oil change intervals for this beast. All I have found is references to the % display, which I suppose I could use to extrapolate the data but...

Can anyone tell me: what does Honda recommend for regular-duty and harsh-duty oil change intervals? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The sales person told me 10,000 miles if you use synthetic oil. However that seems way too high. I talked with the service superviser and he advised that the oil life % will tell you when to change and it depends on your driving coditions. However he recommeded to change it 5,000 even if you still have plenty of oil life on the computer. However the manual says that you dont need to change it until the service light comes on at 15% oil life and its not good to change it when its not needed. So I'm also confused also on what to do. ANy thought form anyone else.

I love it RTL/Sunroof with running boards, fog lights, spash gaurds and bed extender.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find it strange the manual would say it's not good to change the oil too early. 10,000 miles is the interval for absolutely perfect conditions, which no one drives in. I read in the "Idiots Guide to Car Care" that 3,000-5,000 is a good range for oil change intervals. Oh, and it's also a good idea to leave the original oil in as long as possible because it's especially made for the break-in period. This is probably the oil they're talking about that you shouldn't change too early.

Oil and oil changing seems to be a much debated topic and I'm sure there are many others who will chime in on this. Don't be afraid to ask your service provider more questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes you are right about waiting as long as possible before changing the oil for the first time and thats what the manuel says. But do you think I should wait the first oil change until the computer say 15% oil life left even if its way past the 5,000 miles. (Right now I'm at 200 miles and it says 100% oil life left) Any comments they said its the same system computer system as the 2005 Oddysee. If any 2005 Oddysee owners out there plese advise how many miles you get before it says to change the oil. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The service provider says he recommends 3,000 to 5,000 even if the oil life says 50% oil life left. (Dont know if the service garage is just trying to make extra money with the service) I usually change it on my other cars at 4,000 miles but I dont want to change it if it doesn't do any good to change it. That just adds cost to ownership.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
This is probably one of the most debated subjects on car forums and one of my favorites. Indeed the manual says not to change out the oil early. Does Honda actually have special break-oil installed with more moly so you'd want to keep it in? I've yet to find any confirmation one way or the other on that.

Dealers do make most of their money off service visits so they'd much rather have you in sooner than later. The oil interval indicator system takes into account many varaibles like rmp, hot/cold starts and milage to come up with an interval when your oil should be changed. It's really good and probably the best way to know when it's time to change. It can't take into account extreme situations like driving on really dusty roads so if you do alot of that you'll want to change it sooner.

Modern cars have typical intervals from 7,500 to 15,000 miles. The '05 Ody under normal driving conditions will work out to about 7,500 miles between changes. My ML 430 would do it at 15,000.

Like my '05 Ody I'll change the factory oil when it say 5% and then I'll put in Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and their new EP filter too when it comes out in June. Why not 5W-20 like the manual recommends? well that's a whole other discussion. Basically convinced Honda and a few other manufactures switched from 5-30 to a 5-20 recommendation to qualify for government CAFE ratings to save money.

Don't take my word for it though, do you're own research and draw your own conclusions. A good place to start is this forum on bobistheoilguy. Serious gearheads over there with a variety of opinions. Try using their search tool in the "Car and Truck Gas Engine Oil" thread and search on HONDA or CAFE to save time and learn more.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vertrkr said:
This is probably one of the most debated subjects on car forums and one of my favorites. Indeed the manual says not to change out the oil early. Does Honda actually have special break-oil installed with more moly so you'd want to keep it in? I've yet to find any confirmation one way or the other on that...
Well I guess the definitive answer from Honda remains elusive! Only the on-board computer knows! Hello HAL do you read me? :D

I don't have the manual in front of me, but it seemed to say this Vertrkr in no uncertain terms (that there was special break-in oil installed so don't change it til the computer sez so).

But long term I think it's VERY ODD that Honda would leave this question to the onboard computer. You'd think at least there would be a "normal driving" vs. "harsh environment" setting. I live in the extreme country w/lots of dirt roads...

I guess I should add that we have a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee which counts-down "miles to service" (vs. Honda's "% life") and its on-board computer lets you tell it what "miles to service" to count. I think ours is set at 2500.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love the Honda maintenance minder because it takes all of your driving conditions, total miles, etc into account. You don't have to worry about it, just change it when it says to.

If you look at the manual it says it has different code numbers that coincide with various other items such as tire rotation, etc.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Hello people, new mbr here. doing some research prior to purchase RL. Since i don't have an RL yet, i will use my experience to what i have. I own a 99' VW passat GLS 1.8t chipped w/ stage 3 turbo. well i used Lubro moly voll-syntesis 5w-40 to change my oil, in winter months i usually change my oil @ 5k miles and summer months i change the oil @ 3.5k miles. I live in SoCal in the desert so it really gets dusty and really hot in the summer so the engine works harder. If the specs are right for the RL after the break in period, oil change interval should be the same depending the eviroment you live in and how much you push your RL or vehicle.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The more general question here is, why didn't Honda include a maintenance schedule/matrix/grid with the vehicle? I understand that the computer is more accurate, but I'd like to know when to expect service items to be due, since I plan on doing my own service. For example, the differential lube on the Pilot needs changing every 15K miles. Is this the same on the Ridgeline?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was able to spend alot of time talking to the master tech at my Honda dealship while diagnosising a wind noise problem,we talk about this very subgect. He recomended waiting the full 7500 miles before the 1st oil change because Honda has infomed them of a speacial oil that is put in the cars and now trucks at the factory . He has looked at this oil and has not seen or felt any differance. But Honda claims it specally desgined to remove metal particals that occour at break in. In the old days this was the very reason we would change the "break in oil" at 500 miles.This is confusing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
conchflats said:
...the master tech...recomended waiting the full 7500 miles...
Seventy-five hundred miles between oil changes! Good grief!

While I will not dispute leaving the "special oil" in for that period, I can't imagine waiting that long under "normal circumstances" especially since "normal circumstances" for me are extremely dusty & dirty.

Still amazes me that no one seems to be able to find any documentation on this mileage interval. It's all a secret, in the computer!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My dealer said 5,000 miles for the first oil change when I picked up my RTL on Saturday. Since they're paying for it (a buyer's service they provide) I'll take their word for it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
So far I've got 600 miles, and the oil monitor says 90% life left. I'm hoping it will wind up saying change it at about 5 or 7000 miles. I don't understand why one service guy is saying 5,000 and the other is saying 7,500?????

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ridge said:
So far I've got 600 miles, and the oil monitor says 90% life left. I'm hoping it will wind up saying change it at about 5 or 7000 miles. I don't understand why one service guy is saying 5,000 and the other is saying 7,500?????
Easily explained, sales people don't know their cars that well. They typically go with party line of the dealership and that's usually geared towards making the dealership money. They'd much rather have you in sooner which equates to more visits over time and more money. Stick with what the oil indicator says. Honda engineered their engines very carefully, they are certainly not going to have a system that lets the engine run oil that's past its life. Most new cars these days have OCIs (oil change interval) between 7,500 and 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
536 Posts
How does the oil change indicator work?

Is it smart? (oil temp, engine load, total revolutions, etc) or does it just look at milage?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 7500 mile interval I posted earlier was based upon a recomendation given to me by the dealer when I pick up the Ridgeline . And that recomendation was based on the other Honda products ,(Pilot,element )

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello all, I just bought my RTL S/R last week and had a few comments on this thread. I've been a member of the BMWM5 list for a couple of years (mine was a 2000 model). This exact topic (and the related what oil should I use) was really beaten to death. BMW uses multiple green, yellow and then red leds to tell you when to change your oil and other service related items. The same controversy "I'll never let my engine go that long on an interval". These ran from 8-15k miles depending on driving habits, etc. This is a $25k engine that the BMW wasn't recommending a 3k change interval. Big difference in original manufacture's oil (10-50 synthentic) but the point is that car makers know what is best and I just followed thier recommendation.

Honda's made it's reputation on reliability and I really doubt they'd use the 100%-0% on board computer just as a gimick. I'm willing to bet it works as advertised and is actually state of the art engine maintance management. I bet the new Acura RL has one.

For those gearheads without a life (like myself) the site is M5boards.com, just do a search and believe me you'll have about about 6 pages of pro and con discussion.

Cal

·
Registered
321 Posts
My sales person said the first oil change is at 3750. :confused:
I think I'll just trust the computer if it seems reasonable.

Doug

1 - 20 of 87 Posts