Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else getting ridiculous increases in oil change prices from their dealership stealership?

Mine used to charge 35-40 bucks for a standard oil change. My wife took her CR-V in for one the other week and they charged her a whopping 70 bucks for the service. I called and they made some pretty contradictory claims:

1. Oil prices have gone up significantly.
2. They use synthetic on all oil now.
3. Despite saying #2, they also said that all their oil costs the same, synthetic or not

My '19 BE is coming up for an oil change soon (and likely rear diff too since it's at 16.5k+) and I'm debating telling them to get lost and taking it to a shop I trust that I usually use post-warranty.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
627 Posts
You can have your oil changed wherever you want as long as the oil and filter meet Honda specifications.

In comparing the oil change for 35-40 vs 70, what are the differences in product and service included? Do they have the lower cost option available if that will make you comfortable.

There is a difference in cost between full synthetic, synthetic blend, and non-synthetic dinosaur oil. Full synthetic is highly recommended and the dealer may now be promoting using that product.

With the longer interval oil changes and Honda's approval for filter change every other oil change, is the $70 that big of a deal?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I remember the $25 oil changes from a couple of decades ago and the 3k oil intervals that shops wanted us to go with....
I'm not convinced that the quick lube or local shops make the changes much cheaper than a dealership.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
At Walmart you can get a jug of 20K mile full synthetic SP rated motor oil and a 25K mile oil filter for $25. Bought it last Sunday.:)

Reactions: Beantown

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
66 Posts
Honda Canada sets prices regionally for these types of services.

When I was doing a cost analysis on whether or not to buy the just introduced Honda Plus Advantage program earlier this year, oil and filter changes were $80. They are now $98, but that is still cheaper than any franchised quick oil change places.

I found this while doing a Google search:

·
Administrator
20,054 Posts
Anyone else getting ridiculous increases in oil change prices from their dealership stealership?
My '19 MX-5 Miata is due for it's first tire rotation and second oil change (by time) at 5,000 miles. My local Mazda dealer will do both for $50 including the recommended Castrol full-synthetic oil - that's less that my cost for the supplies and labor.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Price sounds about right, my local stealership price matches the Chevron oil change across from them… last time I paid $45.

You can always DIY and save your self the $20-$30.

Since I had to deal with a good will repair (out of warranty) having my truck serviced and having records with the local stealership help my case. Not sure how relevant it is but telling them (Honda Corporate) it always got service by Honda stealership helped.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
614 Posts
My dealer also charges $70 for oil and filter. They tried to sneak in a $60 tire balance on my tire rotation which I didn't ask for. They also like to change oil every 5,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,893 Posts
My Subaru dealer charges $85 for an oil change on my Outback, but it does require 7+ qts of oil.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you don't like getting under your vehicle, perhaps one of those oil extractor pumps would be useful for you? I changed my oil a week ago in like 30 minutes without lifting the truck. Turning your wheels to the left gives you access to the filter. I want to say with Costco oil and a Purolator filter, the oil change ran like $25 after tax. A few DIY's in less time than it takes to drive to a dealer and wait for work, would make it worth the $$ if you're able.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
852 Posts
A few DIY's in less time than it takes to drive to a dealer and wait for work, would make it worth the $$ if you're able.
Completely agree. You will spend less time faffing around, get a better job and satisfaction by doing it yourself. I too have started using a Mityvac (oil extractor) and the oil/filter change is so easy and quick.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'll third the extractor, it really does make it easy. Plus I use the big baggie over the filter to make sure I don't spill any oil.

Reactions: tmz

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had my oil changed today and tires rotaged, $80 and change. I was thinking it had really gone up…

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Retailers want that stimulus money that households received.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Mine used to charge 35-40 bucks for a standard oil change. My wife took her CR-V in for one the other week and they charged her a whopping 70 bucks for the service. I called and they made some pretty contradictory claims:

3. Despite saying #2, they also said that all their oil costs the same, synthetic or not

My '19 BE is coming up for an oil change soon (and likely rear diff too since it's at 16.5k+) and I'm debating telling them to get lost and taking it to a shop I trust that I usually use post-warranty.
You can have your oil changed wherever you want as long as the oil and filter meet Honda specifications.

In comparing the oil change for 35-40 vs 70, what are the differences in product and service included? Do they have the lower cost option available if that will make you comfortable.

There is a difference in cost between full synthetic, synthetic blend, and non-synthetic dinosaur oil. Full synthetic is highly recommended and the dealer may now be promoting using that product.

With the longer interval oil changes and Honda's approval for filter change every other oil change, is the $70 that big of a deal?
be thankful you dont own a Mercedes, they are around $250.00 for an oil change, I use a private Tech, & get it for half the dealership price

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline RTL fwd
1 Posts
My dealer also charges $70 for oil and filter. They tried to sneak in a $60 tire balance on my tire rotation which I didn't ask for. They also like to change oil every 5,000 miles.

My first thought is have you been to Walmart or an auto parts store lately to buy any quart of oil? I was shocked recently when I went to buy oil for changing my lawn mower oil, no oil less than $5 a quart except recycled oil. You can buy a 5qt container of full synthetic Castrol for around $25-30.

My next point is have you bought one of the aftermarket oil filters and then bought an OEM Honda filter and compared them? Google a comparison and watch one of those videos where they cut them in half to see the material inside. It convinced me to only buy the Honda filter since I plan to drive my Honda for many years plus they come with a new washer for the drain plug.
My last point is when I was young changing my own oil was something I enjoyed doing but now that I’m older I prefer to pay someone to do that task. I also believe in rotating my tires each oil change which you don’t get done if you use the express oil change shops. So $50-80 is probably a fair price these days!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts