Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to discover today that my RL has been burning oil! OK, so I don't actually check the oil every time I gas up (who has time for that? Besides, it's a new truck, so it should be fine, right?). Last time I checked it was 2 months ago, before we towed the trailer with the little car on it, and it was full at that time.

Here's my stats:
Just under 4000 miles
Oil life is at 30%
As mentioned, towed once at about 2K miles (tow weight <= 3500 lbs)
Live in a very hilly area
Drive calmly to mildly aggressively depending on my mood and the stupidity of those around me on the road

My dipstick reads half-way between the upper mark and the lower mark. I checked it before starting the car this evening, on level ground, after getting an even lower reading this morning when I gassed up. (I figured maybe all the oil hadn't returned to the pan when I checked it this morning, and I reckon I was right about that.)

Anyone else? Any advice? I've heard over the years that it's "normal" for cars to burn oil, even new ones... this just surprised me because no one else seems to have posted anything like this! Maybe it's just me? :(

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Mine was the same. Normal.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
New engine and towing something.:eek: Engine had to work a little harder than normal. Break in oil is thinner and will burn out faster. I'd change the oil and filter. :D What is the color of the inside part of your exhaust tailpipe? Black or white? Black could mean trouble:( , white is normal. Look around the engine see if any is dripping out somewhere?
All else fails take it back to the dealer and have them look and check her our for ya.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're down 1/2 a quart in 4000 miles. I don't know Honda's standard , but I have a Miata, and Mazda's policy is 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal (not that I agree).

You're fine.... no worries. Enjoy you're ride.:)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
jeffro said:
You're down 1/2 a quart in 4000 miles.
Actually, it looks like the loss occurred in the last 2,000 miles. If the first 2,000 didn't produce the same result, I'd be looking for a problem.

I don't know Honda's standard , but I have a Miata, and Mazda's policy is 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal (not that I agree).
If that's Honda's position, many of us will have completely replaced the oil, and then some, before an oil change is due.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
jeffro said:
You're down 1/2 a quart in 4000 miles. I don't know Honda's standard , but I have a Miata, and Mazda's policy is 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal (not that I agree).

You're fine.... no worries. Enjoy you're ride.:)
Yeah but Mazda's standard comes from the Rotary which just uses oil. Luckily my V6 doesn't change it's own oil.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Flymuck, my RL burned about 1/2 qt of oil in the first 1,000 miles but that was it. Still full at the first oil change at 5,556 miles.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies... sounds like it could be anything from "you might have a problem" to "normal". :) I'll take a peek up her exhaust pipe tomorrow to see if anything's amiss (I guess I just decided my RL is female...?)... I have not noticed any leaks under the truck, and the engine compartment itself looks as clean as it was on day one. I'm also going to poke around for the TSB someone mentioned might exist... and, of course, keep an eye on things. My first oil change is coming up in the next 1000 miles or so -- I'll have to watch out that my oil level doesn't drop significantly between now and then.

Thanks again!

Edit: I just looked for the TSB... alldata.com didn't have any info on this, but I followed the Edmunds page down far enough (now it says there are only 14 TSBs, and before it said there were 19??) to get this info:

Component Description:
3. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Bulletin Number: 805
Bulletin Date: AUG 2005
Vehicle: 2006 Honda Ridgeline

Summary:
ENGINE OIL LEAK(S) - DEALER VISIT REQUEST. *TT

It ain't much, but at least it gives me something to say to the dealership when I go in for my next oil change... (see, I said "ain't", which ain't even a word! :D )

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm at about 4500 miles, 30% OL, going on 3 months old, but no towing yet. I noticed it was about a 1/2 qt. down early on, probably around 1500-2000 miles. This surprised me for your same reasons, and I have been watching it since. However, it has not gone any lower and at this point I am not worried. Looking forward to that first oil change!

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's normal for new engines to eat oil during break in. I kid you not when I say the Honda engines take ~35-40k to truly break in, sometimes more. Just be sure to use dino. oil your first 10k or so then swap over to synthetic if this is even a consideration.

If you're towing and loading up the engine good without it really going through alot of heat cycles and a true extended break-in period, it's also going to eat some oil. Nothing permanent though - what you describe is very natural.

I once had a Tacoma that took 1 qt. of oil every 1500 miles for the first 6k of its life, then never a sip afterwards.

I'm also confused by the tailpipe statement...I'd say if you see 'whitish smoke' (all you should really be seeing is heated water vapor, our vehicles don't really 'smoke' unless we're beating them) so I wouldn't be too alarmed by that...but be alarmed if you see black smoke. The inside of your tailpipe will be black from carbon. If you drive with a heavy foot it will be darker, if you're getting 24mpg it's probably not too dark. If it's white - I'd say your truck has an addiction you don't know about.

·
Registered
668 Posts
mine has just about 3300 miles now, I have added 1.25 quarts of oil. the first 800 miles had to add .75 quarts, the other .75 since that time. after the first oil change I'll watch it close. just turned 40% on the OLM meter

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! These last few posts make me feel a lot better. I'll keep an eye on things, but it looks like it's not a problem. Thanks, everyone! :D

·
Registered
678 Posts
After 1500 miles on my Ridge the oil was down about a quarter to half a quart. I drive it easy so it wasn't from anything hard. It's new so I would wait a while before having it checked. Top it off with a quality dino 5w-20 oil and keep a close eye on it until the first change. If it continues past that I would be concerned. If the dealer see's no issue with a quart being burned every oil change cycle I would consider bumping the oil up to a 5w-30 weight and see if it improves. That's all in the future and may not even be needed though....good luck.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Mine also has not used a drop since the breakin oil was in the motor. 13.5K now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: Oil consumption pre-1st oil change!

My RL was down 1/2 qrt the day I received it with 30 miles on the odometer. So much for dealer inspection at delivery... :(.
I decided not to add oil at that time since I understood the OEM oil was special, and I did not want to start mixing different oils on the 1st day of use.
Now I am at 6,700 miles with the oil life at 5%. The oil is down another 1/2 qrt (ie, at the add mark) ... :eek:.
I added 1/2 qrt of synthetic blend, and will be changing the oil/filter this weekend.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts