Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m sure this has been covered somewhere. And from what I understand all of these part numbers will work for the Ridgeline. I’ve had an odyssey, CRV, and now a Ridgeline over the years. And usually buy my filters in bulk. The model that I’m using on my CRV now that I have in my shop is 15400-PLM-A01.

I’ve seen newer model numbers listed for the Ridgeline. Just curious if this is a simple model change/number update for Honda. Or is there anything different about the other Honda filters. Assuming I can just continue to use the model that I have on the shelf for my 2019 G2.

Are these filters truly all interchangeable?
15400-PLM-A01
15400-PLM-A02
15400-RTA-003

*excluding the s2000

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's another one for you:
15400-PCX-004
So, is there any benefit to using one over another? I’ve read that they are interchangeable, my only reason for questioning this is the oil weight is different in the ridgeline. Than my odyssey and crv.

If they are the same then I’m hooked up and have a 6 pack already. But if a change was made to accommodate the 0w-20 oils I’d like to use the right filter. :)

From this video, it appears that Honda changes model numbers depending on manufacturers...?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I’m sure this has been covered somewhere. And from what I understand all of these part numbers will work for the Ridgeline. I’ve had an odyssey, CRV, and now a Ridgeline over the years. And usually buy my filters in bulk. The model that I’m using on my CRV now that I have in my shop is 15400-PLM-A01.

I’ve seen newer model numbers listed for the Ridgeline. Just curious if this is a simple model change/number update for Honda. Or is there anything different about the other Honda filters. Assuming I can just continue to use the model that I have on the shelf for my 2019 G2.

Are these filters truly all interchangeable?
15400-PLM-A01
15400-PLM-A02
15400-RTA-003

*excluding the s2000

Thanks.
Yes it's been covered before it's in G1 & G2 threads I am sure.
I have posted on the topic a few times because it's just plain internet rumor. The rumor is very very very old so I don't put any stock in it. The 154000 PLM-A02 filter is the same filter my Acura Dealership puts on my 2000 Acura 3.2TL it will be 20 years this Dec 31 that I have had it. The Honda Dealerships uses the same 154000 PLM-A02 oil filter on the 2007 Ridgeline. Back at some point in the early years of ownership with my 2000 TL they changed the filter numbers from A01 to A02 so this could have been as far back as 2002-2003 time frame.
The rumor was the A02 was a bad filter everybody was scrambling to get A01 and stock up on them this was many many years ago when this started. So people need to use some common sense Honda/Acura have been using A02 for many years on vehicles.I was on the old AOL Acura TL forums way back early 2000s when the change was made.
So as said my 2000 Acura when newer got the A01 filter then the Acura dealer changed to A02.
The 2007 Ridgeline has always got the A02 filter at the Honda Dealership.
I have all the invoice copies from each vehicle example Ridgeline Honda Service invoice September 2016 oil change 15400-PLM-A02.
The 2000 Acura 3.2TL Acura Service invoice June 2016 oil filter 15400-PLM- A02

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also buy them in bulk and use them on our 08 CRV, 11 Pilot (traded in), 16 Accord and now the 19 RL. Talked with my local Dealer Parts Mgr and he stated that all Honda oil filters are interchangeable. I tend to order the ones that come with a new crush washer for the drain plug seeing there is little to no cost difference when you get them by the dozen. Saw a little Honda 2cyl engine the other day and the filter on that was 15400-RTA-003

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think so but it desires verification. FWIW, I used the 15400-PLM-A01 filters on my first-generation Honda Valkyrie flat six-cylinder engine.
Excellent point Farther, when in doubt verify with the manufacturer of the product.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you are changing your oil on a regular schedule, it is my opinion that as long as you stick with a name brand filter, it makes little to no difference which one you choose.

(Added note: I have yet to see any non-biased study proving absolutely that using any one oil/filter actually leads to longer engine longevity.)

Bill

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
If you are changing your oil on a regular schedule, it is my opinion that as long as you stick with a name brand filter, it makes little to no difference which one you choose.
(Added note: I have yet to see any non-biased study proving absolutely that using any one oil/filter actually leads to longer engine longevity.)
I tend to agree with you and to add one thing. All the so-called oil filter studies have been visual not performance evaluations. Kind of judging a book by its cover. I would like to see a performance study as well as just cutting open a filter and guessing at what you are looking at.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I would like to see a performance study ….
Amen.

Rows of filters on a test bench being fed a steady diet of oil spiked with various contaminants, real-time logging of pressure drop across the filters, with contaminant removal efficiency determined by incremental oil analyses over a long time period.

Yeah, it'd take more than a can-opener and tin-snips, but gee that'd be a worthwhile read. Might bust some myths and expose some surprising findings. No, not holding my breath waiting for that one, but seems it might be a fun, maybe even worthwhile, study for some university engineering lab to design and publish.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I would think that Honda has done some type of study or relied on a study to determine the quality/performance of the Honda branded filter. On my '06 Honda Element (pre-maintenance minder), the recommended oil change interval was 5k miles and the filter change was every other oil change. How did Honda arrive at that recommendation?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm sure that both OEs and aftermarket filter manufacturers regularly undertake or commission various purpose-focused studies of the general sort I fantasize. There's nothing technically new, difficult, or earthshaking in my fantasy; just the scope, purpose, and publishing of the undertaking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts