Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all my past experiences, I have found that changing oil/filter every 3,000 mi was a waste and not necessary. This interval is encouraged by local dealers to increase their profit on service. However, as a general rule I usually do a service every 5,000 mi. How many out there are following the computer service recommendations or doing something else.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
HAL is boss.

·
Registered
51 Posts
at what percent oil life will you do the oil change 10, 5 or till as close to 0?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Service Due Now

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
ridgelurker said:
at what percent oil life will you do the oil change 10, 5 or till as close to 0?
Haven't thought that far ahead. Probably at Service Due Now, unless I'm getting close and have a big trip ahead of me. I'm at 60% now with a trip to FL coming up, so it won't be too much longer until I have to start seriously thinking about it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Useful to note that Toyota had a big problem with engines sludging up when people went over 3000.... however Toyota admited it was an enginnering problem with the oil flow in the upper galleys.

....So the only two times you would change at 3000 miles would be if you have a incorrectly designed engine OR if you want to help the oil change place make more money.

I'll stick to the computer but will use Synthetic oil

-W

·
Registered
264 Posts
Changing the oil is cheap. Not following the manufacturers instructions and chancing voiding or screwing up your warranty is not only foolish but potentially expensive.
I will stick with the program.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just had mine done at the dealer (free). I was at 5100 and they changed it, they said to run the factory oil until 5000 then change. Something about break in oil. I am very impressed so far, I normally drive my 04 Dodge dually. Kinda nice to fit in a parking spot. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've always gone with the 3k rule and have been using synthetic since the late 80s. I've always and still do all my own oil changes however I may just follow the program with the ridgeline and change the oil when HAL says it's around the 85~95% time frame. Not sure if I'll take it into the dealer/quick change though, I just need to find out how to let HAL know that I've changed to oil or unless HAL senses that too. ;)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Tux said:
I've always gone with the 3k rule and have been using synthetic since the late 80s. I've always and still do all my own oil changes however I may just follow the program with the ridgeline and change the oil when HAL says it's around the 85~95% time frame. Not sure if I'll take it into the dealer/quick change though, I just need to find out how to let HAL know that I've changed to oil or unless HAL senses that too. ;)
I think the manual tells you how to reset it. I read it somewhere, just don't remember how you do it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I don't think HAL knows the oil was changed unless you tell it by doing a reset. I don't have the manual as I am out of town but I think it is in there. If not, I know there are people here who have changed their own oil so maybe they can provide resetting instructions.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shortspark said:
I don't think HAL knows the oil was changed unless you tell it by doing a reset. I don't have the manual as I am out of town but I think it is in there. If not, I know there are people here who have changed their own oil so maybe they can provide resetting instructions.
It's in the manual, hold the reset button down for 10 seconds then you are presented with a Yes/No prompt for the reset.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i too am uneasy about the oil change interval....but after reading many, many
posts on this site ive decided to go by the computer. i know vertrkr suggested a website to learn more about oil, etc..........after about 10 minutes on that site i got tired head and said to heck with it......... :eek:
i do know that at one time on a HONDA website, it stated that it does "absolutely no good" to change the oil earlier than recommended. again, this was on the HONDA website. yes it goes against everything ive known or done, but its 2005 and so maybe i can change :rolleyes:
plus, changing the oil may be cheap but its not as cheap as it used to be. add up all those oil changes over the time of ownership and thats alot of money. hey, you buy a 30,000 + auto, honda especially, your maintence needs should be signifcantly reduced. that is part of the vehicles performance and character. low maintenance. :) :cool:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
jeffiam said:
i do know that at one time on a HONDA website, it stated that it does "absolutely no good" to change the oil earlier than recommended.
Not to mention that all that oil that goes to the engine could be used to be refined into gasoline. If everyone did their oil changes at the true recommended interval (7500 miles instead of 3000), it could have an impact on the price of gas (cheaper). So you pay over twice as much for maintenance and pay more for gas. That's a win-win for the oil companies. :confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
swampler said:
Not to mention that all that oil that goes to the engine could be used to be refined into gasoline. If everyone did their oil changes at the true recommended interval (7500 miles instead of 3000), it could have an impact on the price of gas (cheaper). So you pay over twice as much for maintenance and pay more for gas. That's a win-win for the oil companies. :confused:
Are you sure about that? I thought gasoline was one of those volatiles that is removed early in the crude refining process.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi,

Started to work today with 100 percent oil life ~580 miles; looked at again 603 it was at 90%;
It got me thinking that it was hard coded in the "oil computer" for the first service?
Has anyone ordered manuals yet, is anything in them describing HAL? I am planning on ordering them just waiting to see my bank account recover somewhat ;)
Normal I shoot for 5k miles oil changes, which is long for a bad winter like we had in NH this year.

:confused: I thought break in oil went out in the 50's :eek: I would change the oil at the first 2k, the cost is almost nothing, but it looks like the wrong thing to do. :D

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I noticed the same thing once I hit 600 miles - 90%. So maybe it is hard coded in the computer for the first oil change or else our driving habits are the same. I think the break-in oil for Honda is some special blend that is really high quality stuff. I'm pretty sure I read that here or at some other site. I also heard it is suppose to stay in the engine for 5000 miles or until HAL says to change (which most drivers are reporting seems to occur at around 6,000-7,000 miles).

Another member, Nicholas, just got his first oil change lab report back (he changed oil when HAL said 5% at a little past 6,000 miles). He will report the results soon so look for it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts