Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
About a year ago I went on a crusade to search the net for every test and info I could find about oil filters. I spent a couple months reading everthing I could find and some guys went to extensive lengths buying all the filters on the market and running them thru some pretty eloborate tests and finally cutting them all open.

The verdict from my vast searches was Mobil 1 was the best filter to use.

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The findings are in and he concluded that Mobil1 was not only a surprise, but also one of the worst filters he examined. There's quite a bit more info up now in a newly-linked thread he put up just this afternoon. To his credit, he's also got something like two decades experience as an auto mechanic.

Enjoy! ;)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Not guilty. I'm a pragmatist more than anything. :)

The fact that this guy is an auto mechanic is just one point of data. For all we know he could be a lousy mechanic, or he could be the second coming of Smokey Yunick. I know electrical engineers who can't wire their house correctly.

You spend your money, you make your choices.

·
Registered
89 Posts
what this guy failed to mention is that the bosch and mobil 1 fliter cartridge is made up of a synthetic fiber thus it doesnt have to be as big an element as in the other filters it filters better than those other filters with the bigger element, plus its filter to flow ratio is allot better i will try and find the web site i saw this on and post it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Amsoil filter part #SDF13 this is what i use on my RL along with amsoil 5w20 oil, i use mobil 1 in my maxima and in my mazda both oil and filter with great results

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I read his whole thread and even printed it out for my next trip the the auto parts store. He certainly did alot of work, but what bigridge says may be true.

It's hard to say which filter performs the best just by doing visual inspections. Smaller or different looking may be deceiving. It could be superior materials or a more inovative design. The Ridgeline itself is an example of this!

The real test of any filter is what micron size particles it will trap and how many it will hold before blinding (pluging). It seems counter intuitive, but a filter performs better as it starts to clog. This holds true in an automobile oil filter, up until it becomes so cloged that it starts to bypass the filter media.

Anyone know if Consumer Reports has ever done oil filters? They may have more quantitative test methods. I'll search the web later and post if I find anything.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quik question please, is it been stated that the Mobil 1 - 110 oil filter isn't up to par??? This is the replacement for the stock factory filter...just wondering???

·
Registered
10,043 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Nicholas said:
Quik question please, is it been stated that the Mobil 1 - 110 oil filter isn't up to par??? This is the replacement for the stock factory filter...just wondering???
Haven't read it yet but from what I got from this thread is the 110 was compared to a filter twice it's size so that's hardly a fair comparison. Mobil1 is a top of the line filter, you can not go wrong with it. Also of note, they have redesigned their filters and the new ones in black cans will be hitting the store shelves this month. Word on the street is it's a mesh backed, nano-fiber synthetic media. Not real data released on it yet but here's their page anyway:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/M...Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_Oil_Filters.aspx

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've also read from another source that the Mobil 1 was surprisingly disappointing in quality (not even close to being worth the 10+ dollars they charge for it), but buy what ever gives you the warm fuzzies.

Seems like there is a consensus that Supertech (Wal-Mart), Honda (Filtech label) as well as Napa Gold (made by Wix) are excellent filters. Stay away from Honda (Honeywell label) because it't the worst Fram.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts