Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a truck with more towing capacity than my Ridgeline, but it sure looks like there are a number of tradeoffs, especially with ride comfort and road handling (AWD). For me, it doesn't look like there is a truck that has everything the Ridgeline has, except with more towing capacity, so I'm going to keep my 08 Gen 1 for awhile. 85,000 miles at this point, so it's got a lot of life left. Considering rustproofing the underside. Anyone done it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was following the same route with my 2008 EX-L. I've got almost the same mileage,about 115000km, and for the similar reasons decided to keep it for a few more years. I've just had Krown Rust protection applied to it. On the other hand I've got DiamodKote DK9000 unit installed at the time of purchase in 2008. It wasn't working for the most of last year but I've managed to fix it just before application of Krown spray.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I just bought my G2 a month and 1/2 ago and the first thing I did was to protect the underside and panels with Fluid film. It's one of those ones that is a waxy surface protectant and you have to reapply it every year to the wear areas to reprotect it. Check out the link for it.

FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication

I bought their application tools and used a gallon and 6 spray cans to do it all. The spray gun they sell works very well applying it too. I'm happy with the results for sure.

Steve M

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I didn't like how the tar type of treatments would trap water behind the coats in the past. Figured this time I would go with Fluid Film as a result of that previous experience. It may or may not be better but this is going to be a long term test and I'll reapply it every fall. I'm planning on this truck being my one and only ever truck so i'll find out eventually how it works out !

Steve M

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK. Good luck with it. I was asking you about your choice because Krown offers lifetime warranty against rust for any new car when treatment started within 6 month from the purchase and then repeated annually. It might still make sense for you to have a look at their website.

Mike

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've been using Rust Check for over 20yrs on all my vehicles and swear by it. No rust and very easy to work on if you have to replace parts. Due to a dispute with the new owners of the business, I'm switching to Known this year. The product is similar (maybe better) and has excellent reviews. The product is only as good as the person applying it.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Yep, but we don't have Krown in the states. I know they are a good product. Have Canadian friends that use it and love it.

Steve M

edit: After the guy's comments below I called a kinda local place in West Middlesex. It might be worth a trip there if anyone wants a decent undercoating job. It's only worth it if you are planning on keeping these things the 10 years you'd have to or longer.

some notes after talking with them:

1. It's $139.95 for a full undercoating
2. takes about an hour so you don't have to drop off and come back for it.
3. It has to be reapplied every year.
4. They have to be recertified by Krown every year to ensure quality control of the application
5. It is a moisture displacing product so it can be reapplied in rain or snow and doesn't require "drying or curing"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, but we don't have Krown in the states. I know they are a good product. Have Canadian friends that use it and love it.

Steve M
I just actually looked at their site and there are places listed close to our area (I'm in eastern Ohio and Pittsburgh). Looks like the closest is Salem, OH or West Middlesex, PA. I'm going to give them a call as I really want to keep my new truck rust free. It was a losing battle on my last. Thanks for the heads up on them.

https://secure.gotwww.com/gotlocations.com/krown/wap.php?bypass=y&c=

1 - 9 of 9 Posts