Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey y'all. I joined to RL gang a month ago with an 07, 140k miles. I need to get the timing belt and water pump replaced and noticed this leak. Wondering if anyone know what it could be. I'd like to go in with a bit of knowledge about what could be wrong when I get the work done. That spot is from 2 weeks of sitting so it seems like a slow leak. Any ideas are much appreciated!
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
The oil puddle looks like it is directly under the drain bolt so eliminate first any issues with the drain plug threads and the compression washer. Your other pictures show oil wetness on some other surfaces I can't readily identify. I came to this post searching for oil pump leaks which I think I might have. It is presenting with a very very slow leak from the head of the drain bolt (the lowest point of the engine in that area) but there is an obvious path of oil wetness coming from above it. If it is your oil pump have it replaced when the timing belt is done since all that disassembly labor has to happen to get to the oil pump. And, I've heard that a leaky oil pump seal can also drip on to the inside surface of the timing belt degrading it quickly for a premature failure. It looks like your timing belt is exposed in your picture, is there any evidence of oil on the inside surface of the timing belt? Let us know how this turns out...failed parts...repair costs etc...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You best bet is to clean it. And take a peak every 100 miles or less. You can get oil dye kits as well to better track it. It does look a little more concentrated around the bolt though.

I had a leak just like that. It was wet around the rear main bolt so I resealed that. Couple hundred miles later it was wet again, but more dry around the bolt. Im pretty sure it was mostly coming from the crank seal because when I did the timing belt it was wet around the seal. But at my mileage I just ended up resealing everything in that area. oil pump,oil filter housing etc.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,762 Posts
Also check the Spool Valve gasket around the filter assembly. It is the gasket that sits behind the spool valve (where the oil filter threads into).
Also, check the valve cover gaskets. Rear bank it hard to check, but the front bank should be easy. If you find any oily dirt buildup around the front edges of the valve cover, or around the valve cover bolts, then you maybe looking at bad seals that need changing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts