Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2006 Ridgeline RTL with a oil leak coming from above or around the oil filter area. Had it into the shop twice, and they have replaced the oil pump and the oil crank seal, but still having a small leak. Asked about a rear main seal leak, and was told that it was not a problem.

They said they drove it and let it run for a while and it didn't leak at the shop. Got it back and drove it for about an hour today, and still seeing the leak tonight. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
A picture of the area would certainly help in assessing the real culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A picture of the area would certainly help in assessing the real culprit.
That's a good call. One pic is the amount that leaked out overnight. I did the besu I could with the others - I can't crawl all the way under because of a recent injury.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Resealing the oil pump requires removing the oil pan,exhaust and alot of other things. So more then likely unless your bill was in the thousands...they did not do it.

That is a good amount of oil....make sure the old gasket of the old oil filter isnt still on the oil filter mount. On the cheaper filters they tend to stay stuck to the motor and nobody notices and put the new filter on and it does not seal at all.

But better pictures of the side of the motor will be needed to really give any further advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bill was in the neighborhood of $1000, so I'm assuming they did it. Anyway, it's back at the shop now. Hopefully they find it this time.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
The bill was in the neighborhood of $1000, so I'm assuming they did it. Anyway, it's back at the shop now. Hopefully they find it this time.
Hoping it will be something minor. That was quite a bit of oil for just overnight. Definitely something that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ditto on STUV's recommendation. I've seen this happen on many vehicles over a number of years. Tech at the shop or "Iffy lube" uses a wench to take the old filter off and to put the new one on. Removing the old one with one hard jerk of a filter wrench can leave a small piece of the old rubber gasket stuck to the mating surface on the housing. Over tightening the new filter with a wrench can cause folds in the new gasket and leaking.

I worked in shops for several years and with my finger apply a little film of fresh oil and rub it around the filter gasket, then only hand tight when screwing the new filter on. Never use a filter wrench to install a filter. Hand tight only. I've done every filter change on my 2008, never a problem.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,921 Posts
Turns out it was power steering fluid. There was a seal that had deteriorated and needed to be replaced. One of the high pressure hoses was weeping PS fluid as well.
That must have been one dark PS fluid. Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts